Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 11:26 am

Not to worry about "denied"

Caution, the following post is a bit long-winded, but for anyone who has a question about the "denied upgrade" situation, it will answer pretty much most of your questions.
I don't fly much domestic, but this weekend I do a MIA trip. Booked three weeks ago and immediately in my itinerary page, one column with the booked details showed up with another one just beneath saying that the upgrade is pending. At around the 100 hrs window, all the secondary columns for the flight to MIA showed the message "waitlisted". About two days ago, that message changed to "denied, n/s". OK, I was cool with that, I had row 6. I had time to waste, so I called the 1K line, ended up in the Philippines, I think, and the agent told me that"denied" meant nothing and I was already upgraded on one leg. I double checked my itinerary, yet nothing showed as upgraded. Yesterday morning I received an EasyUpdate : "Your upgrade on the following flight has been confirmed". When I looked at the itinerary again, it still shows denied, but it asks me to choose seats. Clicking on the seat prompt brings up the FC seatmap. So, on two legs I am indeed upgraded, yet it still shows "denied". Even more interesting or confusing ( your choice ) is the fact that one return leg was upgraded as well, but that one already shows "upgraded".
No complaints from me, I am happy with the new UA UDU system. Maybe they have a software problem. But it's good when a "NO" can mean a "YES"
Old May 18, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I checked my upgrade today on .bomb at it said "Denied" but it already had me upgraded into first on the flight. I called the 1K reservation and he said it is a glitch, they have been getting calls about it and have reported it as a problem.

Last edited by usadan; May 18, 2010 at 11:04 am Reason: clarification
Old May 21, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by usadan
I checked my upgrade today on .bomb at it said "Denied" but it already had me upgraded into first on the flight. I called the 1K reservation and he said it is a glitch, they have been getting calls about it and have reported it as a problem.
+1

I am going on a MR tomorrow. My first flight, DEN-SFO, went from pending to wait-listed and then denied. When I woke up this morning, I had a text from the UA Easy Update system telling me that my upgrade cleared. However, .bomb still says it was denied, even though I already checked-in, and selected my F seats.....what a weird website!
Old May 22, 2010, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Angry

well I have cleared every flight on automatic upgrades... till the NEW denied glitch came last week. So my recoord of 16 upgrades was now ruined.
I called 1k line chatted with them then went to India and had a useless conversation with them.
My flight from SJU-ORD on the way home has not cleared and until they fix the "Denied" i doubt it will

when is this problem going to be fixed?
Old May 22, 2010, 7:58 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Me Too )-:

Flying PHX>SFO>YVR tomorrow. SFO>YVR cleared. PHX>SFO shows as "denied" but according to the 1K folks, I am still #1 on the waitlist & there is 1 F class seat still open, so, we'll see what happens*

The 1st flight is a 319 & when it comes to catching an upgrade on 319 I am less then hopefully*^

*But I do have 6C so either way I should be comfortable
^If of course a seat does become available in F & it's in row 1 on the C,D side, DON'T TAKE THE UPGRADE cause I am moving to a MUCH worse seat!!!
Old May 22, 2010, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1k,Marriott LT PLT, Hilton Diamond /HYATT Plat, Hertz Pres, National Exec
Denied a bug

I have had 3 flights show up as denied with them all going thru as upgrades to First. You would think they could fix this bug fairly quickly.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Donlongco
I have had 3 flights show up as denied with them all going thru as upgrades to First. You would think they could fix this bug fairly quickly.
They will probably get it fixed sometime in 2012.

Anyway this message is really misleading. I have had it now twice already.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
I'm getting the "denied" message on my upcoming flight, and when I go to select seats, it's showing the E+ cabin. So in my case, "Denied' may actually mean "denied"? Flight is F0 A0 Y7.

I called the 1K line.

"Hi, I'm calling about my flight next week, it says my upgrade is denied?"
"Yeah, you're on the waitlist."
"Well, I know that I'm on the waitlist, and I was just checking it again, and instead of saying 'waitlisted' it says 'denied.'
"Well, it's all booked up in First Class."
"Okay, can I at least find out where I am on the waitlist?"
"We wouldn't know that information."
"Thank you."
"Yes, thanks for"CLICK.

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; May 24, 2010 at 3:48 am
Old May 24, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have an upgrade denied notation on a segment of one of my flights that is on UX and is an economy only plane.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by easykristine
I have an upgrade denied notation on a segment of one of my flights that is on UX and is an economy only plane.
Seems like they're on safe ground there...
Old May 24, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by easykristine
A CRJ or EMB? Reason I ask is .bomb likes to deny me on CRJ-200's, but has no problems with the EMB-120.
Old May 30, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Going MRY-SFO-SLC next week. After the SFO-SLC upgrade on the CR7 cleared, the MRY-SFO (EM2) went to Upgrade: Denied. Today it became Pending. I canceled the "request," logged out, and logged back in. Now it shows Denied again.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by usadan
+1
Got the Easy Update message at 100 hr, .bomb showed upgrade confirmed, allowed me to select a seat in F...2 days later its upgrade denied, but F seat still assigned...
Old May 31, 2010, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
on my last 4 segments its upgrade denied but they cleared... I have talked to the 1k desk and they say they are getting this fixed... I asked when they said they dont know but with the calls coming in they hope SOON>
Old May 31, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
what does this mean?

Flight info+ Flight details
Washington, DC (IAD) Denver, CO (DEN)
Flight Depart Arrive Cabin Seats
United 0971
IAD 06:00 AM
Wed, Jun 2, 2010 DEN 07:49 AM
Wed, Jun 2, 2010
Economy (L) Flight: Confirmed 11C
Washington, DC (IAD) Denver, CO (DEN)
Flight Depart Arrive Cabin Seats
United 0971
IAD 06:00 AM
Wed, Jun 2, 2010 DEN 07:49 AM
Wed, Jun 2, 2010
First (NF) Flight: Waitlisted
Upgrade: Denied N/A
Select seat(s)

When i try to select seats i get the e plus seat i already have. i think the upgrade denied n/a means it has not been denied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.