Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
AT ORD yesterday, the guy in front of me won the RCC pass. Since he was with his wife, he couldn't use it.
I immediately offered him 4 on board drink certs for his pass. He said ^

We both won.

The UA employee stamped my boarding pass to allow me access to the club.

FYI, did you know that you could use the same boarding pass a couple of days later to get access to the club? Good thing due to UA delays.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Last week, my husband and I were flying to SFO. There was no line at the wheel and I spun and received E+. I was a bit disappointed because I wasn't going to use it because I wanted to sit with my husband. But then he spun and hit E+ too. So we were able to change both of hour seats. So we were happy UA flyers for the day. Only wish was that our flights were longer.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA PP
Got an activity booklet (was trying for the playing cards) but on the way back through LAX got the playing cards. They were really fair with awarding the prizes - I spun and got E+ but since I'm already a 1P she recognized I had that benefit already and gave choices for other prizes.

The first time around they took the time to explain all the options but the second time around they were rushing people through and leaving it to the reading material to explain the other options.

By the way the 1st sudoku in the activity book was wrong (there are 2 of the same # in one box of 9).

One of my friends through LAX on the 6th got the water but he lost it post In 'n Out burger run while going through security screening.

While waiting in line I saw a guy score the RCC membership he was ecstatic! Saw someone get E+ as well and they were extremely happy too.

I didn't see the wheel in San Francisco. Where was that one?

The only restriction to participating in the promotion was that you have to be 18+. A gentleman was trying to use his son's boarding pass to spin for his son who was in a baby carriage and the promotional staff said no. Then subsequently asked if I was over the age of 18 *rolls eyes*.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: United 1K|SPG Plat
They were out of playing cards at ORD today and yesterday.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC E, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA basic
Duration of promotion?

Does anyone know how long the wheels will remain at the airports? I wish to try another spin for an RCC pass.

At ORD on Jun 13, I spun a bottled water, though I had the choice of exchanging that for the games book or the deck of playing cards.

Returning on Jun 14, I spun an Economy Plus upgrade, but I was already op-upgraded to E+. Hmph. Wouldn't it be nice to get a domestic F-upgrade. They let me choose one of the three lesser options instead (water/book/cards).

I chose the playing cards both times. ^

Note that there is a 2nd (non-wheel) desk in ORD, where they give free water anyway, in exchange for listening to a 45-second spiel on Opt.

Last edited by snarkleupagus; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm Reason: fixing typo
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:27 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I spun the wheel for my first time at LAX last Saturday. I am a 1K, was already ticketed for 11D (exit row on ex-Ted), and have a RCC membership. My spin was for a pass to use the Premier Line. The gal saw my ticket and said " I think you would like this bottle of water".
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Pres Circle
I have spun twice at Ohare..... I now have Opt playing cards, and a puzzle book. But, 2 of the puzzles are unsolvable. The very first puzzle has the same digit twice in one box. And another puzzle (I think its #9, but I'd have to double check when i get home) has the same digit twice in a single row. Plus, 2 of the solutions are duplicates (which is incorrect).

I know they're looking to save money - So, maybe they can get some money back from whoever designed those puzzle books???

Also- if E+ isn't available on your flight - they give you an address to write in to, and request that you send your boarding pass. I'm not sure what they do for you then, but thats their "plan".

I'll keep spinning every week when I'm at Ohare on Mondays, and will keep you all posted.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:46 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
AT ORD yesterday, the guy in front of me won the RCC pass. Since he was with his wife, he couldn't use it.
I immediately offered him 4 on board drink certs for his pass. He said ^

We both won.

The UA employee stamped my boarding pass to allow me access to the club.

FYI, did you know that you could use the same boarding pass a couple of days later to get access to the club? Good thing due to UA delays.
So many things wrong with this...

1) They are not supposed to be UA employees, rather a subcontractors interns.
2) UA promo items are not to be bartered, yet the company that is manning the wheel is allowing you to barter with his/her blessing?
3) the RCC matron should look at the freaking date. Maybe you could use this BP forever. Kinda undermines the actual selling of a product if when you give away a single use teaser, you let that teaser be used again and again. Not gonna sell to many that way!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:46 pm

Random giveaways at C17 in ORD...

Scanned back a few pages and didn't see a thread on this--I have no idea how long it's been going on, so feel free to merge the thread if one already exists. Spin a wheel, get a prize--bottled water, deck of cards, Economy Plus (on one flight, I assume), RCC admission (again, I assume one)...I got economy plus but it was of no use to me since I'm already an elite so I took the cards instead! (Too bad I couldn't get them to give me another RCC pass instead, as I can always use those.)

Had a very pleasant flight NYC->ORD despite being in coach; the flight attendant had a genuinely cheerful, friendly air that brightened the atmosphere. I noticed she took orders and delivered drinks individually instead of rolling a cart (and this was on an Airbus A319, not a puddlejumper)...is this new?

Last edited by wanderingtheearth; Jul 3, 2009 at 4:51 pm Reason: Typo...
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Look at this thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...romotions.html
Old Jul 3, 2009, 4:53 pm

Thanks. If a mod wants to merge, go ahead...this one is in C, rather than the one in B previously reported.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by wanderingtheearth
Thanks. If a mod wants to merge, go ahead...this one is in C, rather than the one in B previously reported.
The one in C had been there too long, basically everyone know about it, doesn't worth to report.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Today I spun the wheel and won the RCC pass. Whoo-hoo!!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: UA
No more wheel at C17?

I just landed in Chicago and made my usual rounds: F11 to the E3-C9 shuttle, spin the wheel at C17, then walk to B whatever. To my dismay, the wheel was gone! What gives? Anyone know where it went?

Hopefully it's just a maintenance delay and not a cancellation.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

It was there Friday evening... got a pack of playing cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.