Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who post here on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 1:41 pm

27 yr old Talent Agent. Originally from PHL, and still go back as much as possible to see my family, and to try to import a wife. Been flying with Allegheny/US since my beginning. I still remember my 1st 737 flight on US, to PBI, row 1 faced backwards and shared a table with row 2.

When I went to GW undergrad I had an interview for an internship at the Crystal Palace with the department that does US Daily, and the daily internal news, etc. Unfortunately it was the morning after my 21st birthday and I was a little hung over.

Became a Silver when I moved to LA in 97, became Gold last year thanks to the bonus code thread, back to being Silver and NEVER receive any targeted bonuses.

[This message has been edited by phllax (edited 07-17-2003).]
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phllax:

and NEVER receive any targeted bonuses.

</font>
It must be an "LA" thing. I never receive targeted bonuses either. Or maybe the folks at the Crystal Palace just have a vendetta against people in the entertainment business. You'd think they'd want to encourage our business, considering how few people on the West Coast would even think to fly US.

Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:14 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
First off, and most importantly, to those who practice medicine who have posted, thank you for all you do. I can't imagine sitting in an airport while going on vacation or wherever and having to act as quickly and heroically as you do.

Second, it's nice to meet you all!

About me: I'm a 32 year old male from Pittsburgh. I've lived here almost all of my life, except for a little over two years that I lived in PHL (1995-1998). I used to travel to HSV for work all the time, and would purposefully fly PHL-DCA-CLT-HSV for the miles - WAY before I knew what a Cockroach was. I still fly for work, but I'm mainly for pleasure now. Most of my miles come from bonuses that I find here (thanks to all!) and from Sprint or the dining program. As for what I do, I'm a legal assistant for a large downtown Pittsburgh firm.

Have a great day and fly safe!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Just turned 30, been married for 5 years, have son who will turn 2 in September. Was living in St. Louis and working for TWA. Now an aviation consultant living outside of Washington, DC.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:30 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I post here, sometimes. Don't really know why anymore since I took the long walk off a short bridge and pretty much USAirways scum, the type that pays $1/mile to fly in a turboprop (maybe an RJ here and there) so status, schmatus. Northwest through the new Detroit terminal on big jets or nicer RJs looks better every day... at least in summer.

I'm a 26 y/o person who does whatever his big technology company tells him to do, with apparently very few limits (the 'woring' remark comes to mind). Currently working as a DoD contractor in a large software rollout. Travel seems to come and go, but is almost always short haul, sometimes driving distance, which is why I accumulate hotel elite memberships like candy but airline FF is harder and harder to come by.

PS As a DINK-3C (double income no kids - but 3 cats) I do odd things like fly across country for the weekend, but rarely further than that

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 07-21-2003).]
Old Jul 21, 2003, 5:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pitflyer:
As a DINK-3C (double income no kids - but 3 cats) I do odd things like fly across country for the weekend, but rarely further than that ]</font>
I am a DINK-2C, and I just flew RDU-CLT-DCA-PIT-ISP-PIT-CLT-RDU on Saturday for the day to ensure Chairmans through Feb, 2005. Thus, I am a WEINER, too.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Heh, Im a DINK, 3 cats also. Flew JFK-NRT 3 weekends ago (3 day weekend), LGA-CDG this (long weekend) and 3 LGA-LGW weekends coming up in August. Can you fly around the world in a weekend

[This message has been edited by GadgetFreak (edited 07-21-2003).]
Old Jul 18, 2004, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Bump

Seems to be a lot of newbies lately and since this thread is over a year old I thought they might enjoy seeing who post here and maybe post themselves.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jul 18, 2004 at 3:52 pm
Old Jul 18, 2004, 4:20 pm

Programs: US 3
Another DINK-3C Live in BOS.

Last edited by macska; Jul 18, 2004 at 4:23 pm
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:48 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
An veteran roach

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Seems to be a lot of newbies lately and since this thread is over a year old I thought they might enjoy seeing who post here and maybe post themselves.
Good thought, l4pi, especially with Roachfest right around the corner, this makes for a good introduction to who everyone is.

