Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by metoo
Need help in finding a savers award ticket for biz or first from LAX to BKK and RGN to LAX or any city close to LAX.

Flight out on december 21, 2013, flight back on January 5, 2013.

Managed to book my sister a ticket from Canada to BKK and BKK to Canada for above dates but having a difficult time finding one for me.

Please help. I can't seem to find anything on Expert flyer.

I also have AA miles and Alaska to book two one way tickets if I need to.
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
PEK  Beijing Capital CN [ZBAA]
BKK  Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
SAT  21 Dec 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CA         984     LAX   00:40     PEK   05:30 +1  773  0   FS+  CS-  YS-
 -> CA     959     PEK   13:40 +1  BKK   18:05 +1  738  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
CA         988     LAX   11:50     PEK   16:40 +1  773  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
 -> CA     979     PEK   19:45 +1  BKK   23:45 +1  772  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
PEK  Beijing Capital CN [ZBAA]
BKK  Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
SAT  21 Dec 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CA         984     LAX   00:40     PEK   05:30 +1  773  0   FS+  CS-  YS-
 -> CA     959     PEK   13:40 +1  BKK   18:05 +1  738  0   FS/  CS+  YS+
CA         988     LAX   11:50     PEK   16:40 +1  773  0   FS+  CS-  YS+
 -> CA     979     PEK   19:45 +1  BKK   23:45 +1  772  0   FS/  CS-  YS-
which incidentally are the same results as returned by United.com if you search using 'award travel' and look under 'saver awards'. Metoo - suggest you have a play around with UA.com
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:37 am

Final Outcome

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
It can go either way - some agents will and some won't charge you the higher price for a stop in a higher zone. However...ff an agent has already annotated the booking determining it is 100K you may have little luck getting that changed (short of cancelling the whole thing and starting again - and even then you might have the same issue).

Given you have 11 segments (instead of the 'usual' 8 or so) I would say just bite the bullet and pay the extra 10K.

Congrats on your first post!!
Thanks for your input! I got a little greedy, but lived to tell about it. My final routing was:

MCI-ORD-YUL-ZRH (stop)
ZRH-VIE-IST-PVG (destination)
PVG-ICN-NRT-ORD-MCI

I got it to price at 90k miles pp, which I got entirely through the Oct. share miles promo, so I'm rtw in biz for $723 ai pp. Long hauls are LX/TK/NH lie-flat products, so excited to give those a spin.

Very happy with this one, again thanks and glad to be here!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by kctrojan
I'm rtw in biz for $723 ai pp.
Your math must be a little off. It cost $0.01 per mile + 7.5% tax + $30 fee per transaction (max 50,000 x 2) to share miles, so it cost at least $1027.50 to create 90k. Plus taxes, plus $50 fee to book.

Still, a fantastic deal!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:13 pm

which incidentally are the same results as returned by United.com if you search using 'award travel' and look under 'saver awards'. Metoo - suggest you have a play around with UA.com

Shown as error when I try booking.

Any chance NH will add more flights for december 21, 2013 or january 5th, 2014. I needed to make a stop over so I couldn't book the NH availability for LAX to BKK till I see the avaialbility for Jan 5th
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by bwiadca
I'm afraid that they will count it as RTW flight as all the flights are Eastbound. DC-FRA-PEK-PVG-NRT-DC
I always thought that RTW routings, by US's definition, include four stopovers. Some agents get this rule confused when and incorrectly reject an itinerary that takes you all East- or Westbound when you only have one or no stopovers.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Anyone have any recent success booking NZ from Auckland to the States in any class of service as an award ticket?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:39 pm

Legitimate route or not with #of segments

Thinking about booking the following segments (many)

LAX-PEK-BKK-CNX (stopover)
CNX-BKK-RGN (destination)
RGN-SIN-HND-LAX

Is the above doable? Only one segment is first class and rest is biz. Is it worth paying the Savers Award ticket for only one first class segment from LAX to PEK? Or should I just go with United Airlines for 130k
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Thinking about booking the following segments (many)

LAX-PEK-BKK-CNX (stopover)
CNX-BKK-RGN (destination)
RGN-SIN-HND-LAX

Is the above doable? Only one segment is first class and rest is biz. Is it worth paying the Savers Award ticket for only one first class segment from LAX to PEK? Or should I just go with United Airlines for 130k
First of all, I don't believe US offers a "Savers Award" on *A routings. So I'm not sure what you're referring to. And unless you have a ton of miles to burn, I would not pay an F rate (160K miles) with only one of eight segments actually in F.

Aside from that, you are backtracking through BKK to get to your stopover, CNX. That may result in a denied routing request, depending on the agent you get. But I've also seen many backtracking routes get ticketed without question.

Last edited by tommyleo; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I always thought that RTW routings, by US's definition, include four stopovers. Some agents get this rule confused when and incorrectly reject an itinerary that takes you all East- or Westbound when you only have one or no stopovers.
correct. RTW = multiple stops allowed.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 pm

Defn of courtesy award ticket hold

I got off the phone with U.S. Airways agent about half hour ago. I have a courtesy hold on an awards ticket till February 23, 2013. I did not give any credit card information.

However, when I look at the flight on Expert Flyer and United Search Engine, it is still showing as available. Does this mean that if someone purchases the exact segment I have on courtesy hold, I would lose it?

Also, one segment of SQ 997 from RGN to SIN is showing availability on United And Expertflyer search engine but U.S. agent cannot book that segment even though she can search it on the computer.

Anyone know why she can't book it for me?

TIA
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
I got off the phone with U.S. Airways agent about half hour ago. I have a courtesy hold on an awards ticket till February 23, 2013. I did not give any credit card information.

However, when I look at the flight on Expert Flyer and United Search Engine, it is still showing as available. Does this mean that if someone purchases the exact segment I have on courtesy hold, I would lose it?

Also, one segment of SQ 997 from RGN to SIN is showing availability on United And Expertflyer search engine but U.S. agent cannot book that segment even though she can search it on the computer.

Anyone know why she can't book it for me?

TIA
I believe United's search results are often cached, so if you recently searched for the space it might just the old data (on the United side, nothing you can do about that). You have a much better chance of getting real inventory data from ANA. When I have had holds on US awards the seat have always become unavailable, but then again, I check availability with ANA. It could also be that there are still free seats or seats are released as they are used. Thai is known to release new seats when old seats are taken. Maybe you will not be the only pax on an award on your flight.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

correct. RTW = multiple stops allowed.
Lets look at this.
IAD-FRA-PEK 3 days at PEK
PEK-SHA 3 days at SHA
SHA-ICN-NRT-IAD

Will I be able to book it?

I also found return flights PVG-BKK-DME-VIE-IAD if the first one wont work. Do I need visa to transfer via DME? The transfer time is only 2 hours.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question Change Fees

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
ok guys, I must be kinda slow, but I finally got it, thank you all for your input and insight.
One quick question, so besides paying the $150 and change in taxes, are there any other fees when changes are made to an existing reservation?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:46 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Lets look at this.
IAD-FRA-PEK 3 days at PEK
PEK-SHA 3 days at SHA
SHA-ICN-NRT-IAD

Will I be able to book it?

I also found return flights PVG-BKK-DME-VIE-IAD if the first one wont work. Do I need visa to transfer via DME? The transfer time is only 2 hours.
You should be able to book that routing.

The alternative one you'll likely get resistance on, as it goes through Central/South Asia (at least I got resistance when I tried to do this), plus some agents recite a "4 segments each way" rule. Though couldn't hurt to try a few times.

If you're staying in DME (which, for two hours, I can't imagine any other option), you don't need a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.