Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US 75/100% Buy Miles Promo - Effective Feb 16-Mar 31 2011

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jrmcrm
Anyone know how long it takes for "Toolbar" miles to post?

I don't want to buy miles and then have US tell me that I didn't do any searches or "eligible" searches and therefore I only get a 75% bonus
The toolbar miles have posted erratically, but always on Thursdays, as near as I can tell. The toolbar itself will indicate whether or not your searches are valid, and it keeps a tally of the miles earned. Thus you'll have instant feedback about the validity of the searches.

The larger question in my view is US's interpretation of the following term: "downloading, installing and completing at least three valid searches using the Dividend Miles Toolbar during the above dates." The dates are 2/16/11 thru 3/31/11.

In my view the reasonable interpretation is that if you earn miles using the toolbar in that time frame, then you'll get the bonus.

The unreasonable interpretation is that if you downloaded and installed the toolbar prior to 2/16/11, then you cannot earn the bonus because you don't meet the criteria of "downloading, installing and completing..." during the time frame (your download and install already occurred).

At first blush this seems absurd, but one thing that gives me pause is something I've noted in my DM account, as follows: I installed the toolbar in December. I've earned miles that have posted three times since. The posting dates are in January and February. Notwithstanding the differing posting dates, the activity date for each posting is the same date in December. Anyone else see the same pattern in their postings? If my activity date is always going to be December X, 2010, then I won't be able to show mileage earned from the toolbar during the promo period.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by DCAorBust
The toolbar miles have posted erratically, but always on Thursdays, as near as I can tell. The toolbar itself will indicate whether or not your searches are valid, and it keeps a tally of the miles earned. Thus you'll have instant feedback about the validity of the searches.

The larger question in my view is US's interpretation of the following term: "downloading, installing and completing at least three valid searches using the Dividend Miles Toolbar during the above dates." The dates are 2/16/11 thru 3/31/11.

In my view the reasonable interpretation is that if you earn miles using the toolbar in that time frame, then you'll get the bonus.

The unreasonable interpretation is that if you downloaded and installed the toolbar prior to 2/16/11, then you cannot earn the bonus because you don't meet the criteria of "downloading, installing and completing..." during the time frame (your download and install already occurred).

At first blush this seems absurd, but one thing that gives me pause is something I've noted in my DM account, as follows: I installed the toolbar in December. I've earned miles that have posted three times since. The posting dates are in January and February. Notwithstanding the differing posting dates, the activity date for each posting is the same date in December. Anyone else see the same pattern in their postings? If my activity date is always going to be December X, 2010, then I won't be able to show mileage earned from the toolbar during the promo period.
I have a variety of activity dates posted for my toolbar searches:
11/18/2010 11/26/10 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
11/29/2010 12/09/10 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/1/2010 12/09/10 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/2/2010 12/09/10 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS

And so on....

But I do not yet have any activity dates AFTER 12/31, if that means anything..

12/31/2010 01/06/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/31/2010 02/10/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/31/2010 02/03/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by travelpye
But I do not yet have any activity dates AFTER 12/31, if that means anything..

12/31/2010 01/06/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/31/2010 02/10/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
12/31/2010 02/03/11 DIVIDEND MILES TOOLBAR SEARCH BONUS
Mine looks exactly like what I've quoted. I just don't have any pre-12/31

Hopefully I'm over thinking it, but I'm not liking the way this promo is worded. It would not be inconsistent with their past practice to deny credit. In the double pqm promos, for example, tickets booked and flown during the promo period did not count if the payment used partial value or vouchers issued prior to the promo.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 7:01 pm

My 2 cents worth

I presume if you are buying miles, you are intending to book your flights asap. Over at Delta, they just announced miles with no expiry but at the same time they hiked their redemption by as high as 125% with no prior notice. Just don't want you guys to end up the same state as others.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by luv_flying
Over at Delta, they just announced miles with no expiry but at the same time they hiked their redemption by as high as 125% with no prior notice. Just don't want you guys to end up the same state as others.
I just went to the DL board and found nothing about redemption levels recently being hiked. Where is that discussion?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA
No 25% bonus for NEW US-based accounts post Feb 01?

So new members need to wait for 12 days before buying miles and getting 75% bonus. What about the 25% from the toolbar download? The T&Cs say the address has to be in the US BEFORE or on Feb 1 - does that exclude new members based in the US?

I reckon new US-based accounts PROBABLY will still get the 25% toolbar bonus after the 12-day probation period, given the previous experiences of Buy/Gift Miles promos. We just need a guinea pig to find out
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I just went to the DL board and found nothing about redemption levels recently being hiked. Where is that discussion?
Here it is.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ntra-asia.html
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:31 pm

Certain intra-Asia flights like NRT-BKK and NRT-SIN just went from 20Y/40J to 45Y/70J - if you're able to get these low level awards at all - without any previous warning.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:34 pm

Oops...luv_flying beat me to it.
Anyway, I'm giving you the executive summary...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
DL actually posted award charts for non-USA awards?

Also, quelle surprise, SkyPesos are undergoing more inflation.

US redid their charts a little over a year ago. Could they inflate the charts? Sure. But that's the nature of the game. You buys your miles, you takes your chances.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP; IC - Amb
Caution: Mac users.... I made the 50K mileage purchase, then went to load the toolbar. However, it will not install on my Mac. The download page has a message that the file is compatible with IE and Firefox - no mention of Safari.
Of course, I'm not forward-thinking enough to have looked at that page PRIOR to buying the miles.
Attempting to open the downloaded file brings the message "Safari cant open the file DividendMiles-2.xpi because no available application can open it.".
Anyone have a workaround?
Old Feb 18, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP; IC - Amb
Duh - shouldn't try thinking so much before enough coffee intake. Easy solution = install Firefox on Mac, download toolbar to Firefox. Done and done.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Traveling Man
Certain intra-Asia flights like NRT-BKK and NRT-SIN just went from 20Y/40J to 45Y/70J - if you're able to get these low level awards at all - without any previous warning.
It looks more like DL was asleep at the wheel for a long time! 20Y/40J for North Asia to South Asia??? That was a ridiculous bargain and I hope you took advantage of it while it lasted.

For comparison, US's rate for that route has been 40Y/60J for quite some time -- and US's redemption levels are considered by most to be very reasonable overall.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: A few
It looks more like DL was asleep at the wheel for a long time! 20Y/40J for North Asia to South Asia??? That was a ridiculous bargain and I hope you took advantage of it while it lasted.

For comparison, US's rate for that route has been 40Y/60J for quite some time -- and US's redemption levels are considered by most to be very reasonable overall.
This was certainly one of the bargains of the DL system. But US is relatively expensive in this region. UA for example still has 20Y/30J and I think for 60 or 65 you can get "anytime" awards.

BTW nice photo trip report on your FB page! Let me rephrase, phenomenal trip report! You have me thinking of buying these miles and checking out OZ availability

Last edited by ma91pmh; Feb 18, 2011 at 6:30 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:27 am

Has anyone purchased miles? Does anyone know it will really take 5-10days for bonus miles to be posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.