Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:09 pm

If US is not leaving Star Alliance on 1st November as was being speculated as recently as a few days ago, how quickly will Star partner redemptions likely be available again?

There has been anecdotal evidence that it is not possible to book LH and some other Star awards with US miles for flights after November. Will those become available again and, if so, how quickly? Will they continue to be blocked until the DOJ case is resolved one way or the other? Presumably, this could take a while, so we could be in limbo between Star and OW until there is a final decision.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Teleconference on the DOJ case:
http://www.streetinsider.com/Corpora...y/8602515.html
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
IMO, there's zero chance of US moving to Oneworld if there's no merger with AA. Here's why:

A US move from Star to Oneworld would require government approval. How likely does anyone think that would be?

Is there any evidence that AA or Oneworld wants US to join Oneworld absent the merger?

Additionally, even if that move were granted, admission of US into the AA/BA/IB immunized joint venture would require government approval? Ignoring the long odds of the joint venture wanting US to join, does anyone think the government would bless this anticompetitive move?

The *A immunized joint venture has excluded US from those reindeer games - so Oneworld would be chomping at the bit to admit US? I'm skeptical.

If the merger falls through, US isn't joining Oneworld.
I'd also add overhauling the systems to be change over from *A to OW compatibility. As that seems like a costly endeavor, and knowing how cheap Parker/US is, I don't see them spending the money absent a merger.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So how is US participating in a smaller alliance (OW is #3, ST is #2, *A is #1) with a smaller domestic airline than UA or DL any more anti-competitive than US staying in *A with UA?

I think they could actually do it, and even pull off mutual elite recognition/upgrades if they wanted (AS/DL). The ATI might be trickier, but note that the Advantage fares the DOJ is complaining about are domestic ones...
Maybe you're right, but I doubt it.

The driver for US leaving *A and joining Oneworld was not the attractiveness of OW to US or vice versa - it was the reality that AA wasn't leaving Oneworld for *A even with a US takeover of AA. If there's no merger, I don't see Parker longing to be part of such a small alliance given how much revenue US allegedly gets for connecting all those *A passengers around the East coast (and to/from PHX).

Additionally, I don't see Oneworld pining for US to leave *A for Oneworld.

Like I said - you may be right.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So how is US participating in a smaller alliance (OW is #3, ST is #2, *A is #1) with a smaller domestic airline than UA or DL any more anti-competitive than US staying in *A with UA?
In a similar vein, what does US gain by moving to OW where it will still be second fiddle to a much larger AA? I don't think US really has much to gain there. I think it has more to lose from *A feed than what it would pick up from OW feed.

US's system also fits in better with UA's system than AA's.

Parker's already said *A works very well for US, so there'd have to be a pretty compelling reason outside of a merger to want to switch.

I think they could actually do it, and even pull off mutual elite recognition/upgrades if they wanted (AS/DL). The ATI might be trickier, but note that the Advantage fares the DOJ is complaining about are domestic ones...
I'd see US being able to pull an AS and go on its own, with codeshares and FFP recognition with multiple carriers rather than changing alliances. There would be more to gain there than being AA's red headed step-sister.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Maybe you're right, but I doubt it.

The driver for US leaving *A and joining Oneworld was not the attractiveness of OW to US or vice versa - it was the reality that AA wasn't leaving Oneworld for *A even with a US takeover of AA. If there's no merger, I don't see Parker longing to be part of such a small alliance given how much revenue US allegedly gets for connecting all those *A passengers around the East coast (and to/from PHX).

Additionally, I don't see Oneworld pining for US to leave *A for Oneworld.

Like I said - you may be right.
I don't think the government would have allowed AA to join *A. It would concentrate way too much power there. Additionally, I don't think BA/IB would be willing to lose the US market to *A without a major fight.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:00 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
He will be partially blamed for the failed merger fiasco and could pay the price by losing his job. Thoughts?
That is not a fiscally responsive action no matter how much the board or shareholders blame the CEO.

In the end the going forward plan with a fiscally aggressive leader is my bet. If there was somebody already anointed on the short list, only then would a change be made.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: None
Fiscally responsiveness is but one factor in the choice of a CEO. Sometimes it can hurt more than help. Consider Frank Lorenzo, the creator of the modern Continental. He declared bankruptcy to bust the CAL unions and was successful - until he tried to dismantle EAL to benefit CAL, which lead to a strike by the IAM. The end result was that he was banned for life from ownership and management of airlines.

Later, Gordon Bethune was picked as CEO of CAL. He treated employees decently - giving away automobiles every quarter - and made CAL arguably the best U.S. carrier. As an aside, he learned airline management at PI.

Jim
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
And to think that I was thisclose to getting an AA credit card...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Folks, from the flight deck, The New American's arrival is delayed due to a DOJ ground stop. When we get some updates for you we will pass them along. For now We are going to turn off the fasten seat belt sign and you can feel free to move about the *A.

Last edited by Buffaloflyer; Aug 15, 2013 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:37 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by scottsam66
I"m happy, I"ll definitely be able to buy up to CP from Platinum. No guarantees, that would be the case on the new AA
Agree. As a LT 2MM, I have status on AA for"AAver"
I can get PP on UA with some help from Flex EQMs - free award changes
I can get occasional DL flights and boost from Amex as needed IF I can ever find a low award on DL.
I can buy up to preferred on US and first burn my miles on US on *A partners

My domestic upgrades are best on US.
I still have 4 cards 2 bofa and 2 barclays that will get me off to 40 each year before flying for 60k.
With WAS and *A, I can get my eliteness on US first and then worry about the rest. The AA program was going to make me fly 90k a year instead of 60.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 pm

American, US Airways Outline Defense, Seek Speedy Trial to Revive Merger

I've been reading everything I can since the Tuesday morning announcement.. I wish I had known about this conf call tho. It must have been quite interesting based on the several articles I've read incl this one

American, US Airways Outline Defense, Seek Speedy Trial to Revive Merger

American Airlines and US Airways trotted out its antitrust experts on Wednesday as it began to preview the case it plans to make to defend their planned merger. One thing was clear: the two airlines have no plans to immediately offer the Department of Justice any concessions and fully expect to go to court to see the merger through, although they at the same time are open to settlement talks down the road.

The suit, the lawyers contend, ignores several benefits that the merger would bring to the market including more flights to more destinations, lower prices, and better service.

“They got this one wrong,” said Rich Parker, a partner at O’Melveny & Myers hired by the two airlines to defend the lawsuit, on a conference call. “We are looking forward to our day in court and our opportunity to demonstrate that this is a pro-competitive merger.”...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:47 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ITRADE
God, does anyone else have images of Steve Wolf in their head right now ("there is no Plan B")..........
http://articles.philly.com/2001-07-0...irline-mergers
"This is no failing airline. It possesses a very strong customer franchise, a skilled, dedicated workforce, and a lot of business potential. Indeed, UBS Warburg analyst Sam Buttrick said this week, "We believe that the US Airways franchise, managed correctly, has solid earnings potential in a strong industry environment. We do not view US Airways as the basket case that it has been portrayed as by management."
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
And to think that I was thisclose to getting an AA credit card...
no no, go ahead and get the AA card. or two. or three or four. the getting is good.

--> back to the merger --->
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
"The suit, the lawyers contend, ignores several benefits that the merger would bring to the market including more flights to more destinations, lower prices, and better service."

Pay some lawyers enough money and they'll say ANYTHING!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.