Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lkar
On NZ 747 with 3 classes -- economy, premium economy, and lie flat premier business -- what US *A reward level is required to book premier business? Is it business or first?
Business - booking class I.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG, BA
Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
I booked an award a few months back LHR-FRA-PEK-BKK-LHR in First.

However, at the time of booking, the LHR-FRA leg only had Y available, so I was booked into that.

However though, I've seen on ANA that C for this leg is now available.

If I phone US to change it to C, will I get charged $150 change fee for this or not.
I'm pretty certain that it won't cost any more miles but if I'm forced to pay the $150, maybe it isn't worth doing is it?

Just to keep everyone updated ... phoned US to see if they would change the first leg to C, and was told that I am indeed in C.

I was 100% sure that I was in Y when booked (agent confirmed and ANA showed no C available).

Maybe US has rebooked me free of charge into C when availability opened up. If so ^ to them!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:55 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to get a valid routing for 100K miles in F from OSL (Europe) to TPE (North Asia).

I know there are a lot of flights between HKG (also defined as North Asia) and TPE, but that is mostly Cathay Pacific (oneworld) flights. Is it possible to get a valid "Europe-North Asia"-routing without having to go via BKK and pay for a "Europe-South/Central-Asia"-award rate; 110K miles?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jcnorway
I'm trying to figure out how to get a valid routing for 100K miles in F from OSL (Europe) to TPE (North Asia).

I know there are a lot of flights between HKG (also defined as North Asia) and TPE, but that is mostly Cathay Pacific (oneworld) flights. Is it possible to get a valid "Europe-North Asia"-routing without having to go via BKK and pay for a "Europe-South/Central-Asia"-award rate; 110K miles?
Lots of options. You could do a European carrier (LH via FRA, for example) to Tokyo or Seoul, then ANA (from NRT) or OZ (from ICN) to TPE.

Or, you could pick up one of those Asian carriers wherever they fly in Europe and take them to their hub and connect from there to TPE.

Think about all the Star Alliance hubs in Europe and North Asia, look at their individual route maps, then start piecing segment possibilities together. Then use the ANA tool to find availability. It's exactly what most of us do to put together a trip like you're describing.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Lots of options. You could do a European carrier (LH via FRA, for example) to Tokyo or Seoul, then ANA (from NRT) or OZ (from ICN) to TPE.

Or, you could pick up one of those Asian carriers wherever they fly in Europe and take them to their hub and connect from there to TPE.
Also, unless you stop in BKK it's possible that you are charged the lower Europe-N. Asia rate.

With US you never know until you book, and sometimes not even then.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:59 pm

Airlines serving TPE:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...n/airport/tpe/

So long as you transit at any of the above referenced regions, you'll be ok with the EU-N Asia rate.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:09 pm

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences. They really helped me piece together my award travel. Here is what I was able to book, about 2 weeks ago, through the SP reservations number:

LAX - BKK (TG C) - Stopover

BKK - DPS (TG C) - Destination

DPS - BKK (TG C)
BKK - KIX (TG C) - Stopover

KIX - SFO (UA C)
SFO - LAX (UA Y)

Last edited by jmoneta; Jun 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can some expert please let me know how easy it is these days to buy F award tickets on LH, TG or SQ for flights from Europe to SE Asia? I am Platinum if that matters.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:24 am

Thanks for the advises.

Could you please advise me if this routing is valid?

OSL-FRA (LH or SK)
FRA-NRT (LH)
NRT-TPE (NH or UA) (stopover @ TPE)
TPE-ICN (OZ) (stopover @ ICN)
ICN-FRA (OZ or LH)
FRA-OSL (LH or SK)

I have read the first posts in this thread regarding stopovers and backtrackings, but could need some advises on this specific routing. Thanks for all the help ^
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:29 am

Thanks for the advises.

Could you please advise me if this routing is valid?

OSL-FRA (LH or SK)
FRA-NRT (LH)
NRT-TPE (NH or UA) (stopover @ TPE)
ICN-FRA (OZ or LH)
FRA-OSL (LH or SK)

I have read the first posts in this thread regarding stopovers and backtrackings, but could need some advises on this specific routing. Thanks for all the help ^
Looks fine to me. Technically, one of ICN or TPE is your destination.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:34 am

My destination is TPE.

So if I'm allowed one stopover each way, can this work out as a valid route?

OSL-FRA (LH or SK)
FRA-NRT (LH) (stopover @ NRT)
NRT-TPE (NH or UA) (destination TPE)
ICN-FRA (OZ or LH)
FRA-OSL (LH or SK)
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:36 am

My destination is TPE. So if I'm allowed one stopover each way, can this work out as a valid route?

OSL-FRA (LH or SK)
ICN-FRA (OZ or LH)
FRA-OSL (LH or SK)
Officially, you're not allowed two stopovers anymore (after June 1). But as with all things US, YMMV. In my limited experience, if you're trying to push the routing rules, calling in the wee hours of the morning (PST) has been better.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
My destination is TPE.

So if I'm allowed one stopover each way, can this work out as a valid route?

OSL-FRA (LH or SK)
ICN-FRA (OZ or LH)
FRA-OSL (LH or SK)
Looks fine to me, however I would only go for 1 stopover since only 1 is allowed.

Now some advice. I'm sure you can't book most flights FRA-NRT because it is now operated by A380 and LH blocks F in this aircraft. Even if there is F availability on a 744 I would recommend you fly LX via ZRH. LX F IMO is far superior to LH F and I think you would have a more enjoyable experience.

Secondly I would definitely choose OZ over LH on the ICN-FRA route.

Another option (assuming you don't get charged 110k for transitting in SE Asia) would be to fly CDG-BKK with TG in F. They have leased a 77W from jet airways with these suites in F.

My personal preference would be LX F>TG F (77W)>OZ F>TG F> LH F

Just some suggestions ^
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
How many segments can you have to reach a destination? I may need up to 5 for BNE-MEX in C.

BNE-BKK or SIN
BKK or SIN-ICN
ICN-LAX
LAX-PHX
PHX-MEX

OZ seems to be wide open for April 21 or 22 but nothing on SQ or BKK. NZ is only avalibale in Y and for once in my life I want to try C/J class since I got all those miles from the recent promos.

TG hasn't loaded flights at all past 23 March.

This will be an open jaw with return LAX-BNE.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by pogonation
Another option (assuming you don't get charged 110k for transitting in SE Asia) would be to fly CDG-BKK with TG in F. They have leased a 77W from jet airways with these suites in F.
Then you as well do TK F with the same suite. Better availability, especially for more pax + IST is a more interesting stopover.

Im travelling from OSL my self to ICN in june and to NRT in july. Same dates?
If so your on the guestlist at my birthdayparty at HR Tokyo july 9. I requested a suite good for partying;-)

Anyone else, just PM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.