Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I have gotten upgrade notification in the afternoon once or twice but generally they arrive in the early morning.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: US CP, Hertz Pres Cir, HH Dia, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyProf
Thanks for the information! I know a number of you have written about multiple sweeps during the day. Has anyone gotten an e-mail or upgrade mid or late day? It seems as if everyone mentions the notifications coming in early morning? Just wondering.

Thanks for all the info!
I have, but I always seem to have discovered through checking myself since emails are usually delayed.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat
Just got upgraded for both legs of my DCA-CLT-LAX next Monday. A full day late but I won't complain too much since it went through. I checked the flight profile and it hadn't upgraded as of last night.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Congrats on the UG.

Originally Posted by chris4096
Just got upgraded for both legs of my DCA-CLT-LAX next Monday. A full day late but I won't complain too much since it went through. I checked the flight profile and it hadn't upgraded as of last night.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: US Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Welcome to FT Kwidhalm. Maybe you should upgrade (not free unforutunately) to F for your London trip!
Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually going to Manchester, UK and I am quite content in coach if the alternative is an additional $300 + 30,000 miles. I picked my seats already and I only have one seat mate, my Kindle and IFE so I am good. Hoping that I can get some sleep!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
So how does the upgrade process on US work?

Newbie question here:

I'm a little dissatisfied with DL, so I'm giving US a try. I'm in the middle of a Silver challenge.

I'm flying from MEM->BOS this Sunday. I received an e-mail today informing me that I did not receive an upgrade, but I can register for a stand-by upgrade at checkin.

What do I need to know about this process? And, with only a single seat in F showing vacant, do I have any prayer of snagging it on Sunday?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
You're still in the queue so any remaining computer sweeps will pick you up IF there is no one ahead of you in queue, and IF there is an open seat. If you don't get a second email informing you that your upgrade has cleared, then check in as close to the 24-hours-before-flight mark as you can. There will be a link at the bottom of the check-in screen that lets you add yourself to the queue for day-of-departure upgrade (note: you will only see that link if you're the only traveler on the itinerary and it's a nonstop flight; if it's not a nonstop flight then check in 24-hours before the SECOND flight and you might get that link).

On the day of departure, any remaining F seats are processed first by status, then by time of check-in. You won't get notified till you are at the gate.

Being unfamiliar with that route, I can't tell you if that's a "tough" upgrade or an "easy" one. Silvers are, just like on other carriers, the last in line, so if you stick with US and increase your status, you might be happier, as the higher the status, the more upgrades you get.

I don't see any nonstops and there are quite a few itineraries with connections so if you'd post your flight numbers, I'm sure someone will check inventory for you on KVS or Expert Flyer, as the seat map on any airline is not always an accurate indicator of how many F seats are left. Sometimes the seat map shows more because someone has not assigned themselves a seat; sometimes it shows less because the airline is blocking seats (usually for handicapped access).
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:57 pm

Outbound:

2617 MEM->CLT
1822 CLT-> BOS

Aside from upgrades, the other question I have concerns seat selection. SeatGuru states that if you sit by an emergency exit on a 737 you might get wet due to condensation. Is this true?!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:58 pm

Incidentally, DL's computers always put you on every list you're eligible for. That's why I was a little confused by the instructions in the "no upgrade for you" e-mail from US
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:27 pm

MEM-CLT, that's a CRJ so no F on that plane.
CLT-BOS there is indeed only one seat left in F, according to ExpertFlyer, but there doesn't seem to be very many of the Preferred-Only seats booked/taken, and interestingly enough there are quite a few middle seats taken, which to me looks like people/pairs traveling together.

So it's not a sure thing by any means but there's a chance. Keep in mind that the tiebreaker within the status level is the BIS mileage flown so on a Silver trial you will be low on the list, but if everyone else is coupled up, there's at least a chance, as the solo traveler will upgrade before the higher-status couple when there is only one seat left.

As for the condensation, I've never been dripped on on a plane, and I've done my share of exit row's on 737's. I'd put the risk of actually getting wet waaaay down there with hitting the lottery, and the worst you mght have to endure is a sweating window or such.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:41 pm

@Patti -- Thanks for the info. Here's hoping.

In general, how is the upgrade availability for silvers on US? On DL, the only way you've got a shot is to fly during a really undesirable time. For example, I got upgraded on a MEM->MSP run recently that left MEM at 6:00am :-/
Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by AUDirt
SeatGuru states that if you sit by an emergency exit on a 737 you might get wet due to condensation. Is this true?!
Never happened to me. I have had small bits of frozen condensation fall out of the air vents on Embraer 170/175/190 aircraft on occasion, but this is usually only in very humid ground environments in the summer, and not airline specific.

I recall taking off once on a UA 767-300 and you could hear ice chunks move through the vents with the takeoff roll acceleration. That concerned people enough with the noise level that the FAs announced what it was. Even with that, though, there was no rain in the cabin.

Airbus narrowbodies will often have condensation come down from the air vents when running the AC in a humid environment in a way that resembles opening a freezer into a warm, humid room.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: US Gold; National Executive Elite; Hyatt Platinum

In general, how is the upgrade availability for silvers on US? On DL, the only way you've got a shot is to fly during a really undesirable time. For example, I got upgraded on a MEM->MSP run recently that left MEM at 6:00am :-/
Hi - I am silver - flying out of RDU, mostly through CLT sometimes PHL. I have flown 29 segments this year and have been upgraded 15 out of the 20 flights that had FC. Some of the trips were Sunday travel, but most were Mon and Fri flights.

To add to the stats, 5 - 7 of my upgrades were processed at the gate - meaning someone didnt show up so i got their seat.

Hope this helps!
Rachel
Old Apr 1, 2011, 6:38 pm

As a Silver, it really depends a lot on your route. I know Silvers who go to BOS, TPA, MCO and FLL from DCA and are at or near 100% upgrade rate; but if you're talking PHL to LAX, SFO, SAN or PHX then even CP's miss at least some of the time. If you can route MEM-DCA-BOS your upgrades may be easier; MEM-DCA (I think they still have that route) will likely be a CRJ but the frequency of service to BOS from DCA makes upgrades easier. Plus DCA makes for a much easier connection (about 200 yards from gate 35a to gate 40-something after a little bus ride from the RJ parking) than CLT.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
As a Silver, it really depends a lot on your route. I know Silvers who go to BOS, TPA, MCO and FLL from DCA and are at or near 100% upgrade rate; but if you're talking PHL to LAX, SFO, SAN or PHX then even CP's miss at least some of the time. If you can route MEM-DCA-BOS your upgrades may be easier; MEM-DCA (I think they still have that route) will likely be a CRJ but the frequency of service to BOS from DCA makes upgrades easier. Plus DCA makes for a much easier connection (about 200 yards from gate 35a to gate 40-something after a little bus ride from the RJ parking) than CLT.
Thanks for the advice. Incidentally, I am 99% sure that DCA-MEM direct no longer exists. I fly to DCA three to four times a year and the only non-stop option I can ever recall seeing is with DL.

No, it appears that after trying to fight the good fight with DL in MEM for years, US is giving up. We're losing MEM-PHX sometime in the next month. The route that I'm desperate for, MEM-PHL, has never even been rumored. I think MEM-CLT is the only game in town for now. (Which is okay given CLT's awesome airport .)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.