Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Upgrade Waitlisted" to "Upgrade Denied" - What Does This Mean?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2010, 6:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by iquitos
what does this mean?
Upgrade: Denied N/A
It appears best to ignore the "Upgrade: Denied" statement
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks for this. I just had my first instance of Upgrade : Denied. Half of the 12 F seats on my Wednesday DEN-SFO flight are open, and the Coach cabin looks fairly light. Hard to believe there would be that many 1K's and GSs ahead of me on the upgrade list. I'll try to be calm about my chances.

I may try to hop an earlier flight anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:03 pm

My upgrade attempt (e500 because I'm a 3P) was also denied unceremoniously. Now 0 for 5 with upgrades in the last two months; I am starting to get the hint...
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Thanks for this. I just had my first instance of Upgrade : Denied. Half of the 12 F seats on my Wednesday DEN-SFO flight are open, and the Coach cabin looks fairly light. Hard to believe there would be that many 1K's and GSs ahead of me on the upgrade list. I'll try to be calm about my chances.
Originally Posted by dc_traveler
My upgrade attempt (e500 because I'm a 3P) was also denied unceremoniously. Now 0 for 5 with upgrades in the last two months; I am starting to get the hint...
As this thread indicates, the Denied message appears to be a technical glitch and has no relation to ultimate upgrade availability. It often appears once the segment is waitlisted within the advance elite upgrade window. It even appears for one-class flights for which no upgrade was even requested!

"Denied" does not equal "Failed". Even while waitlisted and "Denied", one's upgrade can still clear anytime up until departure. If you think about it logically, no one has a crystal ball that could definitively say in advance that the C or F cabin will be completely full and upgraders will be shut out. Even if a cabin is "sold out" there are always cancellations, changes, and no-shows. You're never truly "denied" until you're buckled into your Y seat and the plane pushes back from the gate. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Two weeks ago, when I checked my itin on .crap, the outbound flight - which was upgraded 120 hours out - had "Upgrade: Denied" followed by 1A.

Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Two weeks ago, when I checked my itin on .crap, the outbound flight - which was upgraded 120 hours out - had "Upgrade: Denied" followed by 1A.

.crap

lol!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dc_traveler
Probably would not have been much better pre-UDU, especially if your are doung mainline aircraft ex-WAS (or other hubs).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

.crap

lol!
but he is 100% correct* and to our esteemed moderator, how dare they deny your u/g?

*along with other terms of endearment such as .drek, .merde, .kakah and .poop
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That's kind of what I'm hoping myself... I have an itin IAD-ORD-DCA; ORD-DCA cleared on a A320 just outside the 100 hour window, whereas IAD-ORD on a domestic 763 went to "waitlisted" and now "denied" despite also still being F9 A9 etc. (and the F seat map being wide open). I actually figured the 763 would be the easier of the two to clear given time of day and # of F seats. We'll see. (Yes, the 320 clearing is already in the tracking tool.)
Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:26 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
FYI...I just cleared my upgrade 24 hours out after being shown as "denied" yesterday.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Had my first "upgrade denied" occurence a couple of weeks ago for a ORD-SFO flight (on a 757). When I got to the gate, the screen showed:
  • 39 pending upgrades
  • 2 FC seats available (changed to 1 just before boarding started)
  • Me: #3 on the list

Needless to say, my upgrade was truly denied.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
A lttle variation on the theme

Booked international flight (SEA-SYD, etc) on May 29 (W fare + SWU). Initially got the upgrade pending. Then, about 100-120 hrs out, both overseas legs cleared to NC & the domestic return (LAX-SEA) cleared as an NF. This left the initial leg (SEA-SFO) in pending/waitlisted until yesterday when it changed to "Denied". I took this as a sign that something good just might happen. And so it did: this am it said Cabin: First(NF), Flight: Confirmed, Upgrade: Denied, but all references to the originally confirmed E+ seat were missing. So, clicked on Choose Seats, F cabin popped out & selected 1B. Itinerary still says "Upgrade: Denied, Seat 01B. Huh? Surely someone at UA reads these threads & isn't it about time to deal with "Denied", or are they in denial?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
I've had this happen twice now. The first, at the beginning of May, was for a UDU ORD-SFO at 6 or 7am on a Saturday morning. When boarding began, I was #6 on the upgrade list with only one seat available. Needless to say, I didn't get the upgrade.

The second time was on Monday, on a 757 from SFO to ORD at 1:50pm. I was using an SWU as part of a trip from ICN-SFO-ORD. Before I boarded at ICN, 1st on the SFO-ORD segment showed less than half full, and the ticketing agent told me I was first on the list. When I asked at the RCC in SFO, the agent there handed me an upgraded boarding pass.

So, I have no idea what standard they use for that...
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
My waitlisted request went to "denied" last night at about 80 hours before the flight. I called 1K this morning, and the agent opened up an upgraded seat and assigned it to me.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:25 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by hooterbif
My waitlisted request went to "denied" last night at about 80 hours before the flight. I called 1K this morning, and the agent opened up an upgraded seat and assigned it to me.
That's one way to take care of the problem. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.