Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Just a line to tank for being here, RSSRNotInIndia...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! My question for you is about doing searches for award seats on *A partners for international flights. I've had calls where it takes quite some time for the agent to search through multiple route and carrier options and a few where the agent told me they didn't see any availability on any routing/carrier combination within just a minute or two. The speed with which they tell me there isn't anything has made me suspect that they didn't really search very many options. But maybe I'm misunderstanding how these searches work? Why might I get an answer once in one minute and another time in 10 minutes? Should I not be suspicious of the quick "no" to award seat availability?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: United 1K/MM (since 2003), Marriott Platinum
Another thank you for offering your experience and expertise in the forum. We really do appreciate the insight
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:17 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
this is so cool ^^^ as we have "ask the f/a", "ask the pilot", a "sort of (not officially tilted) ask the g/a" and now "ask the reservations agent" ^^^

other than welcome and thanks for your offer ^^^, my simple question is how do i get a tootsie-pop to you? (i did send a whole bag to hnl agent once )

tho let me add just one word of caution-please be careful what & how you post as you wouldn't want big brother to come back bite you .

other than that, thank you again and i look forward to your on going words of wisdom

Last edited by goalie; Jul 21, 2008 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:34 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Many thanks for this thread! ^

Everytime we call we are told that our calls "may be monitored or recorded...blah blah blah". My question is: Are they REALLY monitored? If so, how many actually get re-played and examined? Is there a certain percentage that every agent has monitored? Are there random reviews, or something like that?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody!!!!!

Originally Posted by tmm1012
...question about PNR notes...are these notes that you're referring to specific to each PNR? How about general notes in the pax's MP account?
PNR notes are specific to the PNR -- it's just whatever an agent decides to write, as well as any advisements you've been given. The offshore call centers seem to document EVERY call. Documentation can be useful if you're insisting a supervisor was offering a waiver but the call cut out... and she documented that you were denied and hung up in frustration. Our consumer care & MP departments, which are other branches of reservations, have notes on passengers. We don't see these, just what's been written about your calls (or experiences at the airport!)

Originally Posted by wilp888
When there is a schedule change, is there a rule about how much time is involved before one can request a different flight?
90-minutes. This can be (rare) discretionary, depending on your circumstance & the agent(s) you speak with.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I have one question. I believe other airlines (Jet Blue?) have gone to home based agents....Is that something your guys want? UA looking into it or planning anything like that?
UA's talked about this for years... I think it may eventually happen but there's a lot of variables being discussed - e.g. you must live within so many miles/minutes of a call center, you will need a dedicated room - free from sounds like a baby crying or dark barking, UA will reserve the right to check on you any time during your shift. I'd prefer it, simply because of gas prices, but I'm not sure I want UA coming into my home.

Originally Posted by mudba
Can you shed some light on trying to find good *A awards and the startnet blocking that takes place? How hard is it to do a manual sell? When are you allowed to do it?
Actually I did discuss the blocking in another thread ; ). Given how that thread turned out, I think I've written enough : ). Really no tricks to finding award availability... just be flexible and try to book as far out as possible so you can call often and see if your preferred flights become available. And we're generally not suppose to do manual sells -- it's mostly used for creating pseudo flights (which are used, more-or-less, to keep a PNR active for internal use... like refunds, etc... also for LH upgrade requests) although there are some (rare) circumstances we'll do it for revenue flights.

Originally Posted by goodo
My question is would it be reasonable to ask the agent to request IM open up an award seat?
If you're a 1K/GS, we may be able to. Otherwise, keep checking ; ).

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
...how long is the training for RAs? Do lower status members ie like me , get less experienced agents?
Training use to last for six weeks. Our most recent classes spent about 10 weeks in training. You have to remember that this job requires a wealth of information, and it's not always very easy to find. It can take awhile (a year or more) before an agent becomes comfortable -- and even then there will always be questions that they cannot answer without assistance! And everyone starts by taking calls from the general lines before moving onto other products... so yes, elites get more experienced agents (although some haven't worked here much longer than 6-months initially!)[/quote]

I always wondered about the upgrade waitlist info, as 9 out of 10 agents will say no they cant see the list, but then once in a blue moon you might get lucky and be given the info. Why do UA not wish you to give this out if we indicate that we understand it can change based on w/l priority, 1K windows etc?
We can see it, but UA's asked us not to give it out. They claim doing so is a disservice to the passenger and company -- they don't want passengers thinking they will or will not be upgraded and then the contrary happening, and they probably don't wish to answer questions on 'why wasn't I upgraded ... I was #1 with 30 open seats.' I also think they're concerned about the loss of revenue -- e.g. if I'm not going to be upgraded SFO-NRT, I'll buy the ticket -- but on SQ (which actually happened to me onetime!)

Are there any plans to bring the call centre work back to the USA for all elites, not just 1K and 1Ps?
No, I think UA is very happy with their offshore call centers from a cost-performance standpoint (they do everything by the book, etc.) I believe some 1K domestic calls are being sent offshore actually.

