Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's seats - absorbs methane pretty well

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Club Carlson Silver
That explains it all ...

May I just quote the little placard on the seat in front of you:

"Your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device"

Now strap it on, put your nose in it and remember: Drowning is worse than suffocating.

Enjoy.

TT
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just hope you don't *actually* leak... odor is one thing... stains...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by 1Kwoman
I think I sat next to you last week, Stinky! Keep your gas to yourself! I don't know why people think they can get away with secretly passing gas on an airplane...it is no secret to those around you!
The one good thing about being next to a baby on a plane -- fire at will.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I just hope you don't *actually* leak... odor is one thing... stains...
Mrs. Wiggums must handle his skivvies in the same manner toxic waste is managed ...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:13 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I thought methane was odorless.

Perhaps you mean Hydrogen Sulfide?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:38 pm

Shamefully I must say I too have noticed this. It helps if there's plenty of air flow ahead of time from overhead vents. Release a tiny amount to see if it's really toxic, and slowly increase dose if one continue to smell nothing. If it's truly deadly then abort further releases and proceed to bomb the lavatory (drop a bomb, fan the pants so there's no trail, then carefully exit and close door immediately).

If other passengers didn't smell it, did it happen? (akin to the tree falls in forest argument)
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:52 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhmlurker
Shamefully I must say I too have noticed this. It helps if there's plenty of air flow ahead of time from overhead vents. Release a tiny amount to see if it's really toxic, and slowly increase dose if one continue to smell nothing. If it's truly deadly then abort further releases and proceed to bomb the lavatory (drop a bomb, fan the pants so there's no trail, then carefully exit and close door immediately).

If other passengers didn't smell it, did it happen? (akin to the tree falls in forest argument)
Well I'm sure you've heard the definition of a surprise...
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

ROTFLMFAO!!!

I have always been under the assumption that the newer seats have some sort of activated charcoal filter in them. They seem to absorb more of the odor. The 737 seats do not, hence the lovely fragrance of the cabins.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others

Or like I saw that on my AA F after a Pax of size left and a few minutes later a lady walks in and quickly jumps back out
The FA went and got some spray. Quite funny.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
This is one of the most unbelievable threads that I have ever read on here. That being said, it is also a rather enjoyable laugh.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I developed anosmia later in life so I'm only a transmitter and not a receiver.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: United GS; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; Hertz President's Circle; FlyClear
Originally Posted by mssgjones
Bose needs to start work on the Smell Cancellation Headphones, model number SBD1.
Funny, but given the some of my recent flight experiences, I'd buy one!
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1Kwoman
I think I sat next to you last week, Stinky! Keep your gas to yourself! I don't know why people think they can get away with secretly passing gas on an airplane...it is no secret to those around you!
If I see you in person, I'll tell you the story about a trip 8 years ago when I went for a curry in London, someone spiked my vindaloo, then I flew to Chicago. The British Airways lav might still be shut down.

But what was I supposed to do, miss the flight?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA MM
Maybe those like the OP would be interested in the device described in this patent: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT6313371

Though the drawings show its utility during baggage claim.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 8:19 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
After watching "Mythbusters" last year on a piece on the "blue flame", I learned that it is only a small percentage of humans that produce methane. I don't remember if it was 20% or 5%, but the number was at most 20% of humans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.