Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P

So I'm flying SFO to OGG UAL 0035 Jan 6.

Booked a few days ago and requested an upgrade right away and was put on the waitlist as shown online.

Now today I take a look at it and it says "Upgrade Denied"

I looked and there are about 14 seats available for purchase in First Class, so I called MP Customer service and they said I'm still on the waitlist ???

I've seen the other threads about this issue but there doesn't seem to be any answer yet... Anyone have any insight?

The woman at UAL customer service actually told me that "Upgrade Denied" and "Waitlisted" means the same thing. I asked do you see how that does not make ANY sense at all and she said yes. I said ok thank you very much for your help, goodbye.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jhruth
The woman at UAL customer service actually told me that "Upgrade Denied" and "Waitlisted" means the same thing.
How creative of them.

14 seats for sale means nothing. There could be 60 people on the waitlist for all you know. I've actually had good luck asking and getting exact numbers on the waitlist recently, too.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How creative of them.

14 seats for sale means nothing. There could be 60 people on the waitlist for all you know. I've actually had good luck asking and getting exact numbers on the waitlist recently, too.
On a Tuesday flight to Hawaii in the rainy season ??? Can't be 60 people on the list, don't dash my hopes & dreams of actually being able to use UAL miles from something useful !!!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
don't dash my hopes & dreams of actually being able to use UAL miles from something useful
Good luck!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
"Upgrade Denied" has been mentioned here before. Speculation was that the waitlist was full (past UA's ability to append to it, or a certain number past the available seats?). But that seems odd if you were already on the waitlist.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What instrument were you using to upgrade?

Just guessing here, but is it possible that it changed to "Upgrade Denied" when your upgrade window passed? (72 hours for P1)
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
"Upgrade denied" can also be found as follows:

1. You buy a C class international fare for a trip such as ORD-SFO-NRT, and are booked in C on the international leg SFO-NRT and A (first) on the connecting domestic ORD-SFO leg.

2. You apply an SWU to the entire trip, and succeed in getting NF on the international leg. The domestic leg comes back "upgrade denied," since you cannot upgrade an A fare -- it's already in confirmed F.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:51 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
There is a limit to how many can be on the wait list, and within the upgrade windows it is possible that 1Ks could have moved onto the list ahead of the OP (who is 1P) reaching that number and pushing the OP to "denied".
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daze
There is a limit to how many can be on the wait list, and within the upgrade windows it is possible that 1Ks could have moved onto the list ahead of the OP (who is 1P) reaching that number and pushing the OP to "denied".
I could see that but why would there still be 15 seats available for sale in First Class if they're confirming people with higher status into First ? Can't 1K's etc confirm and pick upgraded seats within 2 days? The flight is Tuesday, today is Sunday....
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
What instrument were you using to upgrade?

Just guessing here, but is it possible that it changed to "Upgrade Denied" when your upgrade window passed? (72 hours for P1)
I picked 500 mile certs for one leg and just regular old miles for the return leg...

I printed the original itinerary that shows me on the wait list, called twice and they said I'm still on the wait list, and I've been a P1 for a while and have never had that issue happen before... Of course I've been denied AT the airport but never 2 days before the flight with so many seats still for sale...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:00 pm

why would there still be 15 seats available for sale in First Class
How do you know there are 15 seats for sale? By looking online, you can only tell if there are 9 or more (F9). Seat maps cannot be used because there are always people with no seat assignment.

Can't 1K's etc confirm and pick upgraded seats within 2 days?
"Confirmable" upgrades (a very loose term these days) can clear at any time. 1K e-500 upgrades move from pending to either waitlisted or cleared at 100 hours. 1P e-500 upgrades move at 72 hours.

called twice and they said I'm still on the wait list
Then you shouldn't worry about what united.com says. It's often wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Yea I guess the whole thing is pretty much a crap shoot huh...

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How do you know there are 15 seats for sale? By looking online, you can only tell if there are 9 or more (F9). Seat maps cannot be used because there are always people with no seat assignment.

"Confirmable" upgrades (a very loose term these days) can clear at any time. 1K e-500 upgrades move from pending to either waitlisted or cleared at 100 hours. 1P e-500 upgrades move at 72 hours.

Then you shouldn't worry about what united.com says. It's often wrong.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:12 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I could see that but why would there still be 15 seats available for sale in First Class if they're confirming people with higher status into First ? Can't 1K's etc confirm and pick upgraded seats within 2 days? The flight is Tuesday, today is Sunday....
1Ks are often upgraded only at the gate.

It is cold, if not freezing, at many parts of the world and the U.S. now. Many are heading to somewhere warmer.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:59 am
Original Poster

So after all that I get an email from Expedia of all people saying there's been a change to my itinerary and I'm now in first class. So I go to UAL and pick out two new first class seats !

Aloha !

EDIT:

ALSO - Status still says "Upgrade: Denied" But now I have seats in row 4 on a 777 !
Old Jan 5, 2009, 10:05 am

I'm now in first class.
Sweet! I hope our upcoming flights to/from Hawaii clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.