Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Maz67
I love the government run post office....a model operation.... By the way, how profitable have they been over the last decade?
If you took away pension contributions way above the level required by any private company, the requirement that it operate unprofitable rural post offices and removed other restrictions on operations, it would be much more profitable.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:22 am

A year ago we had experts saying "DOJ is likely to lose e-book antitrust suit targeting Apple" Look where we are today. Also notice that it's over a year since that complaint was filed.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
I'm reading through the DOJ complaint, and it is utterly fascinating to see some of the inner workings of US (e.g., some of the internal e-mails). Douggie really has done/said some things that are going to come back to (hopefully) bite him in the rear:

P11: Commenting on a commitment to maintain service levels made by two other airlines seeking approval for a merger in 2010, the CEO of US Airways said: “I’m hopeful they’re just saying what they need . . . to get this [transaction] approved.” By making claims about benefits that are at odds with their prior statements on the likely effects of this merger, that is precisely what the merging parties’ executives are doing here—saying what they believe needs to be said to pass antitrust scrutiny.
P45: Ultimately, to make sure the message was received, US Airways’ CEO forwarded the email chain—and its candid discussion about how aggressive competition would be bad for the industry—directly to the CEO of the rival airline. (The rival’s CEO immediately responded that it was an inappropriate communication that he was referring to his general counsel.)
P61: US Airways’ CEO explained to investors in 2006 that there is an “inextricable link” between removing seats and raising fares.
P74: Similarly, when US Airways was considering whether to raise its second checked bag fee to $100 to match Delta’s fee, a US Airways executive observed: “Wow - $100 is a lot for second bag. I would think there’s big passenger gag reflex associated with that, but if we can get it, we should charge it. Do you think we should wait for [United] or [American] to move first, though?”
P80: In a 2011 email exchange lamenting the need for US Airways to deploy wireless internet on all of its airplanes, a senior US Airways executive groused: [N]ext it will be more legroom. Then industry standard labor contracts. Then better wines. Then the ability to book on Facebook. Penultimately, television commercials. Then, finally, we will pay the NYSE an exorbitant fee to change our ticker symbol [from LCC]. US Airways’ CEO responded: “Easy now. Consolidation will help stop much of the stupid stuff but inflight internet is not one of them.”
I'm not sure I would classify more legroom as "stupid stuff"...

Last edited by tacostuff; Aug 14, 2013 at 5:44 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:26 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Well, if you all are giddy about the failure of this merger, you will be happy with the continual subpar inflight experience of the "go between" airline that is US Airways. NO IFE, NO powerports, NO quality food in FC. FC that resembles Denny's, everything on the cheap, NO extra legroom ala coach plus type of seating, ALL THE THINGS YOU PEOPLE HAVE WHINED AND COMPLAINED ABOUT WILL CONTINUE!! So when the dust settles, remember the moment when the plans were in the works to become a better airline with deep pockets to pay for such. SADLY, US will NOT spend a dime as a stand alone. They should but they won't.

Now US Airways will continue to be the redheaded Star sister, flown only as a convenience instead of the love for. In the end, my responses? You asked for it and I told you so.

In the end, I will do my best no matter which stylized American flag is on the tail.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Great job especially if you picked it up AAMRQ 30 cents a share this time last year

If you made some good cash go back in with a piece of your profits ( now that the stock is down almost 50% ) as the merger is going to go through with some tweaks

In no way can the DOJ justify denying it after letting the previous margers slide
I still have some small exposure with options - I'm talking a few hundred bucks, just because I'm inexperienced with managing option volatility and wanted to learn. Figured LCC calls would be a fun way to do it. I'm closed out on AAMRQ, but I didn't buy that low, unfortunately. I think I netted about a buck a share.

Whether this merger goes through isn't entirely dependent on how other mergers worked. Antitrust is based on market analysis, so the first movers in the industry definitely had an advantage over US/AA. Going from 4 to 3 legacies in the market is going to be a harder obstacle to overcome than going from 8 to 7 or even 5 to 4.

