Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Single class aircraft upgrade denied

I'm still trying to figure out how on the same itinerary I was “upgrade denied” on a CRJ-200, but no issue with the leg on an EMB-120 with .bomb trying to upgrade me.
Old May 11, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Ok so sadly this is my first trip after UDU .

On SFO-IAD on 5/13 FLT 198 when I log into my account and look at seating details I have one line for Flight confirmed UG pending and a second line Flight waitlist UG denied.

KVS Shows F and A at 9 and NF0, I know I may not clear, but what does UG Denied mean, do I need to call in?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 11, 2010 at 11:41 am Reason: moved from UDU tracking thread; more topical here
Old May 11, 2010, 11:36 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rkaradi
Ok so sadly this is my first trip after UDU .

On SFO-IAD on 5/13 FLT 198 when I log into my account and look at seating details I have one line for Flight confirmed UG pending and a second line Flight waitlist UG denied.

KVS Shows F and A at 9 and NF0, I know I may not clear, but what does UG Denied mean, do I need to call in?
In the same situation, but I did get some clarification from 1K desk. Was told yesterday that it "just" means you're still waitlisted despite the word "denied". The morning I did OLCI for the flight tomorrow (UA 916) & the checkin screen showed "waitlisted" & the BP says something like "go to the desk (podium?) for possible upgrade & seat assignment". Dummy booking still shows F4, but only windows, including the dreaded 1D (at least on a 757).

Last edited by BH62; May 11, 2010 at 11:37 am Reason: correct syntax
Old May 11, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by BH62
In the same situation, but I did get some clarification from 1K desk. Was told yesterday that it "just" means you're still waitlisted despite the word "denied". The morning I did OLCI for the flight tomorrow (UA 916) & the checkin screen showed "waitlisted" & the BP says something like "go to the desk (podium?) for possible upgrade & seat assignment". Dummy booking still shows F4, but only windows, including the dreaded 1D (at least on a 757).
Thanks, good luck w/ your UG even though it's a window.

I've been watching my trip like a hawk sine the 100 hour window opened Sunday night, and I just hate this waiting....
Old May 11, 2010, 1:15 pm

Had this show up on my itns from last weekend MR on the ORD-IND flight segment.
(30+/- minutes, no big deal).
Went to GA to inquire, and was put on upgrade list (#2).
First "checked in full" and so I took my assigned seat.
GA came on the plane and upgraded three of us to the still empty F seats
before the door closed.
Lesson: If I see this again, I'll request a "review" by the nearest RCC staff or
just call to get put on the upgrade list.
Old May 11, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1P
+1 for the "denied" not meaning much. My "denied" turned into a confirmed upgrade 5 hours before my flight (via Easy Update) yesterday morning.

I already did OLCI so had to get my seat assignment and new BP at the ticket counter.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
My flght TPA-ORD on 5/12 was listed as denied. Called the 1K desk and they said that it was a "glitch" and I was still waitlisted. My upgrade cleared about the 36hr point. Not sure if the 1k desk reapplied my upgrade request.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Both segments of yesterday's LAX-BOS-SFO went to Waitlisted/Denied late on Friday after having been just Waitlisted. The "Denied" messages were a first for me. Called 1K; agent was familiar with the bug and assured me I was still waitlisted.

First segment cleared 8 hours out (and 58 names were left on upgrade list at gate!). Second cleared at gate. Pleasant surprises on both counts given cheapo L fares, high loads, and multiple GS pax. ^
Old May 13, 2010, 10:27 am

So I'm travelling tonight, since Sunday all my segments changed from upgrade pending to "denied" did OLCI this AM and they now say again waitlist. Go figure.

No I just have to sweat out a battlefield UG on SFO-IAD F and A = 2 and IAD-SJU tomorrow = 9 (don't know why this has not cleared). I'm hopeful thus UDU thing works for me, but man I hate watiting.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
flight 162 lax-bos this saturday 1/15

• sponsored cr1 applied 20 hours before udu 100 hour window opened for me as a 1k
  • itin showed waitlisted as it should
  • checked this morning at 7:30am-still waitlisted
  • checked at 9am this morning (shortly after 48 hour window opened)-upgrade denied
  • called
  • u/g did not clear as there was a conflict between the cr1 and the udu request not being removed.
  • agent removed the udu request
  • u/g now shows waitlist

hoping i didn't lose my spot on the list when the u/g "attempted to clear" but couldn't due to the cr1/udu conflict
Old May 13, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by goalie

• sponsored cr1 applied 20 hours before udu 100 hour window opened for me as a 1k
  • checked at 9am this morning (shortly after 48 hour window opened)-upgrade denied
  • called
  • u/g did not clear as there was a conflict between the cr1 and the udu request not being removed.
  • u/g now shows waitlist

hoping i didn't lose my spot on the list when the u/g "attempted to clear" but couldn't due to the cr1/udu conflict
What relevance does the opening of the 48 hour window have to a 1K? Do you think you would have cleared the waitlist had the CR-1/UDU been properly applied?
Old May 13, 2010, 11:50 am

My upgrade on DEN-YVR on Friday was denied at 100hr mark.
I called 1K desk and the agent said I was on the waitlist with good opportunity.
I logged into .bomb at 48 hr, the upgrade status was still denied, but I was able to select a seat in F and the upgrade status turned confirmed.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by work2fly
Originally Posted by goalie

• called
  • u/g now shows waitlist

What relevance does the opening of the 48 hour window have to a 1K? Do you think you would have cleared the waitlist had the CR-1/UDU been properly applied?
nothing at all-just using it as a data point along the udu window of "if it clears, thew windows are....." as i have had u/g's (prior to udu) waitlist and clear at the "hourly window". might not have been the 100 hour 1k window but they did clear at 72, 48 and 24 hours like clockwork so like i said, just a data point on the udu timeline
Old May 13, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Haha i have an upgrade listed as "denied" for a leg next week. However, my seat is 2C, and the cabin is "first." So.... I don't think it's denied.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Haha i have an upgrade listed as "denied" for a leg next week. However, my seat is 2C, and the cabin is "first." So.... I don't think it's denied.
Perhaps UA has moved the F cabin to the rear of the aircraft. I guess E+ starts at row 1! Here come the TED days!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.