Originally Posted by greggoak2
My question for you is about doing searches for award seats on *A partners for international flights.... Should I not be suspicious of the quick "no" to award seat availability?
The process to search for Star Award in FastRes-Apollo is to search for, example, IAD-AKL with modifier R and then keep clicking 'display more availability' over...and over...and over again, trying to match XCs, Os, Is and Ws (they don't align). If I get that IAD-AKL call, and the caller states he/she wants Business with one-stop only, I will simply do a search for LAX-AKL and SFO-AKL and keep changing the date since I know those are the only two flights that will get meet their expectations. A less knowledgeable agent will keep hitting IAD-AKL 'display more availability' which will ultimately produce routes like IAD-ATL-SFO-AKL, changing just the connection to LAX/SFO.

Also, some agents will only hit 'display more availability' three or four times, thinking that if it's not there, it won't be (usually true). And some agents will search gateway flights (e.g. if you're traveling ORD-FLR and willing to make two connections, let's find any flight to get you over the water) which the company doesn't really like. So I guess it depends on their knowledge & efficiency ... and sometimes willingness to help!

Originally Posted by g_leyser
Everytime we call we are told that our calls "may be monitored or recorded...blah blah blah". My question is: Are they REALLY monitored? If so, how many actually get re-played and examined? Is there a certain percentage that every agent has monitored? Are there random reviews, or something like that?
Good question to close out with for now : ). Each month every agent has a certain number of calls listened to (at least three, but depends on product). The calls selected are totally random (but I've never had a 2-hour call listened to! OK, maybe pieces) and the supervisor completes an evaluation form. Sometimes we're forced to listen & critique them with the supervisor (and some supervisors will make you do it whether it's good or bad). Some supervisors are really picky while others are not (e.g. telling you to say 'I don't know' vs. speculation -- like on upgrades!!)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Welcome and thanks for your participation RSSRNotInIndia. ^

It seems we now have participation from UA pilots, FA's, mechanics, and reservations. How cool is that?! ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thank You!!

Thanks SO, SO much, RSSR!! We really appreciate your taking the time to answer questions and share your thoughts. You are great!!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:19 pm

Thanks for the great info RSSRNotInIndia! Keep up the great work! ^
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia
Do you mean supervisors (managerial employees who are responsible for agent performance, among other things, and who never take calls) or service directors (unionized hourly employees who receive a $1 or so per hour premium to play "supervisor" on the phone)
a few follow up questions.

1. What union reps you?

2. Do you get the same travel benefits as airport based UA employees?

3. Would you mind telling us which one of the call centers you are based? (if not, NBD).
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Thank you for participating here, and welcome!

I'm one of those annoying customers who travels in a family of three with two elites (1P and 2P) and one GM--thus, we're eligible to sit in Economy Plus but I'm unable to make E+ seat assignments when booking online or to manage them later if there are changes (we regularly get kicked out of E+ if there's an equipment change). I think at least half my calls to United are simply to make or fix seat assignments. For one such call last week, the agent had to sit on hold for the seat desk for about 10 minutes before being able to make a change. Do the agents find this as annoying as I do? Is there anything I can do on my end, short of splitting the PNR or making two separate reservations? And, do you know if there are any plans to fix this? Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I add my thanks to you, for this is VERY educational experience! I respect those posters who tell you to be careful about what information you post here, though I admit I cannot see anything you have said borders on that. What it has done for me is it has made me more sensitive to the position of the agent. I have also learned how things are done, and can now be better prepared when I call, and in accepting the response from the agent, especially in regard to Award Travel. I think it is a GREAT service to UA in educating their most frequent flyers.

If ANY 1K reservation goes overseas, well, I would not want to be Tilton on hearing our reaction!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Welcome and Thank you RSSRNII for adding to the "in-house" information font we on FT value so much. From you, I've already learned that I've been treated very well on my calls on schedule changes, as none were within that 90-minute window!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: United
Awesome thread. I always try to treat 1k agents with the respect their knowledge & experience deserves. Reading all this is very educational and helpful.

Thanks RSSRNotInIndia!

I do have a question. Very occasionally, my flight is messed up due to tech/weather/crew cancellation eg at ORD.

Rather than stand in a long line, I immediately call the 1k line & usually get much better help than from the check in desk or gate.

Are there any tips to getting the very best solution from the 1k agents (other than the hopefully obvious being nice & communicating the issues calmly & clearly)?

Thanks

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 22, 2008 at 8:30 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
1. What union reps you?
IAM, which represents most ground employees at UA.

2. Do you get the same travel benefits as airport based UA employees?
Yes, all United employees have the same travel benefits.

Would you mind telling us which one of the call centers you are based? (if not, NBD).
Well, I'm not in India ; ).

ms_go, No, there's nothing you can do other than to call to make the seat change. And I'm not aware of whether or not UA's attempting a fix. Agents who are Premier-trained can fix this immediately; agents who are not must contact an SD. Does this annoy agents? Well, we're paid by the hour and seat changes are a whole lot easier (usually) than award travel ; ). Plus, if an agent contacts an SD, she's probably reading People or US while listening to Rhapsody in Blue with you .

Originally Posted by westerndh
Are there any tips to getting the very best solution from the 1k agents (other than the hopefully obvious being nice & communicating the issues calmly & clearly)?
I wish there was some advice I could give you, but there's not. It's going to depend on the helpfulness & knowledge of the agent you speak with (and perhaps the SD they are connected with). And some agents are consumer friendly, while others are all-company (e.g. your 8AM flight's been canceled an you wish to be moved to the 6AM, otherwise you'll miss your meeting... but that flight's sold out in Y -- but only booked to 113/110 and 2/8 in F -- and the agent refuses to help you).

Take care everyone!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.