Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ 200 Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Intrepid
Afterall the brand of UA/UX loses a lot of goodwill and future business travelers in this fiasco.
I don't know about you UX fliers but American Eagle finances a substantial percentage of my domestic leisure airfare budget each year due to weight restrictions... In your scenario, if UX fills each of seats 45-50 say only 25% of the time, then UX is probably still better off with the occasional IDB than going with only 44 seats. When there's bad weather, even the flights are booked to a full 50, there's often enough chance for misconnects that they won't need to IDB, and those misconnected passengers are not going to be compensated for taking the next flight.

But I'd also expect that both UX and AE don't overbook as much during the winter months, especially on the last flights of the day.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:37 am

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
CRJ 200 question

I have been lucky enough to never have flown the CRJ 200, however I must do so IAD-PHL in July.

I have a choice of exit row 8 aisle or row 1, aisle or window.

Seatguru indicates limited legroom in row 1 because of a bulk head and simply says about row 8 that it doesn't have much 'extra' legroom despite being an exit row.

I could use some personal experience help on choosing seat on the AC.

Thoughts are appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by denis in denver
I have been lucky enough to never have flown the CRJ 200, however I must do so IAD-PHL in July.

I have a choice of exit row 8 aisle or row 1, aisle or window.

Seatguru indicates limited legroom in row 1 because of a bulk head and simply says about row 8 that it doesn't have much 'extra' legroom despite being an exit row.

I could use some personal experience help on choosing seat on the AC.

Thoughts are appreciated.
You're lucky that you have a short flight on this aircraft. Basically, it sucks.
I've been in row 8 a number of times and seatguru is correct...the extra room is not that much -- maybe 2 inches?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would just choose row one, personally. Be the last on and the first off.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 11:56 am

Avoid row 8, for sure. Not that much extra legroom as other posters said.

Also, after ten CRJ 200 or so, I have a feeling that row 1 actually have LESS legroom than others. So I usually pick row 2. Windows are bad; very cramped. Go for aisle. With IAD-PHL I doubt you'll be in the air for more than 25 minutes -- your experience will be relatively painless.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by GRB051111
Avoid row 8, for sure. Not that much extra legroom as other posters said.
I wouldn't avoid row 8. There is extra legroom, after all. I take row 8 windows on long flights and row 1 aisles on short flights. Do not take the row 1 window. You will not be able to stretch out at all if you're of average height.

For IAD-PHL I would take the row 1 aisle. Sometimes it's also nice to chat with the FA from those seats.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by fadeforward
I take row 8 windows on long flights
Why the window rather than the aisle?
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Personally, I think CRJ-200s have more room than -700s (even in E-). I know SeatGuru measurements may disagree, but with the exception of the bulkhead due to the restricted leg room, most of the seats are the same. So, for me, the farthest window seat forward I can get, is always a winner - simply to have a view and avoid the engines.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by denis in denver
Why the window rather than the aisle?
I generally prefer windows; I like the views (the wing doesn't block views in Row 8); and I don't find it too cramped (I'm 6'0"). Note that there is no window-side armrest in Row 8. I actually prefer that.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
1 B or C.

At least you can stick a leg into the galley.

1 A or D are terribly uncomfortable.

Row 8 is nothing special at all.

Window seats actually have worse views because the windows are so low on this hideous, awful, terrible, abominable aircraft.

Best, if you have to fly this monstrosity, is an aisle seat (any row) with no one in the window seat.

But if that's not an option, an aisle seat close to the front will allow you to be off of this miserable excuse for an airplane more quickly.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
Personally, I think CRJ-200s have more room than -700s (even in E-). I know SeatGuru measurements may disagree, but with the exception of the bulkhead due to the restricted leg room, most of the seats are the same. So, for me, the farthest window seat forward I can get, is always a winner - simply to have a view and avoid the engines.
I always take an aisle seat. SeatGuru notwithstanding, I believe the CRJ has the narrowest seats of any A/C I fly. Even a moderate "customer of size" next to you will infringe on your space. At least on the aisle, you can raise the seat arm and lean out a bit. At the window, you're pinned in.

Last edited by HonestABE; Jun 25, 2007 at 1:11 pm
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I prefer row 1 aisle. On at least one of the UX carriers out IAD, the aisle seats are 1C and 1D, not 1B and 1C.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
1 B or C.
1B is actually preferable since the bulkhead doesn't extend as far towards the aisle as it does in 1C.

It is a horrible aircraft, so row 1 is best so you are first off the damn thing.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:51 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm 5'4" and my head was hitting the slope over the window which is about belly button level and so pitted you could barely see outside even when you tried. Overhead capacity is minimal too.

msv
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by qasr
1B is actually preferable since the bulkhead doesn't extend as far towards the aisle as it does in 1C.

It is a horrible aircraft, so row 1 is best so you are first off the damn thing.
Agreed on both counts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.