Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Most PAX were against it.
False, only people pitching a fit are the people in this site.
Either way this merger is going to happen. After yesterday the doj now has to defend their weak case and the airlines will easily prevail if it even gets to trial. I doubt it will and the doj will cave with a settlement to save face.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Fanjet
You know this how again? AA and US fly a few hundred thousand people each day on their aircraft.
And will fly fewer at higher prices if the merger goes through. Ditto the other members of the oligopoly.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
And will fly fewer at higher prices if the merger goes through. Ditto the other members of the oligopoly.
Neither you or the doj can prove that.
This merger will happen.

The airlines have much more data on their side that will show they will add competition that the weak manufactured data the doj has.

Last edited by Kootur; Aug 31, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kootur
Either way this merger is going to happen. After yesterday the doj now has to defend their weak case and the airlines will easily prevail if it even gets to trial. I doubt it will and the doj will cave with a settlement to save face.
This merger will happen.

The airlines have much more data on their side that will show they will add competition that the weak manufactured data the doj has.
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Which means that the oligopic airlines will then be making less money right? People keep thinking that airlines can just keep raising prices with no consequences. And as we have seen, airlines like Spirit and Allegiant fly in when there is market demand. So the lower airfares will still be there. It's just that most people here would cringe at the thought of having to board one of those airlines!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As we have seen, airlines like Spirit and Allegiant fly in when there is market demand. So the lower airfares will still be there. It's just that most people here would cringe at the thought of having to board one of those airlines!
None of these fly much of a schedule, and neither can get any meaningful slots and/or facilities at DCA and JFK and other airports.

They may keep prices low in Peoria and in some leisure destinations, but they don't do squat in keeping fares low for US businesses and the vast majority of the American traveler, whose routes are not served by either.

To highlight how silly that statement is, Sprit has 1.6% market share, and Allegiant is so small that it's not even broken out in the DOT data http://www.transtats.bts.gov/Data_Elements.aspx?Data=4

Repeating over and over statements where the data makes them provably wrong will not make them true.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which means that the oligopic airlines will then be making less money right? People keep thinking that airlines can just keep raising prices with no consequences.
Economics 101 -- when a free market is replaced by an oligopoly or a monopoly, the profit-maximizing price is a much higher one than in a free market condition (study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_profit), one that will create deadweight loss that makes everybody else worse off (study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_loss). These are well known and uncontroversial economic facts.

Of course, Parker's plan is to increase prices and stick 313,000,000 Americans with deadweight loss, give raises to ~130,000 employees to loudly push this through, and make oligopolistic profits.

No thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Which means that the oligopic airlines will then be making less money right? People keep thinking that airlines can just keep raising prices with no consequences. And as we have seen, airlines like Spirit and Allegiant fly in when there is market demand. So the lower airfares will still be there. It's just that most people here would cringe at the thought of having to board one of those airlines!
If there were an infinite (or even meaningfully increasing) supply of airport slots, that would be a lot more true. There are a few metro-areas where outlying airports are still competitive and not saturated, and a few metro-areas where the main airport still has gates and slots. There are not many of either.

Even there, in both cases, the open slots are often at less-desirable times, and the outlying airports are often only of interest to price-sensitive leisure travelers. In both cases, time-sensitive travelers (particularly for business, and those who will be paying higher fares) are already not going to be making much use.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People keep bringing up slot-controlled airports. But those airports aren't the ones who have a lack of competition. And in turn, there is actually a downward pressure on fares. How many domestic carriers are there at JFK? LGA? DCA? SNA? It's a lot more than just UA, DL, AA, and US.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Of course, Parker's plan is to increase prices and stick 313,000,000 Americans with deadweight loss, give raises to ~130,000 employees to loudly push this through, and make oligopolistic profits.

No thanks.
Which of these oligopic airlines have revenue margins greater than a single digit?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
This merger will happen.

I'm a bit puzzled why, if you know the merger will happen, that you are so intent on schooling the rest of us. But, okay, be that is it may ... Truth is, if the merger does occur, then I will be most pleased if you are correct -- that the new airline runs better for all concerned, whether it is just because of good civic-minded management or in response to competition from new or currently small carriers.

Not only will I be pleased that you are correct, I will be pleased that I am wrong. I have no stake in the validity of economic theory and if this stuff

Economics 101 -- when a free market is replaced by an oligopoly or a monopoly, the profit-maximizing price is a much higher one than in a free market condition (study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_profit), one that will create deadweight loss that makes everybody else worse off (study https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadweight_loss). These are well known and uncontroversial economic facts.

No thanks.
is repudiated to my benefit, I will be happy.

I wish I could be as certain of my future happiness as you seem to be, but it sounds like eventually I will. It would be just too unkind to be hectored as a fool and then have to turn around and see the things I had foolishly feared turn out to be true.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Riiiiiight.

So how much AA stock did you own before the DoJ (who are clearly also "pitching a fit"...) put the kibosh on your windfall?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I used the results on the AA board and this one.
Most people at my company don't care as the company pays for their tickets
(that being said, I am not sure if they realize the impact on their ability to go on holiday.)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Which of these oligopic airlines have revenue margins greater than a single digit?
If their competitors don't, why should they?
Look at CX/SQ/PR/LH/QF margins and tell me if they are high.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G

No thanks.
Perhaps you should take Econ 101 yourself before suggesting that others do. Oligopolies / monopolies don't 'replace' ' free market'. Rather, oligopolization / monopolization is a natural consequence of a 'free market,' especially in the sectors with high entry costs. Also, if it is posted on Wikipedia, it must be true, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.