Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
There are lots and lots of threads on this topic. Usually it comes down to technical glitches either on the US systems or on any of the pathways between your mailbox and theirs.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: US C.P.
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
I am on a 3part itin that began last Thurs. Comp upgrade for that flight came through fine - but I declined as Mr Sophie was also traveling and did not get upgraded.

2nd leg was yesterday, so as Gold, should have received email on Fri stating upgrade availability. Did not ever arrive.

3rd leg is this Fri, so email should have come today. Nada.

When I spoke with CS, she said she had heard this from some other travelers. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be that declining the first leg caused this?
I´m curious about you getting your upgrade, but not the Mr. Were you on the same reservation? It is my understanding that if you are both on the same pnr, you either both don´t get upgraded or you both do get upgraded. Could you please shed some light.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It appears that at times the e-mail are sent and sometime not. So far I am 2 for 12 upgrade notice's and have been upgraded on all 12 flights. Currently I'm Gold, and will make PLT next week, I'm not holding my breath for it to get better,

I am on a 3part itin that began last Thurs. Comp upgrade for that flight came through fine - but I declined as Mr Sophie was also traveling and did not get upgraded.

2nd leg was yesterday, so as Gold, should have received email on Fri stating upgrade availability. Did not ever arrive.

When I spoke with CS, she said she had heard this from some other travelers. Is anyone else experiencing this? Could it be that declining the first leg caused this?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by itsme110
I´m curious about you getting your upgrade, but not the Mr. Were you on the same reservation? It is my understanding that if you are both on the same pnr, you either both don´t get upgraded or you both do get upgraded. Could you please shed some light.
Not on same and he is Silver.

As this is the first trip ever in which I have not received emails ...considering others comments it appears I have been lucky.

At the hotel this AM, a guy was trying to log onto US - had not rec'vd emails this week either.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Oct 13, 2010 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:20 am

CS isn't IT support, so there's nothing they can do for you. Your best strategy is to just keep track of it yourself and call if there's any question you have.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
CS isn't IT support, so there's nothing they can do for you. Your best strategy is to just keep track of it yourself and call if there's any question you have.
I realize that CS isn't IT support - I happened to be on the phone with her, so asked the question.

Regardless, here is the rest of the story:

Flew final leg and spent some time in the USClub before picking up luggage. When arrived in baggage claim, there was a paper taped to my luggage (printed, obviously from the US baggage office) that listed all my flights, then stated "Passenger has declined upgrade for all segments" . ( sheet also included a bunch of acronyms that meant nothing to me...........)

So it appears that the original agent who granted my request mis-understood, and thought I was declining upgrades on all the itin flights.

Let's hope it isn't a part of my permanent record.............
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
I realize that CS isn't IT support - I happened to be on the phone with her, so asked the question.

Regardless, here is the rest of the story:

Flew final leg and spent some time in the USClub before picking up luggage. When arrived in baggage claim, there was a paper taped to my luggage (printed, obviously from the US baggage office) that listed all my flights, then stated "Passenger has declined upgrade for all segments" . ( sheet also included a bunch of acronyms that meant nothing to me...........)

So it appears that the original agent who granted my request mis-understood, and thought I was declining upgrades on all the itin flights.

Let's hope it isn't a part of my permanent record.............
wow seriously, that wouldnt be good.

what difference would it make if you got an upgrade or not, your still on the same flight with your luggage.

I've heard, depending on status, your bags will be offloaded first... if thats the case, then they put them aside and toss them down the ramp towards the end because ive never gotten any baggage faster from being silver to CP.

There was ONE instance tho, but thats because I showed up late to a flight and was the last person on the plane... but that probably meant my luggage was last to go on and first to come off
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:41 am

Oddly enough, I received an email 7 days prior in the am, 6 days prior in the am, but now being 5 days prior to flight... nothing.

I called CP desk and they said the seats are still on for revenue. I wish there was a way to check revenue vs upgrade seats while booking
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bossku69
Oddly enough, I received an email 7 days prior in the am, 6 days prior in the am, but now being 5 days prior to flight... nothing.

I called CP desk and they said the seats are still on for revenue. I wish there was a way to check revenue vs upgrade seats while booking
There is a way to check. Do an award search and look for First-Low seats. If those are available then it means upgrade space is available.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
There is a way to check. Do an award search and look for First-Low seats. If those are available then it means upgrade space is available.
Is it pretty accurate? its showing my return flight (next Thursday) with low F but my outbound still says high with 6 seating remaining on Monday.

Odd tho because I'm always on the outbound 7am flight to LAX and never had a problem before upgrading.

Thanks for the help tho, much appreciated ^
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: US Air CP/HHonors/Marriott
Im working on a year or two of no emails as a CP (randomly stopped one day). I know they have my proper email, as I am of course notified immediately when they decide to cancel a flight.

I wish I didn't live in Charlotte...these guys make me sad every time I have to book another flight and contribute money to the fiasco that is US.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Is it pretty accurate? its showing my return flight (next Thursday) with low F but my outbound still says high with 6 seating remaining on Monday.

Odd tho because I'm always on the outbound 7am flight to LAX and never had a problem before upgrading.

Thanks for the help tho, much appreciated ^
It is accurate information. Now as to upgrade space being opened up, its hit or miss. I've had flights where the upgrades have been plentiful but yet some flights where 11 out of 12 seats are unsold but yet no upgrades available at the 7 day CP window.

Originally Posted by beergolftile
Im working on a year or two of no emails as a CP (randomly stopped one day). I know they have my proper email, as I am of course notified immediately when they decide to cancel a flight.

I wish I didn't live in Charlotte...these guys make me sad every time I have to book another flight and contribute money to the fiasco that is US.
The system which sends out emails for flight cancellations is connected to the reservations themselves. The system which sends out upgrade emails is unrelated. So it is quite possible to receive emails regards flight issues but not for upgrades. Are your email settings on your DM profile set to receive all emails?

Also, if you hate US so much, stop flying them. Fly another airline and make connections instead of going non-stop/direct.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
It is accurate information. Now as to upgrade space being opened up, its hit or miss. I've had flights where the upgrades have been plentiful but yet some flights where 11 out of 12 seats are unsold but yet no upgrades available at the 7 day CP window.
I'm taking a flight Monday from MDT-PHL-LAX and looking for the PHL-LAX leg for upgrade. My flight shows no low F available, but checking PHL-LAX rather than MDT-LAX shows a low F...

MDT-PHL is a dash 8 so every seat is first class but any idea why it would show PHL-LAX available and MDT-PHL-LAX not?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: US Air CP/HHonors/Marriott
^^ makes little sense to fly another airline when 90% of your airport's flights are US. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Yeah, I could fly another airline and add 2xs to all my travel. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I don't like my HOA either, but I have to use them because I have little/no choice.

I guess because I don't like the way the government is run, I should move to Canada too?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:21 am
Suspended

I'm taking a flight Monday from MDT-PHL-LAX and looking for the PHL-LAX leg for upgrade. My flight shows no low F available, but checking PHL-LAX rather than MDT-LAX shows a low F...

MDT-PHL is a dash 8 so every seat is first class but any idea why it would show PHL-LAX available and MDT-PHL-LAX not?
Thats why when looking at upgrade space, I look at each individual flight not the trip as a whole. If you are next in line for the upgrade on the PHX/LAX flight, youll get it as long as it remains available. It doesnt matter what MDT/LAX shows, just what PHL/LAX shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.