Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by stupenal
I actually think the spin the wheel is a good idea to give general pax a taste of E+. On several trips recently, I've heard people say to themselves "what's the difference between E+ and E- except the different colored seats???"

I think if they got a taste for E+, they would be more willing to shell out the $40 or so for that additional leg room, because it's really one of those things that once you experience, it's tough to go back
Totally Agree! Great idea.

Back when AA had something like E+ for 100% of their seats, AA was all I flew, then they took it away.

Does anyone know if this is for their flight that day? Or for a future flight? It will be good marketing if its for a future flight, so they have to use the Free E+ or Priority pass next time.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
Originally Posted by laginibre
Spun the wheel at ORD last Thursday. Landed on Economy+, which I already had. The attendant gave me a flyer, told me to register on the web site (united.com/fallpromo) and I could get a voucher for 10% off a future flight. The flyer reads "if you won Economy Plus for today's flight but no Economy Plus seat is available, please visit united.com/fallpromo for an alternative prize". The flight was booked solid so it is possible that no E+ was available anyway. I registered on the the web site and mailed in my boarding pass; curious to see if I'll get an e-certificate for 10% off on another flight.
Reporting back.

Got an e-mail today "Here is your Travel Options airport booth alternate prize".
They are giving an e-cert good for 10% off on a future qualifying round-trip.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I received a deck of cards at DEN two weeks ago. I landed on E+, so was given a choice of water or playing cards. Nice to see UA playing cards again...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I received a deck of cards at DEN two weeks ago. I landed on E+, so was given a choice of water or playing cards. Nice to see UA playing cards again...
Everytime I've played, I've ended up with a deck of cards since I didn't need E+ or access to the premier line.

Had I known I could have gotten 10 percent off. . . .
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:20 am

Programs: DL-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond
I spun it in DEN on Oct 2, and hit E+. When he saw I was a 2P, he just told me to keep spinning until I hit something I don't have. So 5 E+ spins later (He said the record for hitting E+ as a 2P or greater was 7) I finally got the game book.

Also, it looks like the errors that people found earlier in the game book have been fixed as I was able to solve most of them with no problem (still working my way through).

On my return trip through DEN on Oct 5 it was closed down
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The wheel is now set up in SEA... does that make SEA a hub?
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:01 pm

There are now wheels at PDX and MCO... there are probably others...
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by United737522
I played at PDX last week. I have to say I enjoyed myself spinning the wheel! I won a free bottle of water! Sadly, there was nothing on the wheel I didn't already have, but it was still fun!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by SFOisHome
I played at PDX last week. I have to say I enjoyed myself spinning the wheel! I won a free bottle of water! Sadly, there was nothing on the wheel I didn't already have, but it was still fun!
Twice I've had people spin and win RCC in front of me. The one thing I could use on there... grrr.... The game books aren't half bad.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by United737522
FWIW, when I saw it at PDX about a week and a half ago, there was a sign stating that the wheel had limited hours from Thursday to Sunday.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
FWIW, when I saw it at PDX about a week and a half ago, there was a sign stating that the wheel had limited hours from Thursday to Sunday.
I flew through PDX 6 times last week and I only had one opportunity to play!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
First time I saw the wheel was last week at ORD. Had 4 hours to kill (missed my first flight and then had a long layover in ORD). Spun and got E+, they asked for my boarding pass, saw it said 1K and said "do you want a bottle of water or a deck of cards". Took the water cause I was thirsty. They did not really explain anything to me (or even talk to me), I think they were bored. But it saved me $3.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA, IHG
At ORD this Sunday, the wheel was set up in front of the main CS counter around the B gates. (Around B9, I believe.)

Unfortunately, the hours posted were only 10am-6pm, so I missed it being open on both of my transfers that day.

Had some nice "sparkly" light action going on too. Never noticed that when the wheel was set up over in C. Probably annoys the heck out of the people working at Starbucks across the way, though.

Also, from the "Early?" ads for it on the departure monitors, it seems that a 20% off e-cert is a potential prize now too. Didn't look at the wheel itself to make sure though.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 9:50 pm

Was at ORD on Sunday with a friend. He won a 20% off cert, I won a candy cane.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
First time I saw the wheel was last week at ORD. Had 4 hours to kill (missed my first flight and then had a long layover in ORD). Spun and got E+, they asked for my boarding pass, saw it said 1K and said "do you want a bottle of water or a deck of cards". Took the water cause I was thirsty. They did not really explain anything to me (or even talk to me), I think they were bored. But it saved me $3.
My experience also in a recent visit to ORD when I got watered thanks to the game. Meh, it killed a few seconds in a 4 hour layover...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.