Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who post here on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:33 am

Since I don't think I ever replied before...

I'm a 22 year old recent college grad that lives in DC. I work on Capitol Hill (read: long hours little pay) and fly mainly for pleasure. I first got SP 2 years ago and reached GP last year. I SHOULD make GP again for next year.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 10:57 am

Programs: US lowlife
I'm a 24 year old Network Engineer from Reading, PA (RDG) and currently working for a global infrastructure and outsourcing company located outside of Philadelphia.

My flying is all leisure, all out of my pocket. I used to fly a lot of E-saver ROC-PHL and cheapie ROC-PIT/PHL-RDG fares when I was living up in ROC for college (RIT). I qualified for SP back in December of 2003 with a SP challenge that US offered.

Since 2001 I've flown all US except for part of a MR. Some highlights include:

* PHL-LGW-PHL for $325, upgraded to Envoy via some FTers, qualified for SP in 2003.
* 6-segment UA/US BUF-IAD-PIT-BWI-PHL-IAD-BUF $110 all-in
* SYR-PIT-LAX-PHL-SYR $154 all-in (Landing in LAX they announced the "connecting flight information" with PHL - Loved the looks for a 10min stopover )
* Highest paid fare: $350 (ROC-ORF, 1 day advance Q fare)
* Lowest paid fare: $76.70 (PHL-PVD, $58 WN-matching T fare)

Qualified for SP in '03, '04, and have made SP for '05.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 3:24 pm

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Love this thread!!!! I have read all of the replies and there is quite a cross section here.
I am a Jersey Girl by birth, a Virginian by choice (30 yrs in Roanoke area) and now live, love and work in Heidelberg Germany for the last 2 yrs. I was in the manufacturing sector as an electronics purchaser until the market crashed. Decided to take advantage of life's lemons and make lemonade. Came to Germany to bicycle Europe and wound up staying, connecting with a great guy who was starting a small internet portal software company. We are writing a book together about cheap biking/camping in Europe (great research!). We are both computer Geeks and live on the 'ole PC when we aren't biking the EU. I discovered international flight and FF miles 3 years ago and am working towards those perks slowly. Envoy then FC? Maybe '05 I will hit SP? I am one of those DP's (Dirt Preferred) but I got my Signature Card now! (Flew to Rome for 15 Euro via Ryanair once!)
2 grown sons and a big Italian family cheering me on.
Heading to France July 20 to Besancon to see Lance Armstrong get closer to winning the Tour de France. Then on to Vienna…. All by bike!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:50 pm

ABE Loyalist, But GoFares Got Me to PHL

50ish Bankruptcy Attorney who moonlights as editor for three legal publications. Just back from SAN with my 21 year old son who took me below the border for tequilla. This trip drove to PHL since still no fare rationalization between ABE and PHL.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I'm a student flying almost entirely for leisure (trips home, to visit family, or vacation) most frequently out of WAS and BOS when I'm on US. Home for me is Fairfax, VA, about 20 minutes from downtown Washington, DC. I love everything about DCA, don't mind IAD, try to avoid BWI because the drive is just unbearable! I fly a lot on other carriers, and if I devoted most of my travel to just US, as I plan to do now, I think I can qualify for Gold. My AS MVP and HP Silver status will both expire this year, and I'm ok with that since I'll be flying almost exclusively US now.

I agree that this is a great thread. And I love FT; I've learned so much from this forum in particular.

And can someone explain to me what all this priority gold nonsense is about?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, CRC, HHS
College Professor, fly combined business/pleasure, I have most miles on DL but fly US when I can. Most frequent flights to ITO,TPA, ACV, and MSY.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
who I all am

Mid-50s, in a committed relationship, violist, part-time
editor and "intellectual jack-of-all-trades"; US newbie
traveling to see my girlfriend every couple weekends,
honest GP, fast-track CP. If you see someone with a
violin or viola case in F on US, it's someone else - I
keep an instrument at Carol's. If you see someone with
a violin or viola case in F on UA, chances are good it is
I (I'm BIS 1K the last 5 or 6 years). Hope to make it to
the Roachfest but may have a conflict.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 6:00 pm

who is iflyswa?

