Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:24 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I read this as they were combining into a single phone bank handling both international and domestic.
But RSSRNotInIndia said the domestic desk was being phased out "perhaps to India!"
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by nnn
But RSSRNotInIndia said the domestic desk was being phased out "perhaps to India!"
perhaps as in it isn't clear whether its replaced or being combined, etc. I would not jump to presume they're sending 1Ks off-shore just yet (and yes along with everyone else I am hoping they're not b/c there will absolutely be some major backlash if they did)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Does the Million Mile status show when you pull up a PNR or input a MP#
I believe that it must because I am regularly thanked for being a 1K MM flyer during my calls.
Whether it does any good is a separate matter, altogether!

Dave
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Wonderful thread and many thanks RSSRNotInIndia , also a huge piece of luck that you are one of 10% or less of UA agents who would be able to answer these questions - imagine if we were asking someone at the ICC, ha ha.

We're aware of the backslapping and self-congratulation among UA management for the ostensible savings of the offshore CCs, but what the figures don't show is how many premium pax are driven away by an encounter with the ICC. We just don't have time for those 45-minute calls (some unsuccessful) that you would correctly process in 5 minutes. Personally I stopped flying UA when the SYD call centre closed and Allan and Sam were fired, and our calls rerouted to Manila.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia
Thanks for the welcome, everyone : ).
Thanks for being here! ^
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks very much from a soon to be 1K.

My question is... What can I do to make your job easier and more enjoyable?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Thank you RSSRNotInIndia!

My question: What personal information can a CSR see? Is my address visible? Is my birthday visible? Passport number? etc.

I worry about United having too much of my information.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 9:29 am

Location: 5 min. from ITH, 1:20 from SYR, but will drive for E+
Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by harryhv
We're aware of the backslapping and self-congratulation among UA management for the ostensible savings of the offshore CCs, but what the figures don't show is how many premium pax are driven away by an encounter with the ICC. We just don't have time for those 45-minute calls (some unsuccessful) that you would correctly process in 5 minutes. Personally I stopped flying UA when the SYD call centre closed and Allan and Sam were fired, and our calls rerouted to Manila.
I don't have an MBA so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the ICC can save money even given the reduced labor costs. Last night my wife called the ICC to make a fairly simple reservation and apply credit from a canceled flight. An hour and a half later -- seriously -- she was still on the line. I called the 1K line and in literally 2 minutes the agent processed the entire transaction. I'm not exaggerating the times involved here.

Maybe the bulk of calls to India get processed quickly, but I find that hard to believe given the routine nature of this transaction and the incredible snarl caused by simple things, like having to spell phonetically the name of our city ("I as in India, T as in Tango," etc.) which any U.S.-based agent would have recognized instantly, and having to give airport codes to enable the agent to find Austin and DFW. Sanjay/Sam Adams was nice, and trying his hardest, but the comparison with the 1K desk was truly astonishing.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:52 am

Great thread! I learned a lot. Thanks again!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MarkXS
I think the agents who do this do so to prevent customers from being transferred to the survey.
I can think of no other reason, oddly though I've had a couple of calls that were quick, simple and handled to my satisfaction where they didn't hangup which seemed odd.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
I can think of no other reason, oddly though I've had a couple of calls that were quick, simple and handled to my satisfaction where they didn't hangup which seemed odd.
One other reason I can think of:
It gives them a short pause between calls.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
The Damn Hertz!?

OK here's a question have you EVER had anyone say YES to the stupid Hertz question?! It annoys the crap out of me, especially when it happens on ridiculous situations. Case in point: calling to change a seat assignment day before travel....hmm gee ya, you know I just now realized that I needed a car in TPE so I can die I know its not your fault and they are supposed to ask, but I wish there was a way to put in the profile something so they never asked that, if I need or want a car my travel dept would book it for me just like my flight.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:30 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by UpstateNY
I don't have an MBA so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how the ICC can save money even given the reduced labor costs. Last night my wife called the ICC to make a fairly simple reservation and apply credit from a canceled flight. An hour and a half later -- seriously -- she was still on the line. I called the 1K line and in literally 2 minutes the agent processed the entire transaction. I'm not exaggerating the times involved here.
I not sure what the pay is for the US v.s. ICC URA agents but MTV had a program called True Life on off shore jobs. The American guy feature had lost his job he was making about $10 an hour to an ICC. The company could hire 15 ICC employees for 1 US employee and not have all the extra cost of heath care, etc...

