Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by grlittle
Thanks, but where do you get the water?
The wheel is after security; they have stacks of water bottles, they just hand you one.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Perhaps for the 1Ks, RCC members, etc. they should offer Award Accelerator for that day's flight if you land on a benefit you are already entitled to?!?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Woohoo! I also won today around lunch. Apparently "every spin's a winner!" I won E+ access, but the intern kindly observed that I already have that because I'm 1P. Was offered my choice of the swag, and picked the cards. And I really could have used the RCC today, too.

The LAX wheel has many more E+ spaces than does the ORD wheel in juholt2's photo. There was only 1 RCC space, but the cards, water, game book, premier line and E+ seemed to be there in about equal numbers (compared with only 1 E+ space on the ORD wheel).

The LAX wheel is by the customer service center near gate 78, across from the RCC. Alas, no blondes.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
the "Opt" wheel game, at LAX

Flying through LAX today, saw some sort of promo where anyone can spin a wheel to win either E+, Zone 1, RCC, (just one time of course) a bottel of water, or a deck of Playing cards. It was drawing quite a crowd, I spun E+, but "opted" for the deck of pretty nice UA playing cards instead since I already have E+.

How long has this thing been there, I think its a pretty good publicity tool. I suggest another wheel for elites, with a free award acellerator, and luggage delivery severice instead of E+ and Zone 1.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I saw it set up (but roped off) in LAX yesterday (2 June). You must have been among the first to play!
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Best PR UA has since the 80's. It's fun and real! I played twice. Thanks United. Only flaw it's playin in person to current customers. Online perhaps they can draw a few new....
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coplatua1k
....Only flaw it's playin in person to current customers. Online perhaps they can draw a few new....
Try http://united.promo.eprize.com/difference/
Discussion http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-winners.html
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I was transiting through ORD this evening, had a 2 hour layover, so I went to the one at C17, lined up behind a bunch of people taking the wheel for a spin! As soon as I was at the front of the lineup for my spin, two unhappy RCC pass winners along with a union steward came to the stand, they were refused entry to the RCC, and the union steward (from the RCC) told the poor guy running the spin to win not to send any more "winners" to the RCC! Why should I be surprised? Anyways, he had to call his supervisor while I waited, the two RCC pass "winners" left rather disappointed/disgusted. So why should they give away these options if UA staff is unwilling to allow people to redeem them? Obviously it backfired on UA tonight.

Anyways, I took a spin, and got an upgrade to economy plus exit row for my upcoming flight to BUF , I liked moving up a couple of rows without having to spend the $$, that after having to suffer in the very rearmost row on the incoming flight from MSP. Wish I was going on a longer flight where I could have enjoyed it more! Ah well, as a general member, I can't expect much! With more upcoming air travel, perhaps I should pursue 3P or 2P so I don't have to play games to fly a bit more comfortably!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
won a deck of cards on my spin today at lax
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:06 pm

I suppose it's possible that the RCC was already at capacity?

What difference did it make that she/he was a union steward? I think they are elected by their members to that position. The ones that have helped me have always been very good at SFO.

So when you win an RCC pass, you have to use it on that trip? Isn't it just a regular one day RCC pass? What about your E+ upgrade? Did you have to apply it to an itinerary on the spot?

-David
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Is there a wheel in DEN?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:01 pm

Since I had a few minutes to kill, I tried it a couple of days ago. I won Premier Line, so I asked to have a bottle of water instead.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
I too spun the wheel at LAX earlier this week and won a deck of cards.

One request to the United folks who read this board - given that exit rows are reserved for elites even on day of departure, is it possible to limit the ability of non-elites who win E+ for a flight to move into an exit row. I heard a number of people in the exit row on a recent flight bragging that they won it through spinning.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: United 'Cattle Car', American, JetBlue Airways, Marriott Rewards 'Gold', Amtrak AGR 'Select'
Originally Posted by goalie
won a deck of cards on my spin today at lax
Goalie, my goal is to do exactly what you did, win some playing cards. I will be at the 'Wheel of United Fortune' straight-up 12noon this Saturday. Wish me some luck...^ Joe G
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Is there a wheel in DEN?
Nope, not yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.