Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bwiadca
My understanding is that the upgrade works like that:

1. Status
2. Number of BIS miles from pervious year.

So if you have two CP and one seat 2 days before the flight, and the sweep is initiated by the system. CP with higher number of miles from the previous year will get the seat automatically.

I never ever check in online. I usually check in 60 minutes before my flight at the airport.
I don't think check-in time has anything to do with upgrades.
It has been speculated that mid way during the year they revert to BIS from the current year to determine upgrades within a status level instead of going to the last year.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
To the OP: with only one seat left in F unsold at the 7-day window, I would not get my heart set on riding up front. While there's a chance that you'll get the upgrade, my experience has been when flights are that full with paid F, they hold on to that last seat as long as they can, and frequently they do end up selling it. If you see the seat disappear, don't assume they've glitched you out of the upgrade. More likely, they just took someone's money for it.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:51 am
Suspended

My understanding has always been -- from 7 days to 2 days out it goes:

1) Status
2) BIS miles

At 48 hour mark it changes to:

1) Status
2) Check-in time

If that's wrong... that'd be news to me.

Last edited by masonuc; Jan 10, 2011 at 8:11 am
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by masonuc
At 48 hour mark it changes to:

1) Status
2) Check-in time

If that's wrong... that'd be news to me.
Ahem...I know that we only care to see "Your upgrade is confirmed" on those notification e-mails. However, if you read further down, this is what it says:

No upgrade? Here are a few tips...

We'll keep trying until two days before your departure. We prioritize upgrades by type of fare, your Preferred status and flight activity. We'll send you an email if your upgrade status changes.
Check in online up to 24 hours before your scheduled departure. Upgrade priority is based on the earliest check-in.
• When you check in, add yourself to the upgrade standby list. If a seat opens up, the gate agent will process your upgrade.
• Make sure the name in your Dividend Miles account matches the name on your ticket exactly.
• More than 1 Preferred member in your reservation? Traveling with a companion? Making changes? Read all the rules!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: US CP; Marriott G
My auto-upgrade did not work again

Flights coming up on tuesday, saturday, sunday and tuesday. I didn't get an email yay or nay for upgrades on flights tuesday and saturday. So saturday I called and asked whats going on. She looked and say wow yeah it didn't even try to upgrade you. So she upgraded me for tuesdays and saturdays flight and sent in a request for tech support to look at my itinerary. Today I got no email again and had to call. She said the same thing and promptly upgraded me.

This has happened to me in the past and sometimes I get a lazy agent that says "the email probably went in your junk mail", I call back and someone helps me. Has this happened to anyone else? USair thinks it might be because I have 10 segments on my itinerary.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
My flights for Friday weren't upgraded until yesterday - no email, etc. Then I received 1 email yesterday morning saying that both were upgraded. Next, I received 3 emails stating that I had already upgraded or purchased first class. I also have 2 flights on Sunday that I haven't received an email about, yet. And, when checking my intin online, I'm still sitting in Y. I may call later tonight...after the STEELERS WIN!

But, back on topic. I think something is a little wonky with the UG system.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:46 pm

I'm also starting to wonder if something is up; I keep missing an UG on a seldom missed route (one that I never missed last year, both at PP and CP) from PHX to FLL. My outbound flight is UG'ed correctly, but the return flight (for Wed) hasn't had any movement yet. Still 2 seats up in F.

I realize they could be holding them for sale.. However, I flew this route last week, same day of week, and had the same result. I missed the UG PHX to FLL (and got it on my outbound flight). I was talking to a few folks in the boarding line in PHX, and 2 of the folks in FC were Gold preferred. Now, I'm sure they could have bought up with miles (which is what I assume they did), but this doesn't seem like a "elite heavy" route. Especially given that there are still 2 seats in F available tonight. Not sure what's going on, I may give them a call. Seems like something's not right though, I never seemed to miss this upgrade with less status (and far fewer miles) in the past..

Originally Posted by USFlyer26
My flights for Friday weren't upgraded until yesterday - no email, etc. Then I received 1 email yesterday morning saying that both were upgraded. Next, I received 3 emails stating that I had already upgraded or purchased first class. I also have 2 flights on Sunday that I haven't received an email about, yet. And, when checking my intin online, I'm still sitting in Y. I may call later tonight...after the STEELERS WIN!

But, back on topic. I think something is a little wonky with the UG system.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by laclac01
Flights coming up on tuesday, saturday, sunday and tuesday. I didn't get an email yay or nay for upgrades on flights tuesday and saturday. So saturday I called and asked whats going on. She looked and say wow yeah it didn't even try to upgrade you. So she upgraded me for tuesdays and saturdays flight and sent in a request for tech support to look at my itinerary. Today I got no email again and had to call. She said the same thing and promptly upgraded me.

This has happened to me in the past and sometimes I get a lazy agent that says "the email probably went in your junk mail", I call back and someone helps me. Has this happened to anyone else? USair thinks it might be because I have 10 segments on my itinerary.
I could see the 10 segments being somehow involved; if you try to check bags on a trip like that, the commuters get all wonky too.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
I've called in a few times, even 48 hours before my flight and was told that they couldn't upgrade me... odd. Call back again and someone is easily able to push it through.

I've been on at least one flight were someone was plat and they were upgraded and I was not. I asked the guy if he bought F or was upgraded and he told me he was upgraded... I called CP desk and they admit the system is faulty.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: US PP, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, ICH Plat
windows

can someone verify the platinum window? I thought for sure it was 5 days but a CSR (and her supervisor) assured me it was 4 days.

TIA

Foy
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:20 am

Programs: US PP, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, ICH Plat
1 more quick ?

Is seatcounter out for good? any other free site to see availability?

Foy
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
I thought it was 5 days for Plats as well. A quick check of the website does indicate 4:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid.../upgrades.html

...and sadly, yes, seatcounter is down for good:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-com-down.html
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
2 for 2 on my short hop on Tuesday. And the email showed up around 5:00 this morning.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Haven't seen much talk about this happening on the thread so far, but twice in the past month, the following has happened: Inside of 24 hours, I've gone online to check in, and the first screen that appears (after you enter your login info for the reservation, but before you see your BP), there is a message that says something to the effect of "We're sorry, but no upgrades are available." So I see that, but then click "Add to upgrade standby list" anyway, and then when I click the "boarding pass" button, it spits out my BP with upgrade confirmed. So that's been a nice surprise on two LAX-CLT flights, and always gives me a ray of hope to hold onto even if I haven't been upgraded before the check-in window!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sounds like you were upgraded at the 4 day mark but didn't get the e-mail saying a upgrade was available. Happened to me a lot last year.

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Haven't seen much talk about this happening on the thread so far, but twice in the past month, the following has happened: Inside of 24 hours, I've gone online to check in, and the first screen that appears (after you enter your login info for the reservation, but before you see your BP), there is a message that says something to the effect of "We're sorry, but no upgrades are available." So I see that, but then click "Add to upgrade standby list" anyway, and then when I click the "boarding pass" button, it spits out my BP with upgrade confirmed. So that's been a nice surprise on two LAX-CLT flights, and always gives me a ray of hope to hold onto even if I haven't been upgraded before the check-in window!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.