I'm probably going to take the other side of the bet at this point, that the merger doesn't happen. I think AA needs to get out of bankruptcy fast, and an antitrust suit does not progress quickly. DOJ wants the merger blocked, not concessions, so we're talking a lot of time and legal fees to make it happen. I don't think it will.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by flight62
Well, if you all are giddy about the failure of this merger, you will be happy with the continual subpar inflight experience of the "go between" airline that is US Airways. NO IFE, NO powerports, NO quality food in FC. FC that resembles Denny's, everything on the cheap, NO extra legroom ala coach plus type of seating, ALL THE THINGS YOU PEOPLE HAVE WHINED AND COMPLAINED ABOUT WILL CONTINUE!! So when the dust settles, remember the moment when the plans were in the works to become a better airline with deep pockets to pay for such. SADLY, US will NOT spend a dime as a stand alone. They should but they won't.

Now US Airways will continue to be the redheaded Star sister, flown only as a convenience instead of the love for. In the end, my responses? You asked for it and I told you so.

In the end, I will do my best no matter which stylized American flag is on the tail.
There are ALWAYS going to be thing for us to complain about on here. US has never treated me poorly since starting to hover in the 50k/yr range. I've gotten acceptable reciprocal benefits on other *A carriers. Sure the times I've flown F on UA and AA have been better experiences, but I don't think I've had any of real substance to whine about while on US. Besides...I have an affinity for redheads anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:02 am

Can someone post a link to the complaint? I can't find it.

EDIT: Nevermind. Link - http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f299900/299968.pdf
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:09 am

One thing I'm going to miss is flying for free half the time. The merger meant AA was coming to PWM, so I could burn 9000 BA Avios RT to go to DCA or PHL. I could have literally flown those trips for free the entire year, thanks to the magic of Amex MR and Chase UR. Overall, the merger would have saved me money just based on that.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
One thing I'm going to miss is flying for free half the time. The merger meant AA was coming to PWM, so I could burn 9000 BA Avios RT to go to DCA or PHL. I could have literally flown those trips for free the entire year, thanks to the magic of Amex MR and Chase UR. Overall, the merger would have saved me money just based on that.
For me that's the only real downside. But one I'm willing to give up for the other things I would have lost.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by username
It seems the experts are saying this will ultimately happen.

A few years ago, it seemed something similar happened. I don't remember what happened exactly but A and B talked about merger...then C & D did. Then E & F did and that is when the government said no way. None of it happened, I think. Does anyone remember?
Everyone thought AT&T/T-Mobile was a done deal too. You had Deutsche Telekom who wanted out of the US cell business, a spectrum starved AT&T, and compatible systems that would have made integration relatively simple. Advantages were touted about even greater coverage, faster LTE rollout, "better prices", more devices, blah blah. It seemed like a win-win for everyone.

DoJ didn't buy it. While DoJ has allowed mergers in the past (Sprint-Nextel being one), the market conditions were a lot different now. You essentially have a duopoly between Verizon and AT&T taking nearly 70% of the US market, leaving Sprint and T-Mobile being "value" carriers and picking over the scraps. AT&T and T-Mobile would have concentrated too much power in too few companies, being ultimately bad for the customer. Things are bad enough in that industry as it is.

DoJ allowed T-Mobile and MetroPCS to merge, however, as that strengthened T-Mobile.

The airline industry isn't much different. You have 2 mega carriers (UA, DL), 2 relatively strong carriers (AA, WN), and some smaller players like US and B6. Unfortunately, UA and DL haven't done much to compete, but have generally been hostile to customers. Prices haven't gone down, but done the opposite. Fees have gone up too. There are fewer flights to fewer places. To average Joe traveler, the current air travel market isn't very good right now.

I would see DOJ approving something along the lines of a US/B6 merger. I don't see US/AA going thru. At least without major concessions that wipe away the "benefits" of the merger.

We've all heard the "it'll be good for customers/lower prices/synergies/blah blah" out of DL and UA. The cheerleading is always good, but rarely materializes. It's all a matter of BSing the gov't. It looks like DOJ isn't buying it this time.

It seems even if the merger did not happen, US would move to OneWorld to avoid being squeezed by UA/AC.
That's far from a foregone conclusion. You don't think US would be affected by the AA/BA JV? Why go from getting squeezed in one alliance to another without a merger? You don't gain anything (you're still the little sister of the alliance) AND you have the costs of converting from *A to OW.

