Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's seats - absorbs methane pretty well

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Silver
I flew Iberia a couple of years back, the inflight magazine had a full and graphic half page article on bottom burps, it was quite hilarious, even gave a little translation in English and told you how long you could expect to keep having them after you landed.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by railwaystand
I flew Iberia a couple of years back, the inflight magazine had a full and graphic half page article on bottom burps, it was quite hilarious, even gave a little translation in English and told you how long you could expect to keep having them after you landed.
I'd love to see a good plain-English explanation of the gastrointestinal effects of rapid (or even not-so-rapid; I commute from 13m to 4200m elevation) changes in atmospheric pressure, including how long it's supposed to take for the effects to wear off.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
ROTFLMFAO!!! This thread is an instant classic.^^

Seriously, OP may have a good point. Recently, I flew AA and Delta C in their leather seats, and I do notice leather seats seem to retain less odor than the current UA C seats.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I'd love to see a good plain-English explanation of the gastrointestinal effects of rapid (or even not-so-rapid; I commute from 13m to 4200m elevation) changes in atmospheric pressure, including how long it's supposed to take for the effects to wear off.
You are, of course, referring to HAFE, High-Altitude Flatus Expulsion.

Some will recall a diverted flight about a year ago, which actually resulted from the afflicted pax trying to light matches to cover the odor.

Somebody has apparently marketed a flatulence deodorizer that you might wish to consider. To keep this UA-related, I wonder if it would be useful to include these in F and C amenity kits.

This thread has been a real gas.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredd
You are, of course, referring to HAFE, High-Altitude Flatus Expulsion.
Fascinating. On the ground, I worry more about AMS, HACE and HAPE for obvious reasons; was not aware of HAFE before. I'll be sure to integrate this into any safety talks I give.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I smell a candidate for the Post of the Year award...
I'll pay that!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:09 pm

I was thinking about this very thread today flying SFO-YYZ... and then forgot about it.

A couple hours into the flight... wow, it hit me (the smell). Certainly this A319 I was flying on definitely had not been "upgraded" with these absorbent seats!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I smell a candidate for the Post of the Year award...
There's something fitting about this winning the POT(T)Y award...
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder...

...can we somehow get information on the gas-absorbing capabilities of seats added to seatguru.com? That could be a lot more helpful than being told that sitting in 1B, my sleep might be disturbed by the FAs chatting in the forward galley.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:22 am

Location: The opinions expressed are mine and not those of UA corp or its affiliates
Programs: St. Olaf College Alumni, Bullmastiff rescue
Originally Posted by gre
Maybe I'm not the only guy who grabs a big stinky burrito to eat on every longhaul flight.
That is a good way to stop E- pax from moving into E+ and taking the empty seat next to you.

Imagine the poor CS agent who opens the door on LHR-LAX after the entire plane has had brussel sprouts. It gives new meaning to the term "explosive decompression".
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:24 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by pr0digy25
I was thinking about this very thread today flying SFO-YYZ... and then forgot about it.

A couple hours into the flight... wow, it hit me (the smell). Certainly this A319 I was flying on definitely had not been "upgraded" with these absorbent seats!

Maybe I'm in a minority but I enjoy flying with the ventilation air nozzle at full blast blowing on me. I sure don't smell any of the offensive odors many of you are talking about. It probably also helps dissipate any offensive contributions I make.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
Somebody has apparently marketed a flatulence deodorizer that you might wish to consider.
Wow, that's covered by the same patent I cited!

I gotta say, though, I fly UA most of the time, and sometimes I smell a pretty rank one. Those seats aren't perfect
Old Jan 1, 2008, 8:42 am

Be thankful UA has fabric seats, some of the no-frills Canadian charters have vinyl seats.... no muffling/abosorbing on those ones!
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pr0digy25
Be thankful UA has fabric seats, some of the no-frills Canadian charters have vinyl seats.... no muffling/abosorbing on those ones!
Perhaps that explains why CTV (Canada's largest privately owned tv network) via the Canadian Press ran this enlightening article a few days ago.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I don't know what in the world possessed me to post this... I had a bit too much flying in C from MUC to IAD desperately trying to sleep. Having some more in IAD didn't stop me from opening up my laptop and letting some sinister force take possession of my hapless fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.