Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Spin-The-Wheel Setup at Certain Airports to Promote Travel Options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Maybe they should modify the first elite choice for 1ks to include a free spin of the wheel.
I'll gladly trade an elite choice for a spin. I could use a bottled water because the real luck of the draw seems to be whether the FAs would come by with refills on a regular basis.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:37 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
There are 24 place markers on the wheel. They break down as follows:

7 - Economy Plus
4 - Premier line
4 - Bottled water
4 - Playing cards
4 - Game book
1 - Red Carpet Club

I'll be passing through LAX on the 4th and will take it for a spin. I don't need any of the stuff but if I win a RCC pass or E+ hopefully it is a paper voucher as it will make for good trading fodder in Coupon Connection.
Interestingly it seems Bottled Water, Playing Cards & a Game Book are rated as better than E+
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Omnivore
Interestingly it seems Bottled Water, Playing Cards & a Game Book are rated as better than E+
Actually, if you value bottled water, playing cards, and the game book equally, and obviously all three of those are valued less than E+, then the probability of getting one of the three lesser valued items is higher than that of getting E+.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:58 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by TA
seems like this could backfire to a person who already didn't like UA. Sending the message "stuff that you would expect to get with normal airline service is now a roll of the dice."

actually, yeah, I think the whole wheel of fortune thing is not a great idea... Is it ever a good image to project for a company?
As I have commented in other threads... UA's marketing and client relations efforts of late are textbook cases of FAIL.

Having said that, I still want to spin the wheel.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Originally Posted by TA
seems like this could backfire to a person who already didn't like UA. Sending the message "stuff that you would expect to get with normal airline service is now a roll of the dice."
Actually, very few of these things would you get with a "normal" airline. Not E+, haven't gotten any trading cards anywhere in years, no club access, no premier boarding. The only "lose" spin is a bottle of water and is better than a $2.50 bottle of h20 at a gate stand. Dunno what a "game book" is.

Odds are 29% you will get E+, and just over 50% you will get something of some decent value: E+, RCC, or Premier line. A promotion clearly targeted at the occasional flyer who will win a chance to try out for free some items that usually cost 30-60 bucks? I think it's a pretty sweet deal for a flyer with no status.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Two pages in and no one has grumbled that this will devalue their elite E+ experience: that open middle next to you is now being given away to some schlub who spun the wheel. Perhaps you can use the deck you won to play cards with him.

I'll be through LAX on the 3rd so I'll check it out. No worries, though, as I'm flying out on an RJ, so no E+ to be given away on the wheel.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Omnivore
I don't know about "better", but assuming E+ isn't completely sold out on a flight (reasonable assumption for most flights IME) the incremental cost to UA of giving out an E+ seat is 0$. So giving better odds of winning the E+ seat reduces the cost of the promotion.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not so negative... it might be just a co-pay
Now that's funny ...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by futureacnp
I'll be at LAX on 6/3. Will report then.
and i'll report back on 6/2 (and see you at iad on 6/3 )

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I saw this yesterday coming off a flight from IAD. The only prize that would be of benefit to me would be the RCC one (which I'm asuming is a day pass). However, it looks like there's only one chance of winning that in a spin. Oh well, CA water tastes like %@&#, so maybe the water prize isn't so bad.
where in iad is it located as i'll be there 6/3
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The wheel at ORD is supposed to be up today. Anyone know where yet?
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1P, Delta GM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
<snip>Oh well, CA water tastes like %@&#, so maybe the water prize isn't so bad.
Water in Southern California tastes horrible. Important distinction to make.

Back OT...I'd imagine there will be some long lines for this, despite the lack of appeal to the more frequent travelers that make up the FT population.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:57 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I agree, it's kind of a fun concept.

But I think with airlines, people like to have the image of consistency, over a random turn of the wheel. No matter how much of a bonus you're getting, spinning a wheel goes with very few corporate images.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I believe it was previously posted that it's by the CS center in the B concourse.

How long does the promotion run? I'll be flying through LAX and ORD on 6/4 and more next week...
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
WHQ makes plenty of displeasing decisions, but I definitely don't count the Travel Options campaign as one of them. In fact, the revenue that program derives is critically important to supporting my 1K benefits. E+ can continue to exist because people pay for it. Separate Premium Security can continue to be supported (and expanded) at airports because people pay for it. RCCs are available (however unimpressive many are) for me at no cost on international itineraries because many people pay for memberships and/or one-day passes.

Looking at domestic carriers over the last five years, it actually seems to me that United is doing a better job of offering useful/attractive service upgrades for reasonable prices than other airlines. The more revenue UA can extract out of the infrequent travelers that represent a major share of their ticket sales (by count, not revenue), the better the airline will do.

Rough math tells me that if United can extract $20 from one out of every eight passengers, that will generate $160M. If they can make that one in six passengers, the number jumps by $70M. AA proved that you can’t increase revenue by offering the extra legroom for free (MRTC), because they were never able to increase their ticket prices to compensate.

I’d say WHQ has found one glimmer of hope in an otherwise dreary operation.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I saw the wheel setup at the gate across from the C RCC on Friday. It was not in play, but just sitting empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.