Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US 75/100% Buy Miles Promo - Effective Feb 16-Mar 31 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tsarah
Has anyone purchased miles? Does anyone know it will really take 5-10days for bonus miles to be posted.
Why would you count on anecdotal evidence instead of T&C's? If you need these miles before 10 days then don't count on it.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold
sorry, I misspoke, I received DM's on award flight, not PQM's
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA/SPG/SWA/Mariott/National
This is an interesting proposition to say the least - I'm currently planning to take a family trip overseas this summer (June-July),my family will go ahead of me in June and I'll head over the last day of June - tickets are running ~$1200-1400 RDU-LGW FRA-RDU. I wonder if i should gamble and pony up to buy miles (kiddos would be new DM accounts) and get out cheaper than if I had purchased regular tickets.

thanks

WingNut
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by cletuspapa
This is an interesting proposition to say the least - I'm currently planning to take a family trip overseas this summer (June-July),my family will go ahead of me in June and I'll head over the last day of June - tickets are running ~$1200-1400 RDU-LGW FRA-RDU. I wonder if i should gamble and pony up to buy miles (kiddos would be new DM accounts) and get out cheaper than if I had purchased regular tickets.

thanks

WingNut
Double-check the T&C: you can't get the added 25% bonus on new accounts.

Otherwise $1200 to ride in Y versus $1400 to ride in C is an easy choice for me. You're traveling at peak season, and you'd have to be darned sure that there's award availability on the flights and dates you want. People depending on that extra 25% of miles could get hosed if the availability dries up between purchase and booking.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ronotg
sorry, I misspoke, I received DM's on award flight, not PQM's
That makes even less sense, but regardless, you should not have received any miles of any variety for taking an award flight.

It can happen that an error is made somewhere along the way in the booking and the award flight ends up in a mileage accruing fare class, but when that happens it is a mistake.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
BTW nice photo trip report on your FB page! Let me rephrase, phenomenal trip report! You have me thinking of buying these miles and checking out OZ availability

Thank you for the kind words! Note that as a professional photographer, I have an unfair edge!

Considering how many F seats are flying empty on many of these routes, I would not be surprised to see many airlines get rid of long-haul F altogether. (NZ has already done this.) This is a great time to enjoy a pleasure that will likely be hard to find soon...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
So has anyone answered the question of what to do if we already have the toolbar? Do you get the 25% only if you are a new toolbar user?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Were you following US's promos over the last two years? Way better offers were to be had, sometimes less than 1 cent/mile. But 1.375cents/miles isn't a bad deal.
The best was 0.9 cpm for elite shares. When combined with 1.1c for the non elite, you could get 112k for 1cpm.
Too bad I posted about the double bonuses and US shut it down. I still regret those posts, but got new friends here.
The very best of course was TIB at 0.7 (pre tax) to 0.4 cpm (after tax), but that is gone but not forgotten.
The ultimate was the combination of Citi USA and US cards = 0 cpm x multiples millions.

Last edited by ffI; Feb 20, 2011 at 6:34 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
The ultimate was the combination of Citi USA and US cards = 0 cpm x multiples millions.

Was this some kind of balance-transfer strategy? Details please!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: A few
Was this some kind of balance-transfer strategy? Details please!
no the ability to churn the cards... you could get 3-5 citi aa cards with 25-30k sign up on each once every quarter... close the old ones, get the new ones. what a gig! also for a (long) while you could fund citibank checking accounts using citibank credit cards, picking up miles along the way.

so far it has been a lean year for me, maybe i will take up this offer because i am depressed watching my balances stay so flat!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
no the ability to churn the cards... you could get 3-5 citi aa cards with 25-30k sign up on each once every quarter... close the old ones, get the new ones. what a gig! also for a (long) while you could fund citibank checking accounts using citibank credit cards, picking up miles along the way.

And there were no fees involved with any of these transactions?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: A few
And there were no fees involved with any of these transactions?
credit card were no annual fee for first 12 months. see other credit cards forum. died about a year ago

you can read about its demise in this long and painful thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...nk-jig-up.html
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by miffSC
So has anyone answered the question of what to do if we already have the toolbar? Do you get the 25% only if you are a new toolbar user?
Taking one for the team... I bought a small number of miles the other day and will monitor to see what happens after my next toolbar use miles post. In the meantime, if anyone gets any clear guidance from US, feel free to share. I'm not very optimistic since the activity dates have been showing up as 12/31/10, but maybe that won't remain the case.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tsarah
Has anyone purchased miles? Does anyone know it will really take 5-10days for bonus miles to be posted.
75% bonus miles posted at the time of purchase, now waiting for 25% bonus to be posted (already did my "3 valid searches").
Old Feb 20, 2011, 6:28 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
All my cards were declined by points.com!
I read somewhere in FT that this has to do with points.com. Apparently only allows a certain number of purchases.
I tried Chrome, Firefix and IE I have not tried a different PC, will do so later.
Any one with a memory of the thread or link please reply and or PM

Last edited by ffI; Feb 20, 2011 at 6:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.