Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Per the US Airways website:
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/preferred/upgrades.html

Upgrade notification
We send you an email the first time we try for an upgrade – no need to call. We'll continue to check for upgrades throughout the day and send follow up emails if we change your upgrade status – right up until 24 hours before your flight. If we're unable to upgrade your reservation up to 24 hours prior to departure, we'll process your upgrades when you check in online or at the airport (if they become available).

To be placed on the standby list choose the 'Add to standby list' link when you check in online. You'll only see the option to add yourself to the standby list if all passengers in your reservation are Preferred. If you're traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Please check your Dividend Miles account to make sure we have your current email address.

Preferred upgrade priority – advance travel dates
When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class. After your reservation is ticketed, we will automatically attempt to upgrade you around the clock until a seat becomes available. We prioritize full fare economy tickets over all other fares.

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days prior to departure, depending on Preferred level.

If we are unable to confirm an upgrade during our automated process, we'll try again when you check in for your flight. If seats are not available when you check in online, you can choose to be placed on the standby list.

To be placed on the standby list select the 'Add to standby list' link when checking in online. All passengers in your reservation must have Preferred status to have this option displayed at check in. If you are traveling with a companion, request that you and your companion be placed on the standby list at the airport.

Preferred upgrade priority – day of departure
•If we're unable to confirm an upgrade seat for you prior to departure, you may request an upgrade when you check in.
•Once check-in for a flight has begun, priority will be based upon Preferred level and then upon earliest check-in.
•Please advise the gate agent at the airport if you're traveling with a companion.

Companion upgrades
One non-Preferred traveling companion can upgrade when traveling on the same reservation as a Preferred member with a qualifying paid ticket. The companion will be upgraded at the same time as the Preferred member.

more info to add? PM aztimm.
Print Wikipost

US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
The auto-upgrade system runs several times per day. There's no need to call - agents cannot override the system anyway. If you check-in online at the 24-hour mark, you will be at the top of the upgrade waitlist and your upgrade will likely clear at the gate (or possibly sometime prior to that) if there are any remaining first class seats. The only time an agent can force an upgrade over the phone is when there is some technical problem preventing your reservation from being in the auto-upgrade queue.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Thanks. Most helpful. Today I have a flight next week, March 10th, and have not received an email as of noon. I called to inquiry about it and the CP desk said the auto-upgrade had not run and she did not know why? Is the program run 7 days to the flight time? Should I continue to call? The CP desk said there were several O seats..
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
That is not correct the agents can over ride the system, they have forced an upgrade for me.

Originally Posted by FlyerAl
The auto-upgrade system runs several times per day. There's no need to call - agents cannot override the system anyway. If you check-in online at the 24-hour mark, you will be at the top of the upgrade waitlist and your upgrade will likely clear at the gate (or possibly sometime prior to that) if there are any remaining first class seats. The only time an agent can force an upgrade over the phone is when there is some technical problem preventing your reservation from being in the auto-upgrade queue.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
That is not correct the agents can over ride the system, they have forced an upgrade for me.
They are not supposed to, except in very specific cases such as upgrading someone with a lap child. There are still those that will bend the rules but if everyone's bypassing the system, then the system stays broken.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Patti the system is not broken if IT allows it.

Originally Posted by dcpatti
They are not supposed to, except in very specific cases such as upgrading someone with a lap child. There are still those that will bend the rules but if everyone's bypassing the system, then the system stays broken.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Patti the system is not broken if IT allows it.
IT breaks too. I wouldn't have a job if it didn't. I think their IT systems aren't properly configured to give the agents the ability to force manual upgrades in the situations that truly warrant them, while still preventing that when the situation doesn't. So they currently need the agents to know the rules and follow the policies. Some will, some won't.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: US CP
Just made CP

Hello all. Just made CP. Companion and I are headed to the Caribbean for the first time as DM members in eight days. What are the upgrade chances when the CP window begins tonight for Caribbean destinations? There are still 8 seats left. Also, does anyone know why the first row of F always shows full?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT, FlyProf. The window opens tomorrow morning but US may not actually release seats for several days yet - so don't fret if you don't get the upgrade tomorrow. But with 8 seats showing your chances appear fairly good.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by FlyerAl
The auto-upgrade system runs several times per day. There's no need to call - agents cannot override the system anyway. .
Let me throw one caveat out there. There is no need to call if you get the email at your respective window. For some reason, there was a 2-3 week period in 2010 where my DM# was recurrently dropped out of my reservations. I noticed it when I was inside my 7 day window and did not get an email from USair or AMEX business travel. I called the CP desk, they pushed my upgrade through. I had to do this about 6 times for some reason.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm not convinced the system works all the time. My upcoming IAH trip is a perfect example. 4:00 am ET rolls by and no update. 8:00 ET rolls by and no update. 12:00 ET rolls by and no update.

I check the seatmap on my IAD-CLT leg of my trip and F is WIDE open. And I mean F9.

I had to call to get them to process the upgrade.

What gives with that?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The IT people have something for people from SAN. I never got a upgrade notice last year.

Originally Posted by ITRADE
I'm not convinced the system works all the time. My upcoming IAH trip is a perfect example. 4:00 am ET rolls by and no update. 8:00 ET rolls by and no update. 12:00 ET rolls by and no update.

I check the seatmap on my IAD-CLT leg of my trip and F is WIDE open. And I mean F9.

I had to call to get them to process the upgrade.

What gives with that?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Amazing. Return trip upgraded within minutes of 5:00 am. Both segments too.

Wow. Batting 5/6 as as GP this year. Whoda thunk it.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: US Gold, UA 1K
Well, I am new to this site and I am a US Silver but will be Gold by June. I went to CA two weeks ago and on the return flight (PHX to BOS leg) I was surprised to get an email giving me an upgrade. Yes, it was a Sunday flight and a red eye but the flight was full. While I am not complaining I find it hard to believe that there wasn't someone with a higher status on the flight as well. Yippee for me is all that I can say!

Long flight to the UK in 2 weeks in coach.

Kate
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT Kwidhalm. Maybe you should upgrade (not free unforutunately) to F for your London trip!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: US CP
Upgrade

Thanks for the information! I know a number of you have written about multiple sweeps during the day. Has anyone gotten an e-mail or upgrade mid or late day? It seems as if everyone mentions the notifications coming in early morning? Just wondering.

Thanks for all the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.