Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CRJ 200 Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by jerriblank55
Great, I've got DEN-ONT on this bad boy. Luckily my partner is being jammed into the window while most of my 6'3" frame will be jutting into the aisle (row 2).
When is this? This route's been Ted (Rar!) country for quite some time. I'm also not seeing it in the timetable anywhere.

In the meantime, I have a chill of panic in case this is, in fact, true. I'll do a connection through LAX to avoid the nonstop to SFO in that torture tube.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
There is a thread recently comparing the EMB-145 to the CRJ-200. By far the majority preferred the EMB-145. I have not flown a EMB-120.
The CRJ200 is IMO a better passenger experience than the EMB120, with the significant exception that in the EMB120 seats 9BC are better than anything you'll get in the CRJ200 (or almost anything in the entire fleet for that matter.)

The problem with the EMB120 is the noise. On longer flights (eg RDM-SFO, avoid it like the plague) you'll be ready to jump out the window.

In the CRJ200 you just have to be prepared to rub elbows with your seatmate for several hours. If you're in a window seat you'll have to perform circus contortions to get out to go to the lav, and better not bring anything bigger than your TED plush toy for the overhead bin. That said, it's a relatively quiet ride, and seems to get to cruising altitude much quicker than the EMB120. Sometimes the takeoff feels almost 757-like, at least to me.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:36 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All rows have limited leg room and limited shoulder room.
Also...if you are a man over 5' 10" tall, try..just try...I dare ya... to stand up and pee in the lav.

With the wall curving right into your chest, it is necessary to stand as if you are doing the limbo while doing your business.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:40 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LGACIC
The CRJ200 is IMO a better passenger experience than the EMB120, with the significant exception that in the EMB120 seats 9BC are better than anything you'll get in the CRJ200 (or almost anything in the entire fleet for that matter.)

The problem with the EMB120 is the noise. On longer flights (eg RDM-SFO, avoid it like the plague) you'll be ready to jump out the window.
I understand your points, but completely disagree on all counts.

Noise canceling headphones take care of that problem (they also have earplugs on the EMB120s that the FA will be glad to give you).

My longest CRJ200 flights have been SJC-LAX and SFO-ACV; about an hour each. I think the views from the lower altitude plus not being thigh abraded more than compensate for the extra noise.

To each his or her own.

In the CRJ200 you just have to be prepared to rub elbows with your seatmate for several hours.
No thank you.

If you're in a window seat you'll have to perform circus contortions to get out to go to the lav, and better not bring anything bigger than your TED plush toy for the overhead bin.
On this we agree.

That said, it's a relatively quiet ride, and seems to get to cruising altitude much quicker than the EMB120. Sometimes the takeoff feels almost 757-like, at least to me.
As does the landing. Ever notice how long the rollout is on a CRJ200? Everything else being equal, slower approach speed and leading edge devices (which the CRJ200 lacks) are safer.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I understand your points, but completely disagree on all counts.

Noise canceling headphones take care of that problem (they also have earplugs on the EMB120s that the FA will be glad to give you).

My longest CRJ200 flights have been SJC-LAX and SFO-ACV; about an hour each. I think the views from the lower altitude plus not being thigh abraded more than compensate for the extra noise.

To each his or her own.
I hadn't known about the earplug option, and having flown the EMB120 at least 50 times, I wish I had! This is excellent information.

I agree on the scenic aspect of the EMB flights. One my favorite in the entire UA system is the CIC-SFO route over the coastal range, then very low over the coast south of the bay before landing. PDX-SEA is another favorite.

All things considered, my vote is the EMB on short flights, but I'm still wary of it on longer routes. Its cabin is not exactly spacious either, and it tends to fly at higher altitudes for longer distances. If you have a free seat next to you on the CRJ you'll exit with thighs intact and most of your problems are solved. Though I never have gotten used to the steep descent with the landing gear suddenly banging out, sounding like it's just fallen off and into the ocean.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In the CRJ200 you just have to be prepared to rub elbows with your seatmate for several hours.
No thank you.
You just aren't flying with the right seatmates...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You are right about that.

How many times have I sat in xB or xC while boarding was occurring, hoping, hoping that the xA or xD would remain unoccupied or at least it would be occupied by a tiny person of the female persuasion or perhaps a midget -- and then Larry the Cable Guy is standing there saying "Uh, that's my seat over there."

I still have the thigh scars. And not in a good way.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:16 pm

You are right about that.

How many times have I sat in xB or xC while boarding was occurring, hoping, hoping that the xA or xD would remain unoccupied or at least it would be occupied by a tiny person of the female persuasion or perhaps a midget -- and then Larry the Cable Guy is standing there saying "Uh, that's my seat over there."

I still have the thigh scars. And not in a good way.
Same thing happened to me on Saturday, flying PDX-ONT nonstop on Horizon's CRJ700 that equals the 200 in every negative category unless you manage to get an exit row. Seat next to me was empty, and we had almost pushed back when a female found her way into the aisle seat beside me - all fine in principle, but then her generous arms oozed over into my seat and slid and chafed all over me while she slept for the next two hours. Couldn't request the complimentary microbrews fast enough!
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I like te proximity of the fuselage because I can lean against it, close my eyes, and dream about being in a real plane.
I thought a dream of any kind while aboard the CRJ200 was a nightmare...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:59 pm

I take these things PHX-LAX all the time. They aren't awesome but I could think of a lot worst things to ride on

I personally prefer 1C since I can be off first to get my bags. the only downside is bin space is at a premium since the one above 1A/B is emergency equipment, and you must store all your carry-ons.

Regarding the exit row the few times I have sat there I actually did not feel it was much roomier than the rest of the rows...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 6:00 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wink

Originally Posted by LGACIC
Same thing happened to me on Saturday, flying PDX-ONT nonstop on Horizon's CRJ700 that equals the 200 in every negative category unless you manage to get an exit row. Seat next to me was empty, and we had almost pushed back when a female found her way into the aisle seat beside me - all fine in principle, but then her generous arms oozed over into my seat and slid and chafed all over me while she slept for the next two hours. Couldn't request the complimentary microbrews fast enough!
I can relate with two trips and two young tall men but the first was enormous and fell asleep, snored, twitched and basiclly pummeld me the entire trip (his leg was under my seat the entire trip!). On the return trip what a difference 50 lbs and blues can make! We talked the whole way home.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by jerriblank55
Great, I've got DEN-ONT on this bad boy. Luckily my partner is being jammed into the window while most of my 6'3" frame will be jutting into the aisle (row 2).
DEN-ONT is a Ted route.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ajthegreat
I could think of a lot worst things to ride on
Like any flight on US...
Old Jul 16, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 2p
Originally Posted by Paubri
When is this? This route's been Ted (Rar!) country for quite some time. I'm also not seeing it in the timetable anywhere.

In the meantime, I have a chill of panic in case this is, in fact, true. I'll do a connection through LAX to avoid the nonstop to SFO in that torture tube.
Oops, my mistake-- I have it ONT-SFO. Sorry if i scared you...
Old Jul 17, 2007, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
They make the plane out to be comfortable --bunch of BS
http://www.crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en...d=en&crjId=200

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.