Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Thumbs up Thanks RSSRNotInIndia!

I want to add my thanks!^ to everyone else's here.

Your willingness to post here reaffirms my personal belief that the people of United Airlines are their greatest strength.

Mahalo & Aloha nui loa,
Ted
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: Various
No questions, but I'd like to join in the chorus thanking you for this thread.

Originally Posted by RSSRNotInIndia
ms_go, No, there's nothing you can do other than to call to make the seat change. And I'm not aware of whether or not UA's attempting a fix. Agents who are Premier-trained can fix this immediately; agents who are not must contact an SD. Does this annoy agents? Well, we're paid by the hour and seat changes are a whole lot easier (usually) than award travel ; ). Plus, if an agent contacts an SD, she's probably reading People or US while listening to Rhapsody in Blue with you .
Thanks especially for this information - when I'm on a long "internal" hold, I often do some work, click around on the internet, etc., but I feel bad for the agent who is waiting on hold as well. Now I can feel better about that!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:11 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Why do you wait for us to hang up after a call instead of you hanging up when it is obvious that the call is over?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Another "mahalo" for your willingness to share...

Q1: What do I really need to do to make sure that a domestic Y/B fare booked through my companies travel department gets on the upgrade waitlist? Do I just need to call the 1K desK? Or do I also need to have my TA insert something into my PNR?

Q2: What's so difficult about having the 1 K desk change my Y/B fare while in the middle of a trip? The couple of times I done this, it seems that something gets messed up (seating, ability to OLCI, upgrade request, etc.)

Again, thanx!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Many thanks as well RSSR...

When you are on hold waiting for the SD can you also hear the caller?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Let me add my thanks! And add a question as well:

Have you ever successfully ticketed a customer's award travel on a non-star alliance partner, such as Emirates or Qatar Airways? As I understand it, award seat availability is not displayed to United agents, so you have to request the customer's flights and wait for a response. That seems like such a shot in the dark. But, maybe some airlines/routes/classes yield more successful bookings than others - do you know which ones these might be?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Why do you wait for us to hang up after a call instead of you hanging up when it is obvious that the call is over?
I'm guessing that RSSRNotinindia is NOT one of the agents that does this. I think the agents who do this do so to prevent customers from being transferred to the survey.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, yes. 1-800-UNITED-1 (North American) and 1-800-JET-AWAY (International) calls are routed differently. There is a 1P/1K Domestic Desk and 1P/1K International Desk... but the agents handling domestic calls are being trained to handle international, so ultimately the 1P/1K Domestic Desk will be phased out -- perhaps to India!
Ugh, if this happens I will stop flying UA. It'd be the straw that broke the camel's back. I've never had anything but trouble with the Indian call center. As a GM on AA, I get competent Americans on the phone who are easy to understand and who don't patronize me by telling me their name is Brian when it's obviously Sanjay. (there's nothing wrong with Sanjay - just tell me that's your name if it is!)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Welcome and thanks for your participation RSSRNotInIndia. ^

It seems we now have participation from UA pilots, FA's, mechanics, and reservations. How cool is that?! ^
I wonder if we can have a a thread for "Ask the ATC" (Air Traffic Controller)? Similar to pilots in that there are a variety of stations (local, regional, oceanic), and wide variation in busy-ness.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by pcoll52
I wonder if we can have a a thread for "Ask the ATC" (Air Traffic Controller)? Similar to pilots in that there are a variety of stations (local, regional, oceanic), and wide variation in busy-ness.
If we did it would not belong in an airline specific forum -- maybe TravelBuzz would be appropriate.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:58 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pcoll52
I could probably arrange that ...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
There was an LAX ATC, Controller Kyle, who posted in Community recently introducing himself. The thread was merged into the Who we all are thread.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Actually, yes. 1-800-UNITED-1 (North American) and 1-800-JET-AWAY (International) calls are routed differently. There is a 1P/1K Domestic Desk and 1P/1K International Desk... but the agents handling domestic calls are being trained to handle international, so ultimately the 1P/1K Domestic Desk will be phased out -- perhaps to India!.....
please please please say it ain't so about the last part -that would be a really really really bad move on the part of ua as there are a ton of 1k's who make it on only domestic flights (i was one of them prior to last year) and afaic, a 1k is a 1k regardless as to where they fly to/from
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Does the Million Mile status show when you pull up a PNR or input a MP#, and if so, does it hold any weight (above regular 1P, if no longer 1K) for asking for something, i.e., request for inventory to open something up, etc?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by goalie
please please please say it ain't so about the last part -that would be a really really really bad move on the part of ua as there are a ton of 1k's who make it on only domestic flights (i was one of them prior to last year) and afaic, a 1k is a 1k regardless as to where they fly to/from
I read this as they were combining into a single phone bank handling both international and domestic. I still think its a bad idea since intl can take so much longer to book, esp award tickets (and think back to how bad it was when they first removed the award desk for the complex intl tix). This just comes down to more hang up and try again when the csr isn't trained enough to support the query

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.