Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ 200 Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Exit Row 8 or Row 1 on UX CRJ?

I'm flying to ORF tomorrow and just got moved to 1B (was in row 7) on an ACA CRJ. I checked seatguru.com which says that row 8 gives you a little more legroom, but row 1 is probably the best.

Any opinions out there?
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:09 am

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott, Hilton Gold. Delta Silver Medallion
Row 1 seats have trey tables on the side.. something to consider if you are a little wider
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:34 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Row 1.

I've never seen much benefit to Row 8. From Row 1 you can get out quickly.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:37 am

I ususally always sit in 1B or 1C on a CRJ because you can stretch your legs foward in the aisle and also you are first off the plane. I cannot really see where exit row on CRJ has any extra legroom then other seats.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:49 am

I took both Row 1 and Row 8 asile seats. Definitely Row 1 is what you want. The exit row seats on these planes do not have any significantly extra legroom at all.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:50 am

My last 6 segments have been CRJ's (aren't I the lucky one!!) Seat 1B/C in my opinion are far and away best seats available. If there is extra leg space in exit row it must be measured in microns.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Agree with everyone above - 1C is my preferred seat on the CRJ.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:14 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I cannot disagree with anyone's points above regarding legroom...However, I always choose row 8, not because of the extra 1/16", but because I am a little wider, and covet an empty seat next to me when traveling alone. Because row 8 is cannot be reserved in advance by non-1P/1K's, if there is one empty seat on the plane, it tends to be in row 8 (but not always). Conversely, the row 1 windows tend to fill up in a hurry.

Which takes me to another point--I still don't know why they can't seat block on UX. Granted, everything is aisle/window, but it ticks me off when on the rare occasion I've got someone next to me on a non-full flight, Granny Once-A-Year scores an empty seat next to her. If need be, certainly, fill that seat, but it really doesn't hurt to give some sort of protection to 'valued' customers.

Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pgrats:
My last 6 segments have been CRJ's...</font>
You just made a shudder go down my back. I flew on a CRJ from CAE-IAD a while back and it wasn't bad. I agree with 1B/1C. The best thing about these seats besides the legroom is that you're the first off the plane.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hi,

One problem with row 1 is that frequently the FA askes those seated in the first 4 rows to move to the rear of the plane for weight balance reasons. Row 8 is more of a sure reservation.

Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:33 am

I'm 6'2" and I choose row 8 aisles every time. It's true what's said above; was on MHT-IAD two days ago and they asked people in the front to move to the back for balance. Getting off "early" is no big deal because there just aren't many passengers on a CRJ between rows 1 and 8. Takes maybe 60 seconds longer
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:39 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LAX777:
I ususally always sit in 1B or 1C on a CRJ because you can stretch your legs foward in the aisle and also you are first off the plane. I cannot really see where exit row on CRJ has any extra legroom then other seats.</font>
Most definitely take Row 1. The extra legroom is gained by stretching out into the aisle...

No apreciative difference in leg room for the Row 8 exit row seats.

William
Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
I do row 8, ive had a seated flight attendant tell me once that "per faa regulations and for safety reasons" i cannot stretch my legs into the aisle/galley...... like everything there is NEVER any consistency on UX in terms of training and rules.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:11 pm

No; 1B and 1C are *horrible*. For your own sake, please don't ever sit there!

(This reminds me of the 747 row 15 discussions.)

But, seriously, I'm somewhere over 6'5" and 1B and 1C are the only seats on this plane I'd describe as "not uncomfortable" for me. I'll take 1A/1D if BC aren't available. After that, who cares, except an aisle please and as far forward as possible so I can get the heck off as quick as possible.

Thankfully we're seeing fewer of these on BUR-SFO (or maybe I'm just flying at the 'right' times of day now).

-BP

(edited because I'm new to these smiley things)

[This message has been edited by BlatheringPenguin (edited Mar 02, 2004).]
Old Mar 2, 2004, 9:38 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
1D is my seat of choice on this "airplane". The quicker I can get out, the best..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.