Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ 200 Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carl92103
They make the plane out to be comfortable --bunch of BS
http://www.crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en...d=en&crjId=200
Well, I think this plane could be perfectly comfortable - it's just those 50 seats that are uncomfortable. If I owned a CRJ-200 and put about 20 seats in it, I think it'd be a really comfy ride!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:35 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by carl92103
They make the plane out to be comfortable
You expect anyone's marketing department to tell the truth? They say it's comparable to "larger jet aircraft". Hey, maybe it is true ... compared to a B-707 or a Tu-154.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 11:49 am

Programs: UA1K
i agree the crj-200 isn't the most comfortable, but i used to have to do IAD-TYS on a j41. that flight is almost 2 hours, compared to 55 minutes on the crj. i will gladly take the crj anyday of the week and twice on sundays over a prop for that leg.

but the shorter hops, like LAX-SAN, i'll do the emb120. but in all honesty, the crj doesn't bother me THAT much.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I'm going to chime in on this. I have never been on a UA CRJ200. I have only been on a NWA Airlink one once, in seat 1B (with no one next to me). It is hard from seat guru to tell what the best seat is and without E+ I am a little confused on what to pick. My gut says 8B/C becuase it says it doesn't have much extra leg room (which implies that there is a little extra).

Anyone who flys CRJs regularly want to chime in? I think I much prefer the EMB120 to the CRJ, it really does have a decent amount of room inside the little prop plane.

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I'm going to chime in on this. I have never been on a UA CRJ200.
Lucky! Have you also avoided the scourge that is TED? (Mind you, TED smashes ugly CRJ-200 into dirt every day of week!)

According to FlightMemory, CRJ-200s are my most-traveled a/c, but that's with a lot of my flights unidentified as equipment type (I suspect the A320 should be giving the RJ a run for its money).

My gut says 8B/C becuase it says it doesn't have much extra leg room (which implies that there is a little extra).
Row 8, IIRC, has about an inch more leg room. Is it worth it? Depends on the flight length; I'd prefer to be in row 2 or 3 if it's a short flight, so I can get the heck off the plane faster when we land, but for hour+ flights, I'll take row 8.

Anyone who flys CRJs regularly want to chime in? I think I much prefer the EMB120 to the CRJ, it really does have a decent amount of room inside the little prop plane.
I absolutely prefer the EMB-120 over the CRJ-200. I'd take a Dash-8 over an CRJ-200. Now, a J-41, well... I think even I have my breaking point and would choose a CRJ-200 for that one.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GRB051111
Avoid row 8, for sure. Not that much extra legroom as other posters said.

Also, after ten CRJ 200 or so, I have a feeling that row 1 actually have LESS legroom than others. So I usually pick row 2. Windows are bad; very cramped. Go for aisle. With IAD-PHL I doubt you'll be in the air for more than 25 minutes -- your experience will be relatively painless.
Principle benefit of Row 8 is that Row 7 does not recline, and CRJ200 has single seat map unlike on NW where you never know if row 7 or row 8 is exit row because of two cabin arrangements
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think I much prefer the EMB120 to the CRJ
Especially 9BC. SFO-SBA, we have a choice of EMB-120 or CRJ. We avoid the CRJ like the plague.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by exerda
I absolutely prefer the EMB-120 over the CRJ-200. I'd take a Dash-8 over an CRJ-200. Now, a J-41, well... I think even I have my breaking point and would choose a CRJ-200 for that one.
I was with you up until that last one. Even a J-41 is better than a CRJ200 in my mind and butt and thighs.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Last evening we were seated on a CRJ-50 (UX by SkyWest), flt 6927. All 50 seats were occupied. The pilot won't take off because of overweight. He calculated/insisted that 9 passengers will be removed from the plane or else, we'll stay parked at the gate (yep, F11 ).
What happens is that GAs concerned with on time departure overly aggressively green tag carry on luggage, and this causes the imbalance. There are smaller roller cases out there designed for commuter jets, but for some reason United does not want to invest in sizers that will allow the GAs to figure out immediately whether a bag will fit the overheads. Rather than
unload bags from the hold and stow in the cabin, the ground crews just pull passengers. It also doesn't help that the FAs and pilots use up much of the overhead space with their own 22 inch cases.

I've been on the propeller driven UX DASH-8 operated by Mesa, and often they simply refuse to green tag. And the I case have that easily fits in the CRJs requires some pounding to fit in the DASH-8. Indeed, the first time I flew on a DASH-8, on a connection, I naively assumed my 22 inch case I carried off the main liner would be green tagged onto the DASH-8, and was told by the luggage guy to either "work it" (jam my case into the overhead) or I wasn't flying.

