Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
so far nothing for me, so I'm still the record holder.
a dubious distinction to be sure, and while you seem to be close to in the running, you may still have a long ways to go to win the award.

Just one point of comparison - it took 12 weeks for my applications: 5 weeks to go the 142 miles from post office in DC and be received at Philadelphia processing center. It took another 6 weeks after that for the approval notification and then about another week for the new passports and then cards to actually arrive. And mine is far from the worst.....
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by twindaddy
Two minors, applied at post office on August 6th. Regular processing, sent to Philly.

Checks cashed, in process on August 24rd. Signed up for email status updates. Never got one update ever. None.

September 9th, printing.
September 11th, shipped priority mail. I only know this because my informed delivery told me. Tracking shows shipped from Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas.

September 13th, one received, September 14th, other other received. Return address on envelope is from Seattle, which matches locator number.

Never got one email update from Department of State.

The same day we applied in person for our twins, we dropped renewals for mom and dad (me) in the mail. Cashed and in process on August 24th, no updates since then. Priority mail envelope they were sent in has never been scanned in.
My passport is now on the way.

Mailed renewal with old passport to Philly office on August 6th. Priority mail was never scanned at destination but apparently that is common as I read they have their own post office.

Check cashed August 24

October 8th: Approved and shipped.

October 12th: Received, hopefully. But it's on the way. Mailed from Tucson but located number matches to New Orleans.

Passport for twinwife, sent the same day, is still in processing stage. No movement since check cashed in August. Her locator is New Hampshire

Last edited by twindaddy; Oct 9, 2021 at 12:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 9, 2021, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by trs23
I wonder if I'm going to hit the record for passport delays. Standard service, no rush, we don't have any international travel plans until Feb.

7/22/2021: Appointment at USPS for my two underage kids to renew their passports
8/06/2021: Passport "received" according to US Passport website (42 locator - New Orleans)
crickets....
Still no movement? Mine went the same place as yours, about three weeks after yours, and is on the way to me as of yesterday. For my kids we got theirs a month ago but theirs went to Seattle.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
a dubious distinction to be sure, and while you seem to be close to in the running, you may still have a long ways to go to win the award.

Just one point of comparison - it took 12 weeks for my applications: 5 weeks to go the 142 miles from post office in DC and be received at Philadelphia processing center. It took another 6 weeks after that for the approval notification and then about another week for the new passports and then cards to actually arrive. And mine is far from the worst.....
When was that?
We had a passport appointment in the same area on Monday, check cashed and status "in process" on Thursday (seems to have gone to Boston). Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by tr3k
When was that?
We had a passport appointment in the same area on Monday, check cashed and status "in process" on Thursday (seems to have gone to Boston). Fingers crossed.
I submitted applications in mid-March, received books in mid-June.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by DeacDiggler
I applied for routine service - sent it in early July.
8/2 - in the system
8/3 - check cashes
9/7 - requested expedited service via email with cc info - never charged and apparently my request to expedite was declined.
And no movement since. It is a 68 code.

I am traveling on 10/18, so I called for an urgent appointment. I now have to fly from CLT-DTW to go to my appointment, since there were no openings in ATL, DC, or PHL. Also my appointment is the morning of 10/18, so after all this I may end up missing my flight. Very frustrating. I'm hoping for the regular process to finally go through. I feel better after reading about some of the faster times - surely they'll get to mine soon!!!
Still nothing. I looked back - mailed on July 2. They didn't mark it into the system for a month, but still....this is ridiculous.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:04 pm

Final DP:

Applied to renew (large) passport book + card. Expedited processing and shipping.

9/07: Mailed renewal application
9/10: Marked as delivered to PA
9/14: "In Process" with a locator # starting with 68
10/05: Online status showed "Approved"
10/07: Passport book arrived in mail. old epassport, NOT next gen.
10/09: Passport card arrived in mail

I haven't received the old passport back yet.

