Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TommyL
I'm sure this has been asked before...but I can't seem to find it. What happens if you for example need to change dates on an US award with *A partners, and in the mean time US has changed program to OW? Can it be done?
Once US leaves, they won't be able to book *A award inventory. However, OW inventory will be available for changes.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Anyone have any luck when US Airways claims to not see any availability for a LH flight?

United.com shows availability, Aeroplan shows availability, and EF shows availability for May 25th. US Airways shows zero zilch availability for that date (they see the flights but no seats) - they have dates available for May 21st and the 28th only.

Even worse because their availability with the connecting/feeder flights is just as spotty but on different dates. For the connecting flights, United/AP/EF show wide open availability.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think you have to assume no. once it's left the alliance then they won't be able to book alternative alliance flights. you could book on a oneworld flight though (for the whole ticket)
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Once US leaves, they won't be able to book *A award inventory. However, OW inventory will be available for changes.
Okay, i was afraid of that...thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:33 am

If availability was not an issue, would it within usdm/*A rules to fly to North Asia using AKL as a free stopover?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks to everyone so far for your answers and insight. I called LO again - English is definitely not their strong suit, but I got out of the agent this time that they are seeing a ticket number for my reservation, but she was confused by the reservation.

My overall trip is CLT-ORD-WAW-BUD; PRG-FRA-IAD-CLT. But when I log into either the LO or LH websites, the only segments that appear are ORD-WAW-BUD; PRG-FRA-IAD...so essentially, the UA flight on the front end, and the US flight on the back end aren't showing.

I feel like I've seen this type of thing before, so I wasn't particularly worried - but just wanted to solicit a few opinions here as well. It sounds like, from the LO agent, that the e-ticket is there for the whole trip, even though she was only seeing the middle segments (the LO/LH segments). So given that, I think I'm okay, but am I missing something?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I feel like I've seen this type of thing before, so I wasn't particularly worried - but just wanted to solicit a few opinions here as well. It sounds like, from the LO agent, that the e-ticket is there for the whole trip, even though she was only seeing the middle segments (the LO/LH segments). So given that, I think I'm okay, but am I missing something?
The only segments which need to show up are the segments operated by that carrier. As long as the US PNR has all segments and the operating carriers have their own, your reservation is fine.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
If availability was not an issue, would it within usdm/*A rules to fly to North Asia using AKL as a free stopover?
English please!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
The only segments which need to show up are the segments operated by that carrier. As long as the US PNR has all segments and the operating carriers have their own, your reservation is fine.
Great, thanks so much!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by glynot
I just found out about a schedule change on my outbound flight (now 1 hour later). It's not going to affect the rest of my itinerary, but any chance I can use that as an excuse to change my return leg without being charged a change fee? Am currently routing MEL-BKK-ICN-SFO on the way back, and was hoping to try BR via TPE.
I had something similar occur, and was told to drop the whole booking, refund the miles, and re-do it for no fee.

Which brings me to my issue:

BR to/from YVR won't show up in their systems or something. I've tried three different times, not a single agent could see the BR YVR-TPE flight despite wide-open availability according to the ANA tool. Does the ANA tool ever show phantom availability?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jamar
I had something similar occur, and was told to drop the whole booking, refund the miles, and re-do it for no fee.

Which brings me to my issue:

BR to/from YVR won't show up in their systems or something. I've tried three different times, not a single agent could see the BR YVR-TPE flight despite wide-open availability according to the ANA tool. Does the ANA tool ever show phantom availability?
US often has problems with flights that leave in the wee hours (like West Coast USA->TPE BR flights do).
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
English please!
He is asking if he can fly from USA to New Zealand to North Asia for the same miles as USA- North Asia
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
You might have a problem keeping it within 125% of MPM, given that at least one leg could need to be a Pacific routing. Also, you'd probably want to use someplace like HKG as your North Asia stop (someplace as far away from the USA as possible- NRT won't work for some parts of the USA, for instance).

It might work structured as USA-AKL(stop)-HKG(dest)-Europe-USA. The problem is going to be finding the Pacific USA-NZ availability. In theory, US should be charging you the South Pacific rate since you're stopping over in that region... but in practice they might not.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by turtleisland
Anyone have any luck when US Airways claims to not see any availability for a LH flight?

United.com shows availability, Aeroplan shows availability, and EF shows availability for May 25th. US Airways shows zero zilch availability for that date (they see the flights but no seats) - they have dates available for May 21st and the 28th only.

Even worse because their availability with the connecting/feeder flights is just as spotty but on different dates. For the connecting flights, United/AP/EF show wide open availability.
I was trying to book an intra-Europe LH connection on Monday. ANA and United both showed plenty of availability in economy and 2-3 flights in biz, but US saw nothing available all day long. LH availability seems to be spotty with US lately.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You might have a problem keeping it within 125% of MPM, given that at least one leg could need to be a Pacific routing. Also, you'd probably want to use someplace like HKG as your North Asia stop (someplace as far away from the USA as possible- NRT won't work for some parts of the USA, for instance).

It might work structured as USA-AKL(stop)-HKG(dest)-Europe-USA. The problem is going to be finding the Pacific USA-NZ availability. In theory, US should be charging you the South Pacific rate since you're stopping over in that region... but in practice they might not.
Oh hmm, thanks coward!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PHLisa
I was trying to book an intra-Europe LH connection on Monday. ANA and United both showed plenty of availability in economy and 2-3 flights in biz, but US saw nothing available all day long. LH availability seems to be spotty with US lately.
These dates are also not blacked according to http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...koutdates.html. I wonder what's going on here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.