Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:20 pm

Upgrade to First off Z Fare

Flying IAD-GRU in March on Z fare paid ticket. Anyone have any experience/luck in getting an upgrade to first at the gate off a Z fare? I've read that some gate agents used to permit you to pay $$ for an upgrade off a Z fare at the gage - but that apparently took place in 2006. "Officially" I gather Z fares are not upgradeable using miles.

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
There was just a thread on this the other day. The consensus is that SWU cannot be used to upgrade a Z, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

On the other hand, United does offer Upgrade for Cash (UFC) for Z->NF.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
There was just a thread on this the other day. The consensus is that SWU cannot be used to upgrade a Z, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

On the other hand, United does offer Upgrade for Cash (UFC) for Z->NF.
Correct. No miles, CR-1s, e500s, or SWUs: only buy ups.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Hilton Diamond, others
Smile

Agree that SWU will not cut it. Had that experience in December flying NRT to SFO. Tried the usual trick of calling GS desk on different days but had a firm no each time. Also tried at NRT as the flight was cancelled and we were delayed by one day. Even that did not get sympathy despite there being empty F seats on the way over. Only good news was that they did transfer over my HNML to the next days flight (and it tasted reasonably fresh!).

Last edited by hpdave; Jan 17, 2009 at 6:34 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Are there any other cut offs for Z-fares besides 50 days?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (sob...former GS), Marriott Platinum
Sometimes there are 90 day AP requirements - for the lowest Z fares, as you might expect. I can't recall offhand when I last saw those....I think maybe summer biz fare specials, or around the holidays? CO usually loads some Z fare specials to Europe (usually around $3k all in), for example, and UA occasionally matches.

Originally Posted by jgsx
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgsx

There is a Z-fare sale to EU right now:

> Purchase by February 20, 2009
> A 14 day advance purchase is required for travel between February 4, 2009 - April 17, 2009
> Tavel is valid daily; a Saturday night minimum stay is required and a maximum stay of 30 days is permitted

More here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1...serviceclass=2
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cesco.g
There is a Z-fare sale to EU right now
And I believe the SYD Z sale is still going too.

Tavel is valid daily
I thought that was your typo, but I see that's exactly what they have on united.com!
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I believe the SYD Z sale is still going too.

I thought that was your typo, but I see that's exactly what they have on united.com!
Yeah, I 2x checked that one too, b4 posting, but decided to keep to the original.
Further, valid "Daily" vs. only certain days of the week is what the author tired to point out as well, I guess.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
valid "Daily" vs. only certain days of the week is what the author tired to point out as well, I guess.
You missed the point. Note the highlighted word...
Old Feb 7, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
It looks like the Z fares for domestic travel are starting to come down now.

For the transcons, at least, they were always about $22-2500. It looks now like they're more in the $15-1700 range.

Hooray! Now they can call them discounted biz!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold
Z Fare Combinations

My apologies if this was addressed in the past. I did search this thread as well as the board and couldn't find anything.

I am looking at a multi-segment trip to Asia and was hoping to combine two Z-fares. Now, I realize that these fares are heavily restricted but according to the fare rules:
Combinations
SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED. END-ON-END NOT PERMITTED. ADD-ONS PERMITTED. ROUND TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH UA FARES -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE IN RULE Z1ND IN TARIFF IPRP - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA PAC.
This rule does seem to contradict itself and I am not exactly sure what all of this means but I assumed from reading the rule that if I found two cities in Asia with Z fare availability, I would be able to combine them "on a half round trip basis" to form a Z-fare round trip ticket. The .bomb doesn't seem to allow it and I spoke to an agent who said the "system" said ineligible fare.

Example of 2 RT tickets with Z-Fare availability according to .bomb:
SFO-ICN
Outbound 02/28/2009 (Return 03/09/2009)
Traveler Base fare Taxes & fees* Total
Adult 1 USD 3,900.00 USD 277.00 USD 4,177.00

SIN-(HKG)SFO
(Outbound 02/28/2009) Inbound 03/09/2009
Adult 1 USD 4,804.00 USD 405.40 USD 5,209.40
Given the above, can I combine the Outbound SFO-ICN with the Inbound SIN-SFO? RT Fare would be approximately USD 4,639.2 = (4177/2) + (5209.4/2)

If this is in fact not allowed, can anyone explain what the "Combination" rule actually means? What am I missing? I did check the days of the week to make sure the travel dates conform to the permitted travel days under the rules and they do. So, that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any words of wisdom or deciphering of the fare rule?

Thanks much.... AAgoraku
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by AAgoraku
My apologies if this was addressed in the past. I did search this thread as well as the board and couldn't find anything.

I am looking at a multi-segment trip to Asia and was hoping to combine two Z-fares. Now, I realize that these fares are heavily restricted but according to the fare rules:

Example of 2 RT tickets with Z-Fare availability according to .bomb:
SFO-ICN
Outbound 02/28/2009 (Return 03/09/2009)
Adult 1 USD 3,900.00 USD 277.00 USD 4,177.00

SIN-(HKG)SFO
(Outbound 02/28/2009) Inbound 03/09/2009
Adult 1 USD 4,804.00 USD 405.40 USD 5,209.40
Given the above, can I combine the Outbound SFO-ICN with the Inbound SIN-SFO? RT Fare would be approximately USD 4,639.2 = (4177/2) + (5209.4/2)
Sorry that I can't help you with the combination question - I'm sure there's a more knowledgeable person on here - but why UA? For slightly more, you could do SQ SFO-ICN-SIN on a D fare (books into C) for $5235. Much better service, though you won't benefit from the UA BIS bonuses.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Jgish
Sorry that I can't help you with the combination question - I'm sure there's a more knowledgeable person on here - but why UA? For slightly more, you could do SQ SFO-ICN-SIN on a D fare (books into C) for $5235. Much better service, though you won't benefit from the UA BIS bonuses.
Thanks, but not sure what you mean.... I need to fly SFO-ICN, SIN-SFO; not SFO-ICN-SIN. My actual itinerary includes HKG as well but for $830 I can fly in Biz on CX ICN-KUL/SIN with a free stopover in HKG, so I was hoping to combine the Z fares SFO-ICN and SIN-SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.