Since I'm not included, here we go...

I just became old (40), as my students think, this April. I'm a college professor teaching CS and Stats at a liberal arts college in Southern West Virginia. I also have a computer software and consulting business, even though I haven't been emphasizing it since my wife and I had a son over 3 years ago. My traveling life has gone down since then, too. I have still travelled enough to earn SP except the year after 9/11, where I became a nobody as I used miles to fly.

I started out as a roach when I got my Masters from SUNY Binghamton in '87 and moved to Raleigh to work at IBM as a contract programmer for 18 months and started a business. I traveled a bit for my business on weekends, and got good fares by planning ahead. In '88 is when the big triple mile wars started. I would get 18K for flying home for a weekend or holiday on PI via RDU-CLT-DAY-CAK and return. This became almost a "buy one get one free" (at a $98 fare) proposition as it was 20K for a free domestic RT. I learned how to 'roach it back then, as we call it now. In '91 I got back into education and took a teaching job here in Southern WV. I still traveled enough to earn status with US.

In the mid-90s, I started dating a gal from MSP. (Can you say rack up the miles?) I became Priority Gold fast, and then into Gold Plus for a year. The relationship fell through shortly after I received my Million Mile Flyer luggage tag (I doubt they still give these out). Then a couple months later, I met a gal from near Cleveland who was living in south Florida. We married about 8 months later, and she moved up here to WV with me. My major travelling also came to an abrupt end, except for trips to the left coast for computer shows. She's not a big traveller, so I sneak off to do crazy runs like I'm going to do this week just to keep in practice.

We have 1 rotten 3 1/2 year old boy, Tanner, who'll probably grow up to be another laptop-toting roach as he loves to travel with Daddy, 2 cute cats named Bailey (yes, named after my favorite after dinner addition to coffee as she's colored like it see yourself) and Gizmo, and a mutt named Mandy who is up for adoption. At least the cats and I have her out for the taking. Would anyone like her? I'll even deliver.

I'm looking forward to meeting others at RoachFest in a couple of weeks. I've got a couple of trips to SFO before that trip to PHL. It's been too long since I've flown as I don't do it as much as I once did, so it'll be good to get in the air again.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
In PHL

What a great thread--originated before my joining. I sat down and read every post over dinner. I know, I know: pathetic! I've always wondered what all these FFs do.

I'm a SWM, mid-30's, working as a senior administrator in a PK-12, independent, day school in the PHL area. Travel is about 20% business/conferences (next one is here in PHL...grrr... ); 20% educational (I'm a PhD candidate at the University of Pennsylvania) and 60% personal (primarily west coast and LGW/FCO). I've always lived in US territory, ALB, DCA and now PHL and have previously been Priority Gold Plus. My preferred status comes from long haul flights and all those associated miles.

I love US and FlyerTalk!
Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:34 pm

Med School Prof in PHL. I fly every other week, roughly. Bi-coastal ORD and Texas mostly
Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Mid 30's, Private Equity/Venture Capital for a big bank...
BOS is home.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:58 pm

Programs: usairways united delta marriott
one more

58yr old PhD in Bos employed in research administration--CP for last two years and will be again in 2005. Most travel is in the eastern half of the US with a few trips each year to west coast and two or more international flights usually London or Paris.

In the US my most frequent stops are lga, ord, clt, chs, cae, cwa, atm, sfo, sat.

Without the info I glean from Flyer talk I would fall short of CP--it is the ONLY website I check daily.

If U should go away I would probably move to UA.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:00 am

I'm Back

Cool Thread Guys,

I am a Sales Trainer with a Major Office Products Company. Begain career in the printing trades as a craftsman in 1972. Spent time with Xerox, both in operations and sales of outsourcing services. Paroled from Xerox after a 12 year sentence in 1992 after winning multiple Presidents Club Honors. Been Sales Training since May 1, 2000 and CP ever since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.