Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
Used U S Air miles on LH for Business Class to Europe

Just redeemed 200,000 Dividend Miles for 2 business tix on LH PHL-PRG and BUD-PHL in late Sept outbound and mid-Oct return. Taxes, et al were only about $250. Think this is a good use of these miles - purchased tickets would have been almost $11,000 for the pair (not that I would have paid that!)
So about 5 cents of avoided cost per mile spent.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Great Job!! Did you find availability or did the agent volunteer it? Again, super job on your booking.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHC Spire
As suggested in the first page of this thread, I used the ANA website to check partner availability. Then called US Air reservations and spoke to a very knowledgable rep - completed BOTH the ANA search and actual booking in less than 1 hour. Was a very positive experience.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I need to travel BOS-AMS-PVG-BOS, with a stopover needed in both AMS and PVG. I realize that AMS isn't a hub for anything but KLM, so I'd consider making the routing through FRA or ZRH or something nearby if it makes the routing possible. I don't have any idea of this is possible, but is it possible to do the BOS-PVG-BOS through FRA on the outbound with a stopover for 60k? This dates are somewhat flexible, but basically May will be in AMS and June in PVG.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If I understand your itinerary correctly the simplest would be to get an award for BOS-PVG-BOS with a stopover in FRA, MUC or ZRH and to buy a separate return ticket to AMS for around €100 in coach.
If you choose FRA, then you can also take the direct train to AMS.
InterCityExpress (ICE), ca. 3:40 hours, for a price from EUR 39.- (2nd class, return)...
www.bahn.de
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: SQ
Yes, just what I was thinking....nothing wrong with buying a cheap ticket to AMS or taking the train. Glad to see that they allow flights to Asia through Europe...makes this a lot easier.

Now I just have to get some miles from the GS so I can basically get a 'free' upgrade to J
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by abcx
Why are we suddenly getting so many stupid questions from Australian members? Did the whole continent just wake up and discover FT or something?
hehe I soooooooooo understand where you are coming from!

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Something to do with what was discussed in this post?
^

Originally Posted by 747-444
Is there a window period from signing up until I can buy miles and recieve the bonus miles?

I signed up 3 days ago and don't want to run the risk of buying miles only to discover I can't get the bonus ones right away.
It's newbie questions like this that irrate me. You see, I was a Backstreet Boys fan back in my time and one of their songs As Long As You Love Me can apply here when wanting to book these awards, it goes something like this:-

I don't care who you are, Where your from, What you did, As long as you read the Page 1 sticky.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by alanslegal
I don't care who you are, Where your from, What you did, As long as you read the Page 1 sticky.
As a point of sanity, you can block reading messages from certain posters with, well, moronic questions, ie, can relatives use my miles, how do I redeem US miles, etc. Then they promptly answer their own question with yet another post!

So, yes, most questions can be answered by reading the sticky. And I agree with you 100%. But the blocking tool is great too .

Last edited by TPA us ff; Sep 6, 2011 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
^^^^^
Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: QF KF
hehe I soooooooooo understand where you are coming from!

^

It's newbie questions like this that irrate me. You see, I was a Backstreet Boys fan back in my time and one of their songs As Long As You Love Me can apply here when wanting to book these awards, it goes something like this:-

That takes the cake! I am only 1-2 steps above newbie but the first thing I did after signing up to DM was to read, read and read a bit more!

I actually learnt more last night through useing the ANA tool than I had over the past few weeks useing Aeroplan. I find Aeroplan easier (read: prettier) to use but doesn't give me the answers I want.

I had hoped to do some ANA searching during breaks at work today however I left my card at home so can't remember my number! Argh!!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Is it free for this DM account? And if so, where do I sign up?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
This whole Aussie dollar thing being stronger is a bit rubbish really...

Last year the cost of a J return before taxes etc was about $1970. This year it is about $1600.

If you couldn't afford the extra $370 last year over this year then it doesn't bode well for your trip! You have to get travel insurance, hotels, cash etc etc.

Which just makes the point doubly strong. Many of these new people are first time business class travelers. However they are not content with just an out-and-back with a nice stopover... they are demanding 10 segment round the worlds. Or the latest SQ/LH premium offerings.

They don't seem to stop for a moment and think the alternative would be a 31' coach seat on a 777 with 3+4+3 seating...

All of that is FINE... i really don't mind... but its just that the ame questions get asked in order to try and reach those goals instead of doing a bit of leg work themselves and coming up with the answer.

lakers6902 - classic very funny!!
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lakers6902
Is it free for this DM account? And if so, where do I sign up?
No, it's not free and you can't sign up. This DM account requires minimum investment of $10000/yr and only if you have an invitation.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Need your help HYD-SFO-HYD

I need FT experts help in booking a flight from HYD-SFO-HYD.

Travel dates are: Sept 12, 2011(flexible) return Feb-end 2012(~170 days stay).

I checked ANA(not much helpful), KVS tool, Continental(very helpful).

Continental shows Business class availability with 60000 miles.

Can I use my US Airways miles(~124000) to book the above itinerary and what will be the charges?

Thanks in Advance.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by concordian
I need FT experts help in booking a flight from HYD-SFO-HYD.

Travel dates are: Sept 12, 2011(flexible) return Feb-end 2012(~170 days stay).

I checked ANA(not much helpful), KVS tool, Continental(very helpful).

Continental shows Business class availability with 60000 miles.

Can I use my US Airways miles(~124000) to book the above itinerary and what will be the charges?

Thanks in Advance.
please refer to the us airways dividend miles pages on the us airways site.

you will need to join us airways even before you can think about redeeming awards

once you join (even before ) you will see all the information there including the award charts and mileage levels you need.

also refer to the sticky on page one of this thread.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
Smile

I clearly mentioned that I have 124000 US Airways miles, so I am a member of US Dividend miles program

I did some search but wanted experts to confirm no of miles required for a business class redemption.

US Airways chart shows 120000 miles, doesn't even say if its Round trip or one-way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.