Someone also asked about why the agent doesn't hang up. I know that when I used to work for a CC (it was in banking) the next call would come in right away unless you took yourself off line which would lower your stats of how long you were logged onto your phone for the day. So if you wait for the customer to hang up it just looks like you just had a longer then average call.

Also I would like to add my thanks to RSSRNotInIndia for taking the time to answer questions.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Talking

Just want to say this is one of the greatest threads ever - I was so disappointed when I got to the end (cause there wasn't any more for me to read!) Thank you so much for your time RSSRNotInIndia! ^ ^ ^
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:50 pm

Regarding 1K Domestic...
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I read this as they were combining into a single phone bank handling both international and domestic.
That's correct -- the dedicated domestic 1K desks are gradually being integrated into the international desks.

FYI, word was our 1K Consumer Relations desk (DTW) was at a meeting the other day so calls were routed to Inda (like GM calls!)

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Why do you wait for us to hang up after a call instead of you hanging up when it is obvious that the call is over?
In some locations, releasing a call use to be a terminable offense -- and that included calls in which in was obvious somebody left their cell phone on (often after hearing flight arrival/departure information). Once the post-call survey was introduced, this policy was reversed... but hey, if you've been doing something for 20 years... and no, agents aren't blocking you from participating in the survey -- at this point, we really don't care as the feedback does not come back to us (just stays for internal use... although we hear that this may change soon).

Originally Posted by soitgoes
One other reason I can think of:
It gives them a short pause between calls.
Which is usually the reason I delay hanging up. When you hang up, the next call comes through IMMEDIATELY (unless we're slow). We're required to meet certain stats, and taking ourselves out of auto-in will mess them up. We're also allowed so much time (averages about 20-40 seconds, depending on product) for after call work -- which is another reason I keep people on the line. Every time we call somebody back, it eats up our after call time (can be changed only in certain circumstances, with supervisor approval).

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
When you are on hold waiting for the SD can you also hear the caller?
No, we hear Rhapsody in Blue.

Originally Posted by snic
Have you ever successfully ticketed a customer's award travel on a non-star alliance partner, such as Emirates or Qatar Airways?
Yes, we send a request to the OA for these rewards... and it's usually responded to immediately. I do these awards very infrequently - but they're usually successful, especially EK.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Does the Million Mile status show when you pull up a PNR or input a MP#, and if so, does it hold any weight (above regular 1P, if no longer 1K) for asking for something, i.e., request for inventory to open something up, etc?
Actually yes, the banner will read "100,000 MILER MILLION MILLER." I'm sure that some agents/SD may give extra weight to a Million Miler, but no, there's no official policy to do so. 1K and GS will always be treated "better" (in terms of waivers/favors) since that's the policy.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
My question: What personal information can a CSR see?
Just your name, address, phone number(s), e-mail address and CC (if stored). The MP screen will display your EQM/S, banked miles, last four flights & upgrades. All of this information is required during routine calls -- so not like it's "too much information." Better to have it stored then spending 45 minutes asking somebody with a thick accent to keep repeating themselves. If you're just calling with a simple request, I - and most other agents - pretty much ignore it.

Originally Posted by ryan182
OK here's a question have you EVER had anyone say YES to the stupid Hertz question?! It annoys the crap out of me, especially when it happens on ridiculous situations.
Actually, yes. Some people call just to ask to be transfered to Hertz . For the record, I **hate** asking it but will be marked down if I don't. 'I'm sorry UA canceled your flight and now you're driving home. Would you like me to transfer you to Hertz?' And Hertz is BIG. We have more Hertz crap around the office than United these days..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.