Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by dkes0001
Applied at Post office 9/10/21
Status shows in progress 9/14/21
Status shows approved 9/24/21
"You requested expedited service when you applied, which we are currently processing within 6 weeks. You should receive your passport book on or around 09/29/2021."

If it comes when they say it will be about 20 days from start to finish.
I am in Texas. Post office guy said he sends it to Irving Tx.

I was thinking I had 12 weeks. I never imagined it coming in the same month of application.

I am pretty shocked.
Passport arrived today.

18 days from the day I dropped it at the post office
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:44 pm

What office was yours processed through? Is it next gen?

Has anyone received a next gen large book?

My wife and I applied for the large book and card with expedited service.

9/07: Mailed renewal application
9/10: Marked as delivered to PA
9/14: "In Process" with a locator # starting with 68

Originally Posted by dkes0001
Passport arrived today.

18 days from the day I dropped it at the post office
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by travel44ever
What office was yours processed through? Is it next gen?

Has anyone received a next gen large book?

My wife and I applied for the large book and card with expedited service.

9/07: Mailed renewal application
9/10: Marked as delivered to PA
9/14: "In Process" with a locator # starting with 68
A couple of people received next-gen large books on some message boards I was on. Forgot which locator numbers they had though.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Baby Swede's passport expires in March 2022. No immediate int'l travel plans (sky-high prices to the Caribbean over Thanksgiving and Christmas squashed those ideas), but I still paid for expedited service just in case.

7/23 - Miraculous found an evening weekday appointment for 8/19 at the USPS Altura Facility in Aurora, CO
8/19 5:30pm - Took Baby Swede to get her passport renewed; Mrs. Swede had to attend Miss Swede's back-to-school night, so we got the DS-3053 form filled out
8/19 6:00pm - Arrived and knocked on the door; USPS employee confirmed name and let us in
8/19 6:05pm - Ask to approach the desk; USPS employee looks over everything and rejects the application. DS-3053 was filled out with blue ink, not black. Ugh.
8/19 6:10pm - USPS employee was super helpful, and said everything else was acceptable.
8/19 6:10pm - He also said that walk-ins are accepted first-come-first-serve between 9-11am every Tuesday through Saturday, but he did warn that people line up super early. It's not the Aurora Passport Agency, but hey.
8/19 7:00pm - Came home and hopped on my laptop to find another passport appointment that wasn't in the middle of the weekday 100 miles away
8/19 7:02pm - Book appointment for the next morning at 7:45am at the same USPS facility!
8/20 6:45am - Baby Swede, Mrs. Swede, and I drive back to Aurora
8/20 7:25am - Arrive and knock on the door; we're let inside
8/20 7:32am - The 7:30am appointment doesn't show up, so we're processed
8/20 7:45am - Back out the door

Props to the employees at the USPS Altura Facility. They run a super efficient operation.

tl;dr - if you don't want to drive to rural Colorado, you might want to give the walk-in line at the USPS Altura Facility a try
Whenever I remember, I would check the State Dept's website for her passport status. Each time it was "Not Available"--even when I checked around 9/19. The website did say "up to 4 weeks."

I come home from work on 9/22, and an Priority Mail envelope with Baby Swede's new passport is in it. It was issued on 9/21 and sent the same day from NH. I even signed up for e-mail updates, and I didn't receive a single e-mail.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Whenever I remember, I would check the State Dept's website for her passport status. Each time it was "Not Available"--even when I checked around 9/19. The website did say "up to 4 weeks."

I come home from work on 9/22, and an Priority Mail envelope with Baby Swede's new passport is in it. It was issued on 9/21 and sent the same day from NH. I even signed up for e-mail updates, and I didn't receive a single e-mail.
Not a rare kind of situation. It’s been frequent enough for passports of relevance to me that the absence of online status updates and emails not appearing has me taking this as being within the range of normal.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
when submitting a passport application, can one request which processing center to send it to?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
when submitting a passport application, can one request which processing center to send it to?
Not really. It’s completely random and the luck of the draw.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:42 pm

I just saw one of the new US Passports in person----Pretty cool!!!! The photo page is sealed in hard plastic like many European Passports.

And the Passport number started with a letter.

The government website says you may or may not get the new version right away

I sure hope I get one.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:16 pm

Mailed 8/30 for expedited service for a double-page passport
Entered tracking system as "In Progress" 9/3 with locator beginning with 68
Status updated to mailed on 9/29
Received today 9/30, not a next gen passport
Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by John Isaac
I just saw one of the new US Passports in person----Pretty cool!!!! The photo page is sealed in hard plastic like many European Passports.

And the Passport number started with a letter.

The government website says you may or may not get the new version right away

I sure hope I get one.
I got the next-gen passport and it’s pretty cool.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:02 pm

Here's my experience for reference:

8/26: Renewal Application for Child at Local Acceptance Facility (Expedite everything)
8/30: Tracking USPS shows arrival in PA facility
8/31: Check cashed
9/7: Application received - In Process - 42 location

9/13: Another? Application Received - In Process
9/30: Approved
9/30: Passport Arrives

Start to finish, 35 days for expedite
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:48 am

Nayef:
Lucky you. Mine just came in the mail today---and it was the old style. I'm disappointed.

It's probably random who gets it but I was wondering---I applied for a renewal on Aug. 30 & applied for the larger version with more pages.

Is yours the larger version or regular size version?? I guess I am trying to see if there is a pattern for who gets what (probably not)
Old Oct 1, 2021, 11:52 am

Which center was yours processed through? Mine is in 68 (large book, expedited), and I'm hoping for the next gen
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:02 pm

travel44ever:
The person that showed me their new style Passport got their's through Philadelphia----just like I dod

But that was their first Passport ever and was regular size, whereas mine was a renewal, expedited, and the larger size

Don't know if that made the difference or not. Who knows with the government.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by John Isaac
travel44ever:
The person that showed me their new style Passport got their's through Philadelphia----just like I dod

But that was their first Passport ever and was regular size, whereas mine was a renewal, expedited, and the larger size

Don't know if that made the difference or not. Who knows with the government.
Mine was a first passport and it was processed in South Carolina. Someone else also got the same next-gen passport from SC, and they were both regular books. A couple of other people on the immigration forums I frequent also got got next-gen passports with large books but can’t remember which office they said their applications were processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.