Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 5:16 pm

I'd been hearing times from 2-6 months for passport renewal, so I used the expedited option (which can still be 2+ months). I was totally surprised to get my passport today, 2 weeks and a day after I mailed it. Fantastic turn-around time!
Old Oct 21, 2021, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Travlur
I'd been hearing times from 2-6 months for passport renewal, so I used the expedited option (which can still be 2+ months). I was totally surprised to get my passport today, 2 weeks and a day after I mailed it. Fantastic turn-around time!
New type or old type passport?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:11 am

Sorry, not sure what you mean by new type or old type? Old passports was 9.5 years old, ordered the new one standard book.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Sorry, not sure what you mean by new type or old type? Old passports was 9.5 years old, ordered the new one standard book.
I think they’re asking if it’s the next-gen passport many have been receiving (including me).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-passport.html
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:16 am

prior to oct 20, there was a note on the status page that says there was a system update on October 20 and status would not reflect until the update. Now there is message. Has anyone gotten updated status of their application since yesterday? Just curious.

passport agencies have started issuing the new next generation passports that look different than the old style passports.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by myperks
prior to oct 20, there was a note on the status page that says there was a system update on October 20 and status would not reflect until the update. Now there is message. Has anyone gotten updated status of their application since yesterday? Just curious.

passport agencies have started issuing the new next generation passports that look different than the old style passports.
It looks like issuance of the next generation is inconsistent as it seems some people are being issued the older version epassport. Probably won’t be next year (summer or autumn) until the next generation is the only version being issued.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nayef
I think they’re asking if it’s the next-gen passport many have been receiving (including me).

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-passport.html
Ah, thanks. Yes I did get the next-gen passport.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 4:12 pm

For a minor with expedited processing:

Applied - 10/13/21 in SoCal
Accepted - 10/19/21 - check cashed, in Atlanta (74)

Originally Posted by ehchan
Ugh.... Got a Christmas-time trip to Dubai set up with my family -- then I notice my daughter will only have 4 months of validity left on her passport...

Luckily I snagged an appointment at an acceptance facility tomorrow for her, will expedite and pay for express mail. 10 weeks from tomorrow is the day after our outbound flight so hoping for a little luck. I'll report my times here so you get a data point.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 6:59 am

Only Tuscan has the next gen passport printing machines.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trs23
Where's Tuscan?

David
Old Oct 22, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by trs23
Originally Posted by DELee
Where's Tuscan?
My first thought was, I’m pretty sure we don’t have a passport facility in Tuscany, Italy!

I’m guessing that’s supposed to be Tucson.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Rare
My first thought was, I’m pretty sure we don’t have a passport facility in Tuscany, Italy!

I’m guessing that’s supposed to be Tucson.
And that someone's autocorrect got the better of them.

David
Old Oct 22, 2021, 5:26 pm

Yep gotta love auto-correct! Glad you guys figured it out that it was Tucson a lovely city in Arizona.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:08 am

Was your passport a mail in renewal? Did you request the large or regular sized book?
Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:10 am

Has anyone with a mail-in renewal received a next generation passport? If yes, did you request a regular or large sized book?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.