Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA: Gold UA: 1K
On the morning of my most recent IAD->SAN flight it said "Upgrade Denied" online. Security at IAD was a nightmare and when I arrived at the gate boarding had already started. I happened to notice that my name wasn't on the upgrade list anymore, so I casually asked the GA "Did you call [my name]?" She said "Sure did, here you go," and I got my upgraded ticket for 1B.

So yes, "Upgrade Denied" clearly means nothing.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by BobFarmer
On the morning of my most recent IAD->SAN flight it said "Upgrade Denied" online. Security at IAD was a nightmare and when I arrived at the gate boarding had already started. I happened to notice that my name wasn't on the upgrade list anymore, so I casually asked the GA "Did you call [my name]?" She said "Sure did, here you go," and I got my upgraded ticket for 1B.

So yes, "Upgrade Denied" clearly means nothing.
bolding mine: depends who you ask.....in some cases, "denied" does mean still waitlisted and it's the udu issue rearing it's ugly head (happened to me with a confirmable instrument applied) and it's always best to call asap as soon as you see denied (even if it's on one's way tot he airport the day of flight)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
How's this for a combination of .dreck silliness and IM silliness?

1K, 777, domestic flight.. 48 hours out...

* "Upgrade denied"
* C9 D9 Z9 J9 NC0
* Only 7 seats occupied on the seat map

C'mon, really UA, it would kill you to confirm some 1K upgrades?
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
I'm getting the "denied" message on my upcoming flight, and when I go to select seats, it's showing the E+ cabin. So in my case, "Denied' may actually mean "denied"? Flight is F0 A0 Y7.

So, followup (yes, nearly a month later

I checked in, with .bunk saying Denied all the way. Got to the airport, same deal. Ended up at the gate and checked the boards, it said 8 of 8 had cleared. My name was on the list, so I walked up and got handed a BP for 5F on the domestic 77.

Not the greatest flight but better than sitting in steerage.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
Upgrade denied

Has any of you received the following message? I did not clear the upgrade 72 hours prior to the flight but now I get this error:

Chicago, IL (ORD) San Juan, PR (SJU)
Flight Depart Arrive Cabin Seats
United 0568
ORD 08:50 AM
Thu, Oct 21, 2010 SJU 02:32 PM
Thu, Oct 21, 2010
First (NF) Flight: Waitlisted
Upgrade: Denied N/A
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
I don't see in your profile any CO or UA status (*g level). Without it UDU isn't going to happen. If you do have status you'll need to call.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
I am prem ex with United and Plat with continental.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by chgodude
Chicago, IL (ORD) San Juan, PR (SJU)
Is a US Territory eligible for UDU? I would hope so.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I had this happen with one of my itineraries; I was told that despite it showing I still appeared on the waitlist. I think its a glitch or some sort of indication in the UA system that the original window for the upgrade passed and no upgrade was processed, however that doesn't mean you aren't eligible for the upgrade.

Did you have a Mileage Plus or OnePass number in the PNR?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Delta Platinum; United 1P
Same issue

My red eye tomorrow night from LAX to IAD also has "upgrade: Denied". I phoned into the call center, and was told I was in fact still waitlisted, and the .bomb was using new terminology? She wouldn't elaborate on what the eff that meant, but I am hoping I am still on the list.

Side bar - I'll be 1K after this flight! WOO HOO!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Has anyone ever had their "Upgrade: Denied" ever switch to "Upgrade: Confirmed" on .bomb?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Ua.com shows upgrade denied. Are you still on the waitlist?

In one of my upcoming flights on United, I was waitlisted for Y to C upgrade when the ticket was cut. Later the status changed to "Upgrade: Denied". At that time, it showed 0 for all booking classes. Now a couple of seats in both F and Y cabins become available (F3, C3... Y6...). So I called 1K line to check if I am still on the waitlist. The answer given was yes. Is this true? The status shown on the website remains the same (denied) though.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: United 1K; Hotels.com
Last year, I went from upgrade pending to waitlisted to denied and then actually got the upgrade at the gate. I've only ever seen denied that one time. So, the only time my UG status showed as denied, I got the upgrade. Go figure!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: UAmm, Hyatt Plat,Marriott Gold, AA EXP
I had the exact same thing happen to me as well. Found out I had the upgrade by calling United.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:25 pm

UDU denied because of through flight?

This is a slightly different case than others here, so I hope I picked the right thread.

I'm a 1P flying LAX - PDX this Friday on UA6904. It's a 1-stop connection through SEA with a plane change - CR7 on the first leg and EM2 on the second.

UDU was "pending" until the 72 hour mark (today), and then it changed to "denied". Both CSRs I've spoken with say it's not possible to upgrade the first leg because both have the same flight number and the second leg has no F cabin. I've asked them to split the flights, but both said it wasn't possible.

Is there anything else I can / should try at this point?

Is it impossible to upgrade one leg of a 'through flight' when the other leg has no F cabin?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.