Last edited by travel44ever; Oct 12, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:19 am

Ugh.... Got a Christmas-time trip to Dubai set up with my family -- then I notice my daughter will only have 4 months of validity left on her passport...

Luckily I snagged an appointment at an acceptance facility tomorrow for her, will expedite and pay for express mail. 10 weeks from tomorrow is the day after our outbound flight so hoping for a little luck. I'll report my times here so you get a data point.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:09 pm

Passport renewal request from southern CA:

7/7/21 - mailed passport (regular service)
7/28/21 - website showed application status as processing
10/15/21 - passport received, mailed from NH - old style passport
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by 22calbr
Passport renewal request from southern CA:

7/7/21 - mailed passport (regular service)
7/28/21 - website showed application status as processing
10/15/21 - passport received, mailed from NH - old style passport
Thanks for that data point. Given that my wife's app was mailed in three weeks later and has the same processing center, I am betting we will have a few more weeks to wait.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:08 am

reference point: child renewal at USPS, expedited everything

9/25 applied for both kids to renew at the post office, expedited application and express return mail
9/27 applications arrived at destination (Philadelphia) according to USPS
10/16 as of today, both applications still say "not available" and that it may take up to 4 weeks to be listed as "in process". Check has not been cashed. It's only been 3 weeks, but this doesn't seem like a good sign...

How bad is this?? We have flight itinerary/price locked for another week, at which point we will have to decide whether to book for this trip that would start Nov. 18 (which would be just under 8 weeks from when we applied). Dates are not flexible. Do we have hope?

My adult application renewal was mailed (expedited) the same day from the same USPS facility, and showed up as in process on 9/29, with check cashed the same day. No movement since then.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by rebecuna
reference point: child renewal at USPS, expedited everything

9/25 applied for both kids to renew at the post office, expedited application and express return mail
9/27 applications arrived at destination (Philadelphia) according to USPS
10/16 as of today, both applications still say "not available" and that it may take up to 4 weeks to be listed as "in process". Check has not been cashed. It's only been 3 weeks, but this doesn't seem like a good sign...

How bad is this?? We have flight itinerary/price locked for another week, at which point we will have to decide whether to book for this trip that would start Nov. 18 (which would be just under 8 weeks from when we applied). Dates are not flexible. Do we have hope?

My adult application renewal was mailed (expedited) the same day from the same USPS facility, and showed up as in process on 9/29, with check cashed the same day. No movement since then.
So it looks like your applications have not even been scanned in yet. Based on my internet research on this thread, you might be in trouble. The only hail Mary play you have left is a congressional inquiry. Google who your congressperson / representative is, they all have contact forms on their website and "passport help" is a choice. Sometimes that gets things moving. Technically given the timelines the State Department has given, you should not get yours in time, but there are data points on here of people getting passports in a month with congressional help.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Received and processing on 9/16 Philadelphia. Check cashed same day.
Approved exactly 1 month later 10/16 according.
Paid for expedited of course. (Not sure why anyone would not)
Received 10/20 (after weekend)
Old Version : (

PP Card received 3 days later.

Last edited by chavala; Oct 24, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by twindaddy
So it looks like your applications have not even been scanned in yet. Based on my internet research on this thread, you might be in trouble. The only hail Mary play you have left is a congressional inquiry. Google who your congressperson / representative is, they all have contact forms on their website and "passport help" is a choice. Sometimes that gets things moving. Technically given the timelines the State Department has given, you should not get yours in time, but there are data points on here of people getting passports in a month with congressional help.
Thank you. I reached out to my Senator's office and his aide responded right away and has submitted an inquiry. Really hoping that works!!
Old Oct 20, 2021, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Now it's my turn.

Routine new application submitted to USPS in DC today, 10/20. No travel plans until March 2022 so I have the time to wait ...

Updates:
Marked as processing 10/25
Check cashed 10/26

Last edited by silverthief2; Oct 26, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.