Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Peppep
Sure, it depends on the agent, I was able to get BGO-BKK-TYO-ICN-BGO as North Asia. BGO-BKK is 5591, BGO-TYO is 5335.
BGO as part of North Asia? That's a new one...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
those Guam tickets defied all logic
And to think that I thought it was the "norm" to be able to do such ridiculous routings! ZOMG. Only on USDM
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: US Airways, Marriott
Hi All - I'm trying to book a Thailand honeymoon in mid June from Washington DC to Phuket, with a two night stopover in Bangkok on the return trip. I have just enough USDM for two business class seats. I put together my itinerary using UA's website, which showed business class award seats available, but when I called the USDM agent, she said there was no availability, specifically from IAD to either PEK or NRT (and on the return trip). I've heard that ANA's search tool is a good source to check Star Alliance availability, so I checked their site. The same flights that are showing up as available on UA's site are unavailable on ANA. Can someone help me understand why UA's availability would be different, especially if my flight would be on UA? And can anyone give me some tips/suggestions on finding an alternate route to cross the Pacific? Should I just keep calling back and hoping seats become available? Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by thailandbound
Hi All - I'm trying to book a Thailand honeymoon in mid June from Washington DC to Phuket, with a two night stopover in Bangkok on the return trip. I have just enough USDM for two business class seats. I put together my itinerary using UA's website, which showed business class award seats available, but when I called the USDM agent, she said there was no availability, specifically from IAD to either PEK or NRT (and on the return trip). I've heard that ANA's search tool is a good source to check Star Alliance availability, so I checked their site. The same flights that are showing up as available on UA's site are unavailable on ANA. Can someone help me understand why UA's availability would be different, especially if my flight would be on UA? And can anyone give me some tips/suggestions on finding an alternate route to cross the Pacific? Should I just keep calling back and hoping seats become available? Many thanks in advance.
Try checking for availability on LH419 (the 747-8i) from IAD-FRA and then connecting to TG920 (A380) FRA-BKK, if you're a fan of flying different types of new aircraft.

Are you looking at "standard" or "saver" availability on United.com? ANA only shows "saver". Other (much) better ways of crossing the Pacific include ANA's new business class on the 787s from SEA/SJC to NRT or 77W from ORD to NRT, TG's 77W from LAX-ICN-BKK, OZ's new 772 from ORD-ICN... Too many to count. Why fly UA longhaul when Asian airlines are so much better?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by sporadic
BGO as part of North Asia? That's a new one...
TYO = North Asia.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA , SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, United, Aeroplan, Hyatt Plat
i use awardtravelr.com its prob the easiest one to use
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question

We are booked to fly from YYZ-YUL-MUC, YYZ-YUL on AC and YUL-MUC on LH all in J. Now the LH flight leaves YUL at 9pm, when I initially booked the YYZ-YUL portion, only 2 J seats and 2 Y seats were available on the same flight, at 12 noon from YYZ.

My parents are wheelchair people, and now are complaining that they will sit in YUL for 8 hours to connect to LH.

Can I call US and make the change to downgrade all of us into a later flight from YYZ-YUL all in Y instead as J is not available?

Will we have to pay for this change?

Last edited by djjaguar64; Jan 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Is this itin legal?

SFO - LHR UA stopover
LHR - ZRH LX
ZRH - HKG LX
HKG - ICN TG destination

ICN - SIN SQ
SIN - BKK SQ
BKK - VIE OS
VIE - ORD OS

So I have an open jaw in there as well: start from SFO, end with ORD.

For the return, I wanted to have
ICN-SIN-BKK-VIE-LHR-SFO.
But then I will have 9 segments. Is that possible?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 9:50 pm

Should be no problem making this change. Unfortunately this will likely involve a $150 change fee per person, although may be worth asking anyway!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
SFO - LHR UA stopover
LHR - ZRH LX
ZRH - HKG LX
HKG - ICN TG destination

ICN - SIN SQ
SIN - BKK SQ
BKK - VIE OS
VIE - ORD OS

ICN-SIN-BKK-VIE-LHR-SFO.
You can only do one stopover OR one open jaw. This itinerary is not allowed. You may, however, do ICN-SIN-BKK-VIE-ORD-SFO, and opt not to fly the ORD-SFO leg after reclaiming bags at ORD.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:07 pm

SFO - LHR UA stopover
LHR - ZRH LX
ZRH - HKG LX
HKG - ICN TG destination

ICN - SIN SQ
SIN - BKK SQ
BKK - VIE OS
VIE - ORD OS

ICN-SIN-BKK-VIE-LHR-SFO.
No, not possible. Can't do an open jaw AND stopover. It's either/or.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by flashware
No, not possible. Can't do an open jaw AND stopover. It's either/or.
Thanks. But 9 segments are possible then?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 pm

Thanks. But 9 segments are possible then?
Assuming it's a valid routing and doesn't exceed MPM then yep! I don't have the tools to check, so maybe someone else can help you there.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:00 am

Hi All - I'm trying to book a Thailand honeymoon in mid June from Washington DC to Phuket, with a two night stopover in Bangkok on the return trip. ....And can anyone give me some tips/suggestions on finding an alternate route to cross the Pacific?
Are you set on flying over the pacific? From DC it might be easier/quicker to go via Europe...

For example OS has daily flights to BKK from VIE. There are also a few direct flights from IAD to VIE on week of 15th June. Also daily flights from NY and flights over the weekend from ORD. Their new business class product looks cool - although I am not sure if the IAD flights will have it - see here.

Taking OS all the way to BKK you will have to layover most of the day in Vienna.... If that doesn't interest you then do a search on the united site for alternative flights VIE-BKK. There are some TG flights that go from different stops around Europe that might have more convenient timing.

Alternatively going via IST has better connection times. Their business class has a reputation of being a good product.

If you are set on going over the pacific - it does seem that there are very few flights available from the east-coast to TYO/ICN for mid-june. (check AC for a couple of flights YYZ-TYO. Also NH NYC-TYO). There is a bit of availability from SEA/LAX/SFO to TYO/ICN - but then you will have to deal with transcon. in Y.

Via Europe seems a better bet...
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: All of 'em
Any reason this would be invalid.

CLE - TLV (stopover)
TLV - HKG (destination)
HKG - CLE (destination)

Would they price this at 90k in biz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.