Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who post here on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2003, 7:38 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I'm mid 40's doing work for a British firm working with automotive suppliers (manufacturing plants). BS in Education, BS in Industrial Engineering and MBA in Operations from Wake Forest Univ. Did similar work for a Swiss firm two years ago and for a US firm 7 years ago. All jobs involved weekly travel, sometimes to multiple locations from my RDU based home. Mostly domestic, some international, but employer has recently cut back travel so my only highest level elite now is CP (8th year). Dropped from DL PM (last 3 years) to GM this year, and made AA Plat the hard way last year (7th year), although 2mm this month means I'm Plat for life as of this month. Bought my house in the flight path of RDU to make commuting less painful. Military brat upbringing, understanding wife and no kids makes it somewhat easier to be away from home. For the last couple years, I reward Mrs. Outoftown quarterly with a destination plucked from the honeymoon pages of the Sunday paper. January was Hawaii, next month the south of France, Costa Rica in September...I keep my ff and hotel accounts zeroed out. Most loyal to US, but I'm an equal opportunity roach fare flyer.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
I'm a 34 year old male in beautiful Charlotte, who sometimes finds time to practice law. Travel on US since we're the ol' fortress hub, and 90% of my travel is for pleasure. Made CP with GOM, and will at least keep GP this year.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SS255:
My father actually had a lifetime membership with the Eastern Club -- talk about bad investments!</font>
Why's it a bad investment? Delta honored, or is horning, Lifetime Ionosphere Club memberships with Lifetime Crown Room Club memberships.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
I'm a Systems Engineer for a Defense Company (armored vehicles - but not the M1 tank) ... I'm Hilton Diamond but am struggling to maintain Silver on US - many more nights than flights... US is officially a "preferred carrier" but we lost our corporate discount this year due to significantly reduced travel on US post 9/11. I usually fly UA (by choice) due to the fare differential and get US miles.</font>
I'm a Systems Engineer for a Defense Company (armored vehicles - yes, the M1A1/2/SEP). Live near BUF, work near DTW. My commute is a 5-hour drive Mon & Fri.

Spent most of the last three years on the road - LAX, DCA, BHM, London, Ont. Currently Hilton Diamond and US CP.

Got laid off last December, just started back in May. Not one segment this year so far, will probably fall to dirt in 2004.

Older than everybody else on this thread combined so let's leave it at that.

Only big trip this year is on BA - scored big time with DC, Jaguar, and Visa - two First Class R/Ts and several nights at the Paris Hilton. Looking forward to it, and then it's back to RJ's, if at all.

Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:24 pm

Programs: SWA
After spending 8 years with a document management software company, I am self employed, starting a new business from scratch. No more traveling on the company’s dime, just leisure travel now, so the drop from 3 years of GP to current SP will probably continue to DP (Dirt Preferred) next year. The Mrs. & I will be burning miles for the next two years, thanks to GOM.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:56 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Mid-twenties software programmer with an extremely flexible job that allows me to take last minute cheap fares to wherever. Like to travel to anywhere I haven't been before and sometimes take other people along. Made 7 trips to Europe and 1 to South America (UA codeshare) in the last three years, but only when it's relatively cheap. No substantial travel for work -- all of it on my own dime, so value is of great importance. SP last year, GP this year, and probably GP again this year depending on how much I fly this fall. It's always amusing for me to be the little guy with a hiking backpack that gets on the plane and goes up to sit in F.

Boyfriend is a laid-off employee of another airline, so he still gets the free flight privleges on that airline. If he loses that I'll probably convert him over to be a US FF so he can tag along with me and use my upgrades.

If they change the plans such that I don't enjoy it anymore, I can quit tomorrow and US won't be getting any more of my business, but I'm probably responsible for getting 5-7 additional people to fly US when they go places, some of which are full Y fares.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by outoftown:
January was Hawaii, next month the south of France, Costa Rica in September...</font>
when/where are you going to be in the south of france next month?

soon-to-be-mrs overpaidslacker and i are going to be in nice around july 18-19.

Old Jun 19, 2003, 5:37 am

Late 20s software engineer here, based in the UK. All my flying with US Airways is for personal holidays - about 6+ a year [k/h class so I can upgrade] to the USA or Canada. Joined Dividend miles in January last year after switching my allegiance from British Airways. Made GP by the summer and intend to keep status going forward as well - the preboard and checkin are great as are the Envoy upgrades and club access.

For customers based in the UK, US Airways definitely comes highly recomended as a transatlantic carrier and as a loyal Frequent Flyer I do all I can to promote them and their services to my fellow UK travellers.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 5:39 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, NWA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Technology guy in private practice -- mostly working with (largish) Mortgage Banking clients scattered here and there but a smattering of other sorts.

I did a weekly commute between MHT & PHL for about 3 years in the late '90s that introduced me to the wonders of CP status. The revenue that U got from that should have kept them out of ch11 but they managed to squander it somehow... Then I did runs out to SFO for 18 months -- but I managed those to fall into off-peak periods that tended to span weekends. Now I do a lot of varied trips with IND being my most frequent destination.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 3:30 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Director of Sales-(MidAtlantic) for a provider of real time financial information to trading floors. Can find me in DCA, CLT, PIT and BOS. Corporate headquarters in NYC so in and out of LGA often.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, MR Gold, HH Gold
As my user name implies, I fly out of GSO and/or CLT for Philips Electronics. I work for the Medical Systems division in the Clinical Education Department. I fly US: 1. Because it is convenient. 2. Because I like the service overall. I am at 75 segments, and 67,000 miles for this year, (Those are BIS miles, except for the carry-over from last year.)
Old Jun 19, 2003, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GSO4PHILIPS:
As my user name implies, I fly out of GSO and/or CLT for Philips Electronics. I work for the Medical Systems division in the Clinical Education Department. I fly US: 1. Because it is convenient. 2. Because I like the service overall. I am at 75 segments, and 67,000 miles for this year, (Those are BIS miles, except for the carry-over from last year.)</font>
Another work competitor of mine....WOW!!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 10:48 pm
Original Member

TV meteorologist in Greensboro. Also own consulting company that works with business and industry in developing hazardous weather plans for their operations as well as employee safety. Am CP and mix business travel with pleasure travel at about a 50/50 split. I really think US does a pretty good job.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Thirty-something IT professional with large global consulting company. Business automation, process integration, etc., mostly for Oil & Gas companies.

In PIT for 20 years, consulting and travelling for 10. I've managed to hit 43 states so far working for various clients, but it (too) often seems to be on the left coast.

13 years in US FF programs, averaging 95k butt-in-seat miles/year according to last check of lifetime miles.

Wife and a little girl, plus 2 cats and a number of fish that varies with the cats' ability to get to them.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 9:27 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Sales manager here. Flew a ton when I was Region Sales Mgr for Kraft Foods in Northern New England, but fly less now that I am sales manager for Hallmark Cards. (Thus my lowly US2 status these days.....)

Fly almost always out of PWM. Interestingly, I grew up in ROA where the old Piedmont planes used to land by the dozens every day. ROA was, for many decades, a PI hub (before the term hub existed) and I was fascinated by it all. I actually interned with PI as a campus sales rep while I attended Univ of Richmond (VA) and had pass priveleges! Those were the days!! What I wouldn't give to have the old PI back..........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.