Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lscorpio
Made my first award booking today, Europe-N.Asia award in F. Was prepared for a long phone call with US, but I was impressed by the quick handling by the brittish US representative. All-in-all an 8 min call and the simple 4 leg itinerary was complete with taxes quoted.^
your experience is largely 'normal' a main real reason calls take so long is because people sometimes want very complex itineraries, which is fine, but they often run into difficulties because they aren't happy with a perfectly acceptable alternative if their intended award is not available ( especially an alternative which for some reason might involve one less glass of champagne, or one less lounge)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
y especially an alternative which for some reason might involve one less glass of champagne, or one less lounge)
wise words ..... just get me from A to B, ideally sleeping all the way ....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
TG hasn't done their award availability all the way out 330 days. I see October on NH's site but not December.

The good news is that if it's not entered in nobody can snag it from me.
I do not see TG results in searches done for 60 days. ANA just not showing TG in their search. Is it me or for everyone.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:18 pm
formerly RZachSmith

I'm working on a potential IAD-BKK-SYD trip in C for next December.

In order to make this work I think I'll need to use OZ for ORD/SFO/LAX-ICN - and their space is available so far into early December, which is what I would expect.

However to do a stopover in BKK, I know I need TG space for ICN-BKK-SYD. It appears TG space is only showing up through mid-October as of right now. Does TG typically not load space until inside of ~300 days or something? I'm worried the timing difference could cause the OZ space to disappear before the TG space frees up.

Obviously it won't be ideal to book without the stop in BKK and then spend $150 to move the routing through BKK, but I guess it might be worth it if that's what I have to do to ensure the TPac space. Any thoughts on if we can expect TG to catch up to a ~330 day release?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by RZachSmith
Does TG typically not load space until inside of ~300 days or something? I'm worried the timing difference could cause the OZ space to disappear before the TG space frees up.
Correct...TG can take longer to release than others and not necessarily a rolling 330 days or similar. All of the 'missing' inventory will likely be released in one go at a certain point. I think this comes up twice a year related to seasons.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Reverse open-jaws?

Does anyone know if reverse open-jaws are allowed in the same region?

For example, I know JFK-LAX//SFO-JFK is allowed as a standard open-jaw return, but could you do LAX-JFK(dest)-SFO as a valid return?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by smit0847

For example, I know JFK-LAX//SFO-JFK is allowed as a standard open-jaw return, but could you do LAX-JFK(dest)-SFO as a valid return?
Open jaws and stopovers are not permitted on intra-region awards. However, if you above itinerary was between different regions, it would be acceptable, although some HUACA may be necessary
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rocket69
I do not see TG results in searches done for 60 days. ANA just not showing TG in their search. Is it me or for everyone.
It would help us confirm your results if you gave us particular dates and routes. And, as mentioned, TG does not do availability at T-330, so TG doesn't have anything up for December 2013 yet.

If you would like confirmation of this, use ANA to search NRT-BKK on 10/1/13 with return of 10/4/13, and the same search on 12/1/13 with return of 12/4/13.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:09 am

So with the new buy miles promo I'm gonna try my hand at another intra-South Pacific award.

This time going for SYD-SIN-DEL-ICN-ROR-GUM-TYO-BKK-SYD for 40K in F...

Let's see how this goes.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by nicksname
Open jaws and stopovers are not permitted on intra-region awards.
Citation needed!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by lscorpio
Made my first award booking today, Europe-N.Asia award in F. Was prepared for a long phone call with US, but I was impressed by the quick handling by the brittish US representative. All-in-all an 8 min call and the simple 4 leg itinerary was complete with taxes quoted.^
I also made my first award booking last month and it took them about 10 mns.
May I ask you if you're were able to secure a F seat outside of TG nor ANA ,?
(who else is flying from Europe to Asia where we can book a F seat ? Asiana ?)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
I also made my first award booking last month and it took them about 10 mns.
May I ask you if you're were able to secure a F seat outside of TG nor ANA ,?
(who else is flying from Europe to Asia where we can book a F seat ? Asiana ?)
TG is generally wide open... a good two (sometimes even more) first class award seats on pretty much every flight. ana f can be hard (not impossible) to secure. asiana is another one that is generally fine, they fly out of Frankfurt in F.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by smit0847

Yes, possible!

Originally Posted by nicksname
Open jaws and stopovers are not permitted on intra-region awards.
There is no restriction about open jaws in a intra-region award... No stopovers is correct!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
TG is generally wide open... a good two (sometimes even more) first class award seats on pretty much every flight. ana f can be hard (not impossible) to secure. asiana is another one that is generally fine, they fly out of Frankfurt in F.
Thank you for the info.
I'll fly ANA to NRT and TG from BKK( home is CDG)
I have no tool to search and checked manually (T-4/8 weeks prior departure on aeroplan.com, my 5 cents :
- TG seems to have F seat every 5 days
- ANA every 10/15 days
- from Tokyo to BKK I found no direct flight in F nor J (nor ANA nor TG) and I did check a good 20 if not 30 dates.
I'll connect in Osaka
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
So with the new buy miles promo I'm gonna try my hand at another intra-South Pacific award.

This time going for SYD-SIN-DEL-ICN-ROR-GUM-TYO-BKK-SYD for 40K in F...

Let's see how this goes.
21,408 miles!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.