Parker's already stated that *A has worked well for US, and that's with the UA/LH/et al JV long in place.
Someone who has met DP said that he has a huge ego (which I guess is true for many CEOs) and theorized that he wanted the biggest airline. So, I think he will do all he can to make it happen.
Doesn't surprise me. He's been wanting to build an empire for quite awhile, and this is his best chance.

What would work for me is that US is made to sell the CLT hub to UA Of course, that won't happen...
I'd prefer keeping US in *A and having access to UA for the times I need it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
CO was in a crummy ST at the time and had a major reason to leave. The only reason for US to leave is a merger with AA absent that why would they spend $$ to become second fiddle to AA in OW?
Cheers
Howie
+1. Add to that that UA and CO had already been in talks about a merger, but decided not to do it at that time. However, it also was a precursor for it to happen down the road in a different market. So it made sense for CO to go to *A when potential merger partners were there.

If nothing else, it had more to gain by being a stronger second to UA in *A than being a dwarf compared to DL in ST.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: MM, BA, AA EXP
I'm contributing this as a good overview and summary:

Justice Dept. Suit Signals End of Airline Consolidation, AA-US Airways Merger Said to Hurt Consumers

In the last century, the U.S. Department of Justice spent a great deal of time and energy on breaking up large companies that were behaving, in the view of regulators, in an anticompetitive and/or monopolistic manner, ranging from Standard Oil to AT&T to Microsoft. In the current century, the agency’s modus operandi has been a bit more preemptive, moving to block mergers that it felt would create such entities.

On Tuesday, the Department of Justice announced it had filed suit to block the planned merger of American Airlines’ parent AMR Corp. and US Airways, saying the merger would threaten competition and drive up the cost of tickets.

If American and US Airways choose to have their day in court and fight, the battle will certainly last more than several months and could, with appeals, take well over a year.

During that time, the lack of certainty will without question have a negative impact on both airlines......

Last edited by MarcusWorth; Aug 15, 2013 at 8:15 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Just out of curiosity, for those US flyers happy that the merger may not happen, how many people are happy because

1) They love Star and don't want to lose the coverage that Star Alliance gives them for redemptions.

2) They love US and the crews and in-flight experience, and are worried that the merger will bring them down

3) They love the US FFP (free upgrades, CP certs) and don't want to go to an AA system (stickers, etc)

I'm just curious, because as an actual BIS flyer and redeemer so far only on US metal (Envoy to MUC) I was looking forward to the new AA fleet with outlets and wifi everywhere and access to the AA Club with showers, etc.
1) True.

2) True, for the most part. Crews are hit and miss on any airline. However, my treatment as a US elite vs being a UA elite under Smisek has been significantly better - even as a silver. UA is openly hostile toward their elites. DM may not be as generous as MP (at least on paper), but the actual treatment is worlds apart. I do think AA would bring some improvements to the inflight experience though, and would be open to that. However, it's one of the few upsides I see to the merger.

3) True. I like DM for the most part. There are things I don't like (i.e. the few and limited use CP certs mainly), but overall it's not bad. I feel valued whether I'm a CP or a SP. I'm not seen as an over-entitled leech.

Even though US clubs don't have showers, usually its *A partners do. But even then, size doesn't guarantee showers. I just came into LAX on UA and neither club has showers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, UA
What makes you think AA/US merger would create a better airline? The DoJ document shows statements made by US management that they intend AA/US to be like US Airways - a continuation of US Airways "subpar inflight experience"
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You haven't been on UA in domestic F lately then, have you?

I can't say my last few meals have been tasty or high quality by any stretch of the imagination. A Denny's meal would have been a significant improvement over the slop I was served. And yes, I actually thought the US meal was actually better.

I do like the sundaes though.

I don't book an airline ticket expecting stellar dining. When I pay for C, I expect a decent meal, but I keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment. C meals are hit or miss. I've had some decent meals. I've had some really bad meals that I can't believe anyone in their right mind would serve a paying C customer. If you want good meals, you have to go to a foreign carrier.

Domestically, you generally only get power on the PMCO planes or new planes. You're lucky if you actually get a 757 or 320 that has Empower, which no one uses anymore.

IFE is nice, but isn't a be-all-end all. I bring my own entertainment. WN also does quite well without it. Most of what's shown on board is crap anyway.

So what, US being a red-headed step child of OW would be an improvement?

I can understand why crew would the merger to go thru. It's a significant pay raise for the US side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.