Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes on Award tickets w/Japan (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Japan Travel Alert: Award Redeposit Fee?

The U.S. Department of State issued a Travel Alert today advising that citizens should avoid travel to Japan at this time (alert expires on April 1st).

Unfortunately, I am due to leave on vacation to Japan in a week using my dividend miles. Should I expect to pay the $150 award redeposit fee when I cancel the reservation. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I doubt you will have to pay a redeposit fee but they might not refund you the award processing fee (which is $50)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I'd hope they would waive it too. Also keep your eye on what the operating carrier is doing. Any schedule changes or cancelations by any of the operating carriers can make a refund request exceedingly simple.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Million-Miler Lifetime Premier Executive, Hilton HHonors Diamond
After waiting for the 4-day window to open, on 10 March I was able to book a Dividend Miles award for a SQ first-class itinerary with my outbound segment on SQ #11 LAX-NRT-SIN on 11 March with my inbound segment on SQ #12 SIN-NRT-LAX on 14 March. I wanted to travel in first-class before the A380 takes over the route on 27 March and such premium-cabin availability disappears. The outbound flight is delayed at least 20 hours since the inbound plane could not land at NRT and was diverted for an overnight stop in FUK. Because of the terrible tragedy, the uncertainties as to when the incoming flight actually would arrive in LAX, and the fact that at best I would only have a few-hour stay in SIN, I contacted USAir to cancel the award. The agent and her supervisor would agree only to refund the taxes and waive the $150 redeposit fee but indicated that there were hard-and-fast rules which precluded them from waiving the "non-refundable-under-any-circumstances" $75 fee for bookings within 14 days of travel and the $50 international ticket processing fee. They suggested I send an email to Customer Relations requesting a refund of the total $125 non-refundable fees, and I did so. I'm not at all optomistic. Fortunately, I do have a yearly Travel Guard Chartis trip-cancellation insurance policy (which is the best travel investment I have ever made). I contacted Travel Guard, and a representative indicated that if USAir would not refund these fees, Travel Guard would do so.

Last edited by manicflyer9; Mar 11, 2011 at 8:50 pm
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!

I called US about this today and they said that their Japan travel waiver is currently only valid until March 15th. I'm travelling next Monday so they suggested calling on Sunday to cancel my reservation and hopefully the waiver would have been extended by then (so they can waive the $150 fee).
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:20 am

Most of other airlines had extended all the way till end of March 2011. Don't understand why US airways is putting such a tight window for their customers.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Ignorance is most likely the reason for this "tight window"

US Airways have no direct flights to Japan, they only sell codeshare flights so my guess would be that it is simply not that important for them.

I have a reservation to Tokyo mid-April and I am not really sure what to do.
Those poor people in Japan
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:56 am

Changes on Award tickets w/Japan (merged threads)

I have family members on a USAir issued *A Award tickets Biz class, Europe - AKL (they are in South Pacific now) so the travel has already commenced and USAir is consequently not allowing any changes, as per the rules. Routing is through NRT with a stop-over there.

One of the possible problems though (not to mention the situation near Tokyo itself) is the return to Europe in about a week, routing AKL-NRT (2 day stop-over)-FRA on NZ and LH respectively.

As of today Lufthansa is not operating to NRT during their "special schedule", from what I understand, and they are stating also the following: "(..) the aim is to maintain this schedule at least until the weekend." indicating this may very well last into the beginning of next week.

- Is anyone familiar whom, if at all possible, would be the carrier responsible for re-routing this ticket, should the circumstances remain, or worsen? US is obviously refering any changes to LH and/or NZ, and LH/NZ refering to US who ticketed, for any changes.

Any ideas or anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by aztimm; Mar 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm Reason: changed thread title
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If LH has formally amended its schedule for the date of travel you lack a legal routing >24 hours in advance of travel and US is responsible for re-ticketing.

If LH is handling this as IROPS day to day, LH on day of flight is responsible for re-routing travel from NRT, your ticketed stopover.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: AA PRO
I am in this situation myself right now and have just completed rerouting with US.

I am in New Zealand now, flying home to the US on Sunday 3/20 on a biz class award ticket. Yes travel has commenced and I am halfway through the ticket.

US has issued a travel waiver for codeshare / partner flights going through Japan through March 31, making possible even changes to award travel already in progress. (You will sometimes find an agent who does not believe this, so either call back or ask them to ask the supervisor.)

I found reroutings through Sydney, Bangkok, and Tokyo-NRT back to the United States, using the ANA tool, expertflyer, and UA's website.

When I called, I found that the requirement was to have "saver" award tickets available in the same class of service (business in my case).

