Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by CThomp79
Called 1K voice and determined that the "Denied" is just a bug, upgrade is still indeed confirmed.
This is still happening, although without any apparent pattern.

Our SFO-YVR flight cleared right at the 100-hr window. The return did not clear at 100 hours, but subsequently cleared overnight somewhere between 48-72 hours out.

No EasyUpdate message was sent, and it was only during my periodic logins that I noticed we were now listed as NF (but with "upgrade=DENIED" listed as well). I was able to assign seats in First, so I assume the bug is persisting.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: Won Kay
... does "Upgrade: Denied" mean?

I've had an upgrade request in for the last month (using miles) for an IAD-LAX trip next week. The return leg cleared on booking, and up until today the inbound showed "waitlisted". Now it shows "denied".

What kind of idiot uses that term? Is F now booked full? Denying an upgrade is not the same as not clearing IMHO.

If you denied me an upgrade, why?

Thanks UA. Another shining example of your CS incompetence.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 19, 2010 at 5:46 pm Reason: moved from UDU tracking thread; more topical here
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roadkit
I've had an upgrade request in for the last month (using miles) for an IAD-LAX trip next week. The return leg cleared on booking, and up until today the inbound showed "waitlisted". Now it shows "denied".

What kind of idiot uses that term? Is F now booked full? Denying an upgrade is not the same as not clearing IMHO.

If you denied me an upgrade, why?...
a quick search shows a number of threads on "Upgrade: Denied", such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ale-first.html
or a search on this thread shows the issue has been raised 8 previous times -- appears to be a bug
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Still happening apparently. I am flying r/t SFO-BOS. Outbound cleared about 10 days ago and return was showing Waitlisted/Pending. Now it's showing Denied......
Have you flown this trip? What was the final outcome?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sweet! I hope our upcoming flights to/from Hawaii clear.
My last Hawaiian flight (HNL-LAX, 767) had 18 open seats at F at check-in and left with open seats in F. If that's any indication, you should be fine.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: United 1K
Checked my flight for Wednesday, April 21, and is says Upgrade Denied! There are still a lot of seats. This better be a oversold flight where I can get a voucher.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
a quick search shows a number of threads on "Upgrade: Denied", such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ale-first.html
or a search on this thread shows the issue has been raised 8 previous times -- appears to be a bug

Thanks for the link, but I actually did a search for "upgrade denied" and all I got were hits for the word "upgrade". Normally a search in parens only returmns the complete phrase or word group. I wasn't interested in paging through each thread in the hopes I might stumble across something of relevance.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:33 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
"Upgrade: Denied"

Just noticed a weird thing with an itinerary for the day after tomorrow.

At 100 hours out, my UDU for the segment went from "Upgrade: Pending" to "Upgrade: Waitlisted", and it added a segment for the NF waitlist, listed as "Flight: Waitlisted" and "Upgrade: Waitlisted". So far, normal enough.

I just checked the itinerary again, and the (waitlisted) NF segment is now listed as "Flight: Waitlisted" and "Upgrade" Denied". That happened between 100 hours (when the segment said "Upgrade: Waitlisted) and now, 2 days before the flight. Huh? Am I on the upgrade waitlist or not?

The flight currently has 2 F seats for sale. I'm a 1K flying on a Y fare. (YPASP1). The return segment on the same itinerary and same classes cleared into NF with a UDU with no problem.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
another reference report...

Monday PM flight IAD to DEN. UDU showing as waitlisted when I checked in on-line 24 hours out. Got to the airport and the kiosk (checking a bag...always reprint documents) said I needed to talk to an agent. Probably good, I think. Agent says your upgrade cleared but you don't have any e500s (!), but another agent straightened her out and I was, indeed, upgraded. When I checked the itinerary later for the return flight, it showed the outbound as "Upgrade Denied." I do understand that later actions don't necessarily get updated on the web site, but I thought this was slightly bizarre.

Regardless. 2 for 6 under UDU as a 1P flying hub to hub which is as good as I would have done before (I'm tracking pseudo-e500s to see whether I do better or worse under UDU in the long run...got to remember not to be disappointed everytime I don't clear since I wasn't trying to upgrade every flight before).
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: United 1K 0.2MM, USAIR Gold 0.35MM, CONT Silver 0.4MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
IAD-SFO Seat Re-assignment

Is UAL having a computer issue?
I'm Premier-Exec and two weeks ago confirmed an economy plus aisle seat (B), last night I printed my boarding pass for my seat in economy plus (B).
When I got to the gate they were already boarding and was told I was now in an E seat (middle row of 5).
Also, according to the gate monitor it looked like I wasn't even on the upgrade list, AND my name was on the standby confirmed list.

Computer error or gate agent error?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by cowisland
Is UAL having a computer issue?
I'm Premier-Exec and two weeks ago confirmed an economy plus aisle seat (B), last night I printed my boarding pass for my seat in economy plus (B).
When I got to the gate they were already boarding and was told I was now in an E seat (middle row of 5).
Also, according to the gate monitor it looked like I wasn't even on the upgrade list, AND my name was on the standby confirmed list.

Computer error or gate agent error?
Welcome to FT, cowisland. Was there a change of aircraft?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA1K 0.71+Lifetime ,DL,Hyatt Diamond,SPG,HH
I am on flt #1 ORD-HNL for Wed. The itinerary went from pending to waitlisted to upgrade denied. However, I have a first class upgrade confirmation e-mail and selected my first class seat. Go figure!
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UApsgr
I am on flt #1 ORD-HNL for Wed. The itinerary went from pending to waitlisted to upgrade denied. However, I have a first class upgrade confirmation e-mail and selected my first class seat. Go figure!
Mrs. Forgetfu and I had e500 upgrade requested tickets for a couple weeks ago (booked before UDU announce). Both went to upgrade denied due to lack of e500's in my account, yet both flights cleared w/ UDU.

I'm guessing it has something to do w/ the type of upgrade requested.

I booked a ticket last week that wants E500's to upgrade. Clearly, that's an error. After a call to the 1k desk, it now shows that i'm pending for UDU upgrades. Seems like some systems are still running some e500 code.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:55 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The recent, frequent appearance of "upgrade denied" for UDUs which don't clear, has to be a website glitch -- or enhancement . I saw this label for the first time 4/18 on one of my records, for a flight on 4/22 when there was still F6 availability and the 1K desk said I was very much on the waitlist.

Also saw it later on 4/18 for a flight for 4/20 which I didn't call about. When I checked the 4/20 flight today the "..denied" language was replaced by the usual standard extra entry for waitlisted upgrades.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
LAX - BOS tomorow's flight. Noticed yesterday I went from "Waitlist" to "Denied." However, my 16D exit row seat was not there anymore. Clicked on "Seats" and it took me to First Class seat map and I was able to get 1B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.