I've never been on flights were 9 have been pulled from CRJ, but have been on flights with 1 or 2 pulled involuntarily. It is good to be a 1K.

Shuttle America, another UX partner, flies the similarly sized (to CRJs) Embraer jets and they have very spacious overhead bins; 22 inchers fit fine.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I generally prefer windows; I like the views (the wing doesn't block views in Row 8); and I don't find it too cramped (I'm 6'0"). Note that there is no window-side armrest in Row 8. I actually prefer that.
There is less room for the upper body in the window seats of a CRJ. And if you get an obese person seated next to you, you'll be in a vise. Always take the aisle. The aisle is also useful if the window is open. When the standbys come on board, they'll often be told by the FA to pick any open seat and sit down ASAP so the plane can move. If there are open aisle seats the standbys will pick those versus more often that asking someone in an aisle seat next to an open window to stand up (and delay departure).
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Lucky! Have you also avoided the scourge that is TED? (Mind you, TED smashes ugly CRJ-200 into dirt every day of week!)

According to FlightMemory, CRJ-200s are my most-traveled a/c, but that's with a lot of my flights unidentified as equipment type (I suspect the A320 should be giving the RJ a run for its money).
See I don't mind TED (and I'm in LAS so there is no choice really). I wouldn't burn a e500 on LAS-LAX/SFO/DEN anyway and make all my connections there. Even when I have to fly LAS-ORD I'll connect in DEN onto a 3-class 777 to ORD so the connection is worth it.

According to my flight memory my equipment stats for 2007 look like this:
1 Airbus 320 20 26.3 %
2 Boeing 757-200 10 13.2 %
3 Boeing 737-300 8 10.5 %
4 Boeing 737-800 7 9.2 %
5 DC-9-50 7 9.2 %
6 Airbus 319 5 6.6 %
7 Embraer 120 5 6.6 %
8 Boeing 757-300 4 5.3 %
9 DC-9-40 2 2.6 %
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mre5765
What happens is that GAs concerned with on time departure overly aggressively green tag carry on luggage, and this causes the imbalance. There are smaller roller cases out there designed for commuter jets, but for some reason United does not want to invest in sizers that will allow the GAs to figure out immediately whether a bag will fit the overheads.
As an aside, my smaller Samsonite Spinner will fit in the overheads of a CRJ-200 (albeit lengthwise vs. wheels-in). But about 75% of the time, the GA insists I gate check it anyway, disbelieving it will fit. (And, conversely, my larger Spinner will only fit mainline--and has problems with some bins on 767s!--as it's designed to go top-in and fit perfectly. Yet GAs and FAs on E-170s insist "it will fit" even when I know from experience it won't. Sigh.)

Originally Posted by mre5765
Rather than unload bags from the hold and stow in the cabin, the ground crews just pull passengers. It also doesn't help that the FAs and pilots use up much of the overhead space with their own 22 inch cases.
I had a UX flight the other day on an Embraer 120, and the GA, FA, and ramp crew started carrying bags onboard and seatbelted them into the open seats, wedged them into the open rows on the floor, etc. (Presumably to avoid problems with weight & balance--it was a light pax load due to some irrops earlier in the day which had sent many pax to drive to SJC, OAK, and SFO.) I wondered if that sort of arrangement was strictly kosher with the FAA and its rules for stowing bags, but didn't say anything.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Checked Baggage size restriction

Notwithstanding UA's 62 linear inch (financially motivated) checked baggage size limit, is there a PHYSICAL limit on the size of checked baggage on these fine CRJ-200s?

Update: I called United Cargo. Limit is 90 linear inches on the CRJ-200....

Last edited by aerokitty; Oct 11, 2007 at 6:37 pm Reason: updated info
Old Sep 28, 2007, 9:52 am

I wondered if that sort of arrangement was strictly kosher with the FAA and its rules for stowing bags
It's not.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's not.
That's what I thought.

I'd read the FAA regs on stowed bags on the plane a while back, when trying to see if a US GA was right in trying to claim I had to stow my personal pillow (vs. having it on my lap or leaned up against the fuselage), and thought there was something about what constituted "stowed," and filling the cabin with bags--under the seats, in the seats, in the floor and between rows of seats (not in the aisles, mind you--that would be a HUGE safety issue) just doesn't meet that definition of "stowed."

I have to give it to the MRY UX agents for that morning, though. They were really getting slammed by SFO weather causing massive delays and cancellations, messing up many international connections, etc., and they were doing their best to get everyone out and onto connections which would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.