To make a long story short, I was able to cancel one of my flights on ANA and rebook it on a UA flight without any penalties. I also changed the leg following that (originally was LAX-PHX, now is SEA-PHX).

Because the award ticket was issued by US, they are the ones responsible for reticketing it. It is luck of the draw as to which agent you get, but if you specifically TELL them that US has also issued a travel waiver for Japan (even though they don't fly there directly), you should be able to have the tickets changed, or at least eliminate the two day stopover and just make a short layover or change of planes in NRT.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what happens!

Jason
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by intub8r
I am in this situation myself right now and have just completed rerouting with US.

I am in New Zealand now, flying home to the US on Sunday 3/20 on a biz class award ticket. Yes travel has commenced and I am halfway through the ticket.

To make a long story short, I was able to cancel one of my flights on ANA and rebook it on a UA flight without any penalties. I also changed the leg following that (originally was LAX-PHX, now is SEA-PHX).

Because the award ticket was issued by US, they are the ones responsible for reticketing it. It is luck of the draw as to which agent you get, but if you specifically TELL them that US has also issued a travel waiver for Japan (even though they don't fly there directly), you should be able to have the tickets changed, or at least eliminate the two day stopover and just make a short layover or change of planes in NRT.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what happens!

Jason
Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated. Would you happen to have a link or similar to the travel waiver? I canīt seem to find any info regerding this on their website.

It would be very good to have something to refer to when I make another call to them.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
intub8r, I would also be interested in the link to a waiver, if there is one.

My parents are due to fly MUC-NRT-xICN-MUC in F in mid-April, and were originally planning to spend two weeks in Japan. We don't see the situation there improving significantly before then. Assuming the waiver gets extended to include April, how flexible would US be?

The idea would be to rebook them to something like MUC-ICN-MUC, and to shorten the trip (so changing both the destination and the trip length). Would that be within the scope of the waiver?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:05 am

Unfortunately, there is no direct link to the waiver that US has issued from their website (I asked the agents that question also!)

My travel originally was on NZ from AKL-NRT, with a ground transfer in Tokyo to Haneda airport, catching a flight on NH HND-LAX. I didn't think I would be able to make the ground transfer after the quake, even with 7 hours.

I based my information off the waivers posted on the websites of NZ, ANA, and United. Then when I called US, asked the agents if they had similar waivers in place. Found out today it has been extended for travel through March 31, which matches United's. NZ and ANA have waivers in effect through mid-April. The link to the UA waiver is:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52939,00.html

I would check on the waivers issued by your operating carriers (LH ?) but again since the award ticket was issued on US ticket stock, then what the agents told me was that unless the operating carrier cancels the flight, then US is responsible for reticketing.

The biggest hangup is finding award seats in the same class of service on the same (or approximately the same) dates.

Not to be long-winded, but here is my original and revised itineraries, just as an example:

Sunday March 20
NZ 99 AKL-NRT 9:15-16:25
NH 1006 HND-LAX 00:05-17:55
US 233 LAX-PHX 21:25-22:43

revised to:

Sunday March 20
NZ 99 AKL-NRT 9:15-16:25
UA 876 NRT-SEA 17:45-10:24
US 9 SEA-PHX 14:35-17:23

I have eliminated the ground transfer and shaved 6 hours off my layover in Tokyo, and get home somewhat earlier as well!

Also consider rerouting through other nearby cities or with other classes of travel. For example, I saw some availability on UA in first class from Sydney to SFO near the dates I was traveling. If travel has not commenced, it may be possible for US to cancel the itineraries involving Japan completely, and rebook you through somewhere else.

Again, GOOD LUCK guys and travel safely! Would love to hear how you make out.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:56 am

An update on my experience. After talking to the fifth agent I finally made some progress.

They would allow re-routing (2 agents would, 2 agent refused as well as one supervisor), only using NZ and LH to Europe as per original booking. Needless to say, finding Business (or any) availability on NZ out from AKL, with a connection to LH serving airport with availability, is not easy.

However I found AKL-KIX-FRA, and eliminating the stop-over and transfer through Tokyo. Although I would have preferred routing outside Japan altogether, this will suffice for now and pending changes in the current situation.

Thanks intub8r, I was about to give up on getting any ticket changes, and simply book two new Award tickets from SYD or similar routing SYD-BKK-FRA (TG) or similar, which seem to have plenty of availability, before I noticed your post.

Cheers,
Andy
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:54 pm

Andy I'm so glad it worked out for you! Like yourself, I would have preferred rerouting outside Japan altogether, but my new booking through NRT has me there for only an hour, which is acceptable (pending changes as you said.... I still have a SYD-SFO award booked in my back pocket just in case!)

Alex, any progress?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.