Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I just returned from a trip that included MIA-CLT, a leg on which I changed days so FC was not available 3 days out. I was told upgrades were not automatic, but that I could ask at the checkin to put myself on a wait list. I was paid FC but on A inventory. ExpertFlyer showed 100% booked.

At the gate I was asked my preferred seat and was given it, then everyone else on the upgrade list was also cleared, according to the agent. I was happy, but it seemed quite odd. Even though I'm CP I rarely fly domestic US so I am unaware of all this process.

Is this unusual?
Old Jan 31, 2011, 6:05 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I just returned from a trip that included MIA-CLT, a leg on which I changed days so FC was not available 3 days out. I was told upgrades were not automatic, but that I could ask at the checkin to put myself on a wait list. I was paid FC but on A inventory. ExpertFlyer showed 100% booked.

At the gate I was asked my preferred seat and was given it, then everyone else on the upgrade list was also cleared, according to the agent. I was happy, but it seemed quite odd. Even though I'm CP I rarely fly domestic US so I am unaware of all this process.

Is this unusual?
Given the timing and the fact that EF showed F as 100% booked, I'd imagine there were some misconnects that freed up space in F. These are often sorted at the gate all at once rather than little by little as it becomes apparent that there will be misconnects; otherwise if the MIA-CLT became delayed enough to allow the misconnects to make the flight, it'd be a real mess.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Sounds like you were upgraded at the 4 day mark but didn't get the e-mail saying a upgrade was available. Happened to me a lot last year.
I can see that being a plausible explanation, but in both instances, I received the email at the four day mark saying "An upgrade was not available."
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
...I've gone online to check in, and the first screen that appears (after you enter your login info for the reservation, but before you see your BP), there is a message that says something to the effect of "We're sorry, but no upgrades are available." So I see that, but then click "Add to upgrade standby list" anyway, and then when I click the "boarding pass" button, it spits out my BP with upgrade confirmed....
The same thing happened to me once a few months ago (on a mid-week PHX-PHL redeye). Really a very nice surprise as it was my very first flight on the free Trial Preferred program (buy a ticket, be a Silver).

It hasn't happened since but the auto-upgrade wizard has been working as advertised (and generous beyond my expectations). ^
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Alaska upgrades?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but didn't want to start a separate thread for it...I'm flying PHX-ANC in a few weeks--is that flight treated like any other domestic flight in terms of being auto-upgraded? I didn't know if flights to Alaska were the same as flights to Hawaii in that you don't get the complimentary upgrade. Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Same as any other domestic route.
I got upgraded for a PHL-ANC route last year at my 7 day window.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I don't know if I should have started a new thread but since it was a master thread, I decided to post here. I anticipate substantial domestic travel in this year and so my question is about domestic upgrades.
If I book my tickets on US Airways website, with a US Airways flight number, and the actual flight happens to be operated by say UA or CO, do I still get an upgrade ? Or is it only if the flight is operated by US Airways.
In the T&C, it says "Flights must be sold as a US Airways flight to be eligible; flight purchased as a code share through one of our partners will not be eligible for upgrade. ", but it didn't say that the flight has to be operated by US Airways, it just says they have to be sold as US Airways flight.
So, I'm not sure if US airways allows UDUs in UA or CO, as long as it was bought as US flight. Could anyone help me out on it. Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
You only get upgrades on US metal when you have status with US.

If you buy a UA flight codeshare, that's on US metal, and you put in your US DM number, you will be in the queue for upgrades just the same as if you booked a US ticket.

HTSC

Originally Posted by cool0012
I don't know if I should have started a new thread but since it was a master thread, I decided to post here. I anticipate substantial domestic travel in this year and so my question is about domestic upgrades.
If I book my tickets on US Airways website, with a US Airways flight number, and the actual flight happens to be operated by say UA or CO, do I still get an upgrade ? Or is it only if the flight is operated by US Airways.
In the T&C, it says "Flights must be sold as a US Airways flight to be eligible; flight purchased as a code share through one of our partners will not be eligible for upgrade. ", but it didn't say that the flight has to be operated by US Airways, it just says they have to be sold as US Airways flight.
So, I'm not sure if US airways allows UDUs in UA or CO, as long as it was bought as US flight. Could anyone help me out on it. Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
ohh, so I would not get an upgrade if bought it thru orbitz for e.g. with US flight number, but the flight was actually on UA metal (which would be more likely since US doesnt fly to as many places as UA does) ?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 2:52 pm

anyone able to tell me if flight 705 CLT-PHX next Friday Feb 11th has upgrade availability?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by samgvb
anyone able to tell me if flight 705 CLT-PHX next Friday Feb 11th has upgrade availability?
Currently 4 seats in the F cabin unsold/unticketed, none in the class O required for upgrade, and since I don't know if the CP's were upgraded this morning or not, it's very hard to tell how many of those seats are paid F seats and how many are upgrades.

ohh, so I would not get an upgrade if bought it thru orbitz for e.g. with US flight number, but the flight was actually on UA metal (which would be more likely since US doesnt fly to as many places as UA does) ?
No, it doesn't really matter where you buy the ticket; it just matters who the operating carrier is. Since UA is operating the flight, it's highly unlikely that you will get an upgrade based on your US status.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by dcpatti
...since I don't know if the CP's were upgraded this morning or not...
Chances are, they did.

Depending on status, this is where looking at the number of solo Choice and exit row seats may be helpful as well, i.e., if there are like 10 of them and the person is a low-mile Silver then the odds of getting free Kettle Classics won't be too favorable.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Correct, but you also have to be Elite to get the upgrades on US metal. But if you are flying on UA, use your DM # as it will count towards elite status on US.

Old Feb 4, 2011, 4:35 pm

I received the thanks but no thanks email indicating an upgrade wasn't available, however that's been the norm lately and I'm then upgraded at some other point during the week. I was just curious to my odds of an upgrade/availability on that flight!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Auto Upgrade Process -- 48 to 24 hours prior

I am a new CP and reading the auto-upgrade process I understand that I will be auto upgraded up to 2 days prior and then again when I check in (up to 24 hours prior).

Some questions:
1. Does the auto-upgrade always run--in other words, if a O seat becomes available does it at that time it becomes available slot me in or only once a day/evening? Any one know what time?
2. If only once a day/night should one call and check in-between these times?
3. If the auto-upgrade stops at 48 hours and one cannot check again until 24 hours--what happens from the 2nd day to the check in time? Is the assumption that the auto-upgrade does not run so one needs to call?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.