I generally am a lurker on this board, but I keep reading from www.iflyswa.com with all negative comments downing everything about US and praising SWA. I was interested to read something about him, but reviewing this thread, I didn't find him chiming in. Did I miss it? Could he be a paid SWA employe and not want us FF to know? After all his name takes you directly to SWA's website!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:24 am

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
This is an interesting thread. I lurk 4-5 times per week. Middle-aged, family guy, US Gold for about 5 years almost all leisure, but the 2-3 buisness trips for my medical continuing education are always on USAirways - to keep up the status. I have made milage runs 3 or 4 times just to keep up gold.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:20 pm

Programs: Now a lowly US PP
I'm in a Philly burb, married with a 7-year-old daughter, in my early (early for another 5 months) 30s. I'm in the publishing business: I produce a clinical contact lens journal and special projects for our optometry and ophthalmology journals. So I talk to a lot of eye doctors. Most of my flying is for business, although I am beginning to fly for vacations as well. Gotta get over the mindset of driving everywhere. When you were raised in the Poconos in the '70s, you went "down the shore" for vacations. Flying someplace for vacation is a concept!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
I retired early four years ago from law practice and have been travelin' since - perhaps a continuation of my public service days in diplomacy but this time on my own dime! Cruised a lot at first (Cunard Plat), but mostly fly these days. US is my airline of choice, although *A has broadened my range somewhat (collecting those Miles can get addictive ). Several annual trips to Asia also gets me NW Gold.

When I do weekend trips on US, I usually have another US CP and a non-elite friend or two along - we take our chances with upgrades. On longer trips, I usually travel alone to visit friends/family, or just to explore.

Relatively new to FT - lots of good, informed opinions here. I'm slowly getting into meeting other FTs - at Roachfest'04 and other FT "Do"s.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:19 pm

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Another from PHL

Great thread...

Relative Newbie - mostly focus on US, *wood, and Amex forums, but love all of FT. The only problem is that it is so good that I could spend 3 or 4 hours a day reading it all.....

From the handle, the homebase just outside PHL is obvious I guess. Will very unfortunately miss RoachFest due to....(drum roll)....travel !! Hope that someone will post extensive notes - and opinions. For someone who will be there - Please, tell them not to try to gradually turn into Southwest - its a sure path to failure !!! We enjoy the US product (mostly), have many 100,000s of US miles, and really are rooting for their survival.

Mid 50s, was in investment banking, M&A, and venture capital, now mostly a private investor, some corporate and not-for-profit boards, lots of odds and ends, and....travel.

Multi-year CP, Mrs PhillyFive also CP, both basically from 100% leisure travel, plus, of course, all the great tips we get here on FT. Three kids normally include one or more SP - even back when they were 10 or 15... We used to be mostly UA, but when US put its European hub here they won us over (we typically do 4 or 5 trips to Europe per year). Now we also use US for frequent Caribbean travel, as well as most in the USA. With *Alliance, our next Asia trip may have US benefits as well !!

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled thread....
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Welcome to HP Posters!

In honor of the merger and to welcome all of our new HP posters, I'm reviving this old thread.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by SS255
In honor of the merger and to welcome all of our new HP posters, I'm reviving this old thread.
Wow, have I been addicted to F/T that long?

My first thought when looking back over this thread is that alot of friends no longer post here. Wonder where they have gone?

I'll update my info while I'm here. I'm now the US sales manger for a major Canadian furniture company and traveling over 250 segments a year. One son is about to graduate from Ga. Tech and the second is a sophmore at UNC Tweetsie (ASU). Our daughter is a senior in high school which is making me feel very old.

I was once a loyal cockroach, but have spent most of my time on DL this year. When they started service in HKY it made it tough to not fly them. I have also spent most of my time the past year throwing rocks (and lipstick) at US management. Glad to see them go, but I do wish the employees and friends at the new US the best.

It will be interesting to see who the new folks are. Welcome to the US forum....

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Sep 27, 2005 at 8:09 pm
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: Free Agent
26 year old traffic engineer, living in south Florida. Most of my travel is on my own dime to visit friends or explore new places, and this year I'll qualify for Chairmans as part of the challenge (would have been a Gold otherwise). Have been known to jaunt across the country for a weekend. Fly out of PBI (West Palm Beach, Florida) or Fort Lauderdale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.