FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Jan 13, 2013, 5:27 pm
sporadic

Originally Posted by thailandbound
Hi All - I'm trying to book a Thailand honeymoon in mid June from Washington DC to Phuket, with a two night stopover in Bangkok on the return trip. I have just enough USDM for two business class seats. I put together my itinerary using UA's website, which showed business class award seats available, but when I called the USDM agent, she said there was no availability, specifically from IAD to either PEK or NRT (and on the return trip). I've heard that ANA's search tool is a good source to check Star Alliance availability, so I checked their site. The same flights that are showing up as available on UA's site are unavailable on ANA. Can someone help me understand why UA's availability would be different, especially if my flight would be on UA? And can anyone give me some tips/suggestions on finding an alternate route to cross the Pacific? Should I just keep calling back and hoping seats become available? Many thanks in advance.
Try checking for availability on LH419 (the 747-8i) from IAD-FRA and then connecting to TG920 (A380) FRA-BKK, if you're a fan of flying different types of new aircraft.

Are you looking at "standard" or "saver" availability on United.com? ANA only shows "saver". Other (much) better ways of crossing the Pacific include ANA's new business class on the 787s from SEA/SJC to NRT or 77W from ORD to NRT, TG's 77W from LAX-ICN-BKK, OZ's new 772 from ORD-ICN... Too many to count. Why fly UA longhaul when Asian airlines are so much better?