Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes on Award tickets w/Japan (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by intub8r
Alex, any progress?
Haven't tried yet. We're still trying to figure out what exactly we would want to change to. Will report back once I've talked to US.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:14 pm

Cancellation of Award Tickets (Japan)

Hello,
I'm looking for advice, or confirmation on what the airlines is telling me. I"m fairly green here, US Airways Gold, so not a heavyweight in the travel dept.

I purchased 2 round trip award tickets from Phx-NRT using miles. Travel date is March 30th (return of Apr 5th). SFO-NRT leg is on a United flight. In light of the current situation I'm looking to cancel these. The tickets were for my wife and daughter.

My own ticket was purchased ($) directly through United.

I was able to get a refund on my ticket (it was not a refundable fare, but they allowed) from United.

US told me the following on the award tickets (and FYI, I paid $50 for each ticket for DM awards redemption fee + ~$50 in taxes each):

1. I can cancel the ticket and leave it pending under the passengers names. Valid for 1 yr. Will cost $150 each to re-apply to a new flight. No refund of the $50 DM redemption fee, but no additional charge when I re-apply. Refund of taxes, new taxes at time of purchase.
*problem with this option is, a) will I use in 1 yr, b) will I use them for the same passengers, c) will the tickets be the same miles value, and if not I may lose the leftover miles.

2. I can redeposit the miles in my account. Still have to pay the $150 "redeposit/re-use fee". Valid for anyone and longer. No refund of original $50 DM redemption fee, and when I go to re-use I have to pay the $50 DM redemption fee again.

They are stating they cannot cancel the ticket with no charge to me ($150) unless United cancels the flight. Currently United is not cancelling ANY flights, but, as indicated by their lenience on my ticket, allowing cancellations and even refunds on non-refundable tickets. Seems like there would be some flexibility and cooperation here, considering the situation.

SO, my "free" tickets will either cost me $200 each + taxes if used for the original passengers in 1 yr, or $250 each + taxes to allow use by anyone/anytime.

Anyone else run into a similar situation and experience the same or different? I'm assuming this accurately reflects their standard policy.

D
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
waiver

hi,

US has been of very good help for my friends.
i had to book a couple of US award tickets to get friends earlier out of japan.

the waiver were until 15.3 (has it been extend?)
US agents were instructed and were able to rebook on any other airline.

so the tickets i rebooked went through SIN/ BKK or HKG.

most tickets were nrt-muc/ nrt-fra. US allowed to rebook NRT-SIN-FRA
NRT-BKK-MUC, NRT-PVG-MUC etc. etc.

so it took around 45minutes per ticket, but it was done and it worked.

so good luck to you all!

dp
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:07 pm

Currently no fee for change or re-deposit of Japan-itinerary
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I just spoke to US Airways tonight. ANA's waiver goes to the end of May. We are booked IAD-NRT-BKK May 20th on ANA and United via a US Airways award ticket. I was told the waiver that applies is the US Waiver--which currently goes through April 16th but may change at anytime. We were hoping to reroute via ANA's waiver. No dice yet.

FYI: IAD-NRT is ANA NRT-BKK is United
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djpinaz
Hello,
I'm looking for advice, or confirmation on what the airlines is telling me. I"m fairly green here, US Airways Gold, so not a heavyweight in the travel dept.

I purchased 2 round trip award tickets from Phx-NRT using miles. Travel date is March 30th (return of Apr 5th). SFO-NRT leg is on a United flight. In light of the current situation I'm looking to cancel these. The tickets were for my wife and daughter.

My own ticket was purchased ($) directly through United.

I was able to get a refund on my ticket (it was not a refundable fare, but they allowed) from United.

US told me the following on the award tickets (and FYI, I paid $50 for each ticket for DM awards redemption fee + ~$50 in taxes each):

1. I can cancel the ticket and leave it pending under the passengers names. Valid for 1 yr. Will cost $150 each to re-apply to a new flight. No refund of the $50 DM redemption fee, but no additional charge when I re-apply. Refund of taxes, new taxes at time of purchase.
*problem with this option is, a) will I use in 1 yr, b) will I use them for the same passengers, c) will the tickets be the same miles value, and if not I may lose the leftover miles.

2. I can redeposit the miles in my account. Still have to pay the $150 "redeposit/re-use fee". Valid for anyone and longer. No refund of original $50 DM redemption fee, and when I go to re-use I have to pay the $50 DM redemption fee again.

They are stating they cannot cancel the ticket with no charge to me ($150) unless United cancels the flight. Currently United is not cancelling ANY flights, but, as indicated by their lenience on my ticket, allowing cancellations and even refunds on non-refundable tickets. Seems like there would be some flexibility and cooperation here, considering the situation.

SO, my "free" tickets will either cost me $200 each + taxes if used for the original passengers in 1 yr, or $250 each + taxes to allow use by anyone/anytime.

Anyone else run into a similar situation and experience the same or different? I'm assuming this accurately reflects their standard policy.

D
I was running into a similar problem with a US DM ticket. Their offical waiver isn't very helpful but they do have discretion to waive the redeposit fee. In my case I queried the strict policy (ability to change flights by 7 days), the agent spoke to a supervisor and the fee was waived. I would try calling again!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by Discus
Currently no fee for change or re-deposit of Japan-itinerary
Only for itinerary thru April 16, though.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Last night I was successful in changing a segment on 2 US award tickets from ORD-NRT-AKL to ORD-SFO-AKL departing end of May without a change fee.

In this case it wasn't only the fact of going through NRT that prompted me to change, but also that the NZ 090 was downgraded from the 777 to a 767, and therefore recliner seats instead of full lie flat. The schedule change was only 15 min.

With the NRT allowance still only through mid-Apr, an equipment change and only a 15 min sched change - I probably should've been charged a fee. But as suggested in other threads, I had my specific flt numbers with verified avail (via ANA) ready to go and the whole thing took 20 min. I kept the same date and didn't try to change anything else, so I didn't cause the agent any "problems" in the rebooking. Just stated the facts, no whining - I'm sure that helped. In the end I didn't say a word about a change fee and neither did she.

BTW - anyone flying NRT-AKL check out the airnewzealand.co.jp site instead of .com or .co.nz. They had much more detailed info about the equip changes.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: SQ
anyone had any luck lately cancelling flights?

I've got a NRT-PVG leg, which was a connection from a delta award I booked to HND. I cancelled that, and booked an AA award directly to China. US won't cancel it for free even with there being an ANA waiver and all the flights being on ANA. Delta cancelled it right away......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.