FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes on Award tickets w/Japan (merged threads)
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:16 am
SEAndy

Originally Posted by intub8r
I am in this situation myself right now and have just completed rerouting with US.

I am in New Zealand now, flying home to the US on Sunday 3/20 on a biz class award ticket. Yes travel has commenced and I am halfway through the ticket.

To make a long story short, I was able to cancel one of my flights on ANA and rebook it on a UA flight without any penalties. I also changed the leg following that (originally was LAX-PHX, now is SEA-PHX).

Because the award ticket was issued by US, they are the ones responsible for reticketing it. It is luck of the draw as to which agent you get, but if you specifically TELL them that US has also issued a travel waiver for Japan (even though they don't fly there directly), you should be able to have the tickets changed, or at least eliminate the two day stopover and just make a short layover or change of planes in NRT.

GOOD LUCK and let us know what happens!

Jason
Thanks for your detailed reply, much appreciated. Would you happen to have a link or similar to the travel waiver? I canīt seem to find any info regerding this on their website.

It would be very good to have something to refer to when I make another call to them.

Thanks,
Andy