Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:15 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAgoraku
but I assumed from reading the rule that if I found two cities in Asia with Z fare availability, I would be able to combine them "on a half round trip basis" to form a Z-fare round trip ticket.
No, that would be an Open Jaw, which is not permitted for this fare ("SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.")
Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH M&M, AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Avis NotLast, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks, but not sure what you mean.... I need to fly SFO-ICN, SIN-SFO; not SFO-ICN-SIN. My actual itinerary includes HKG as well but for $830 I can fly in Biz on CX ICN-KUL/SIN with a free stopover in HKG, so I was hoping to combine the Z fares SFO-ICN and SIN-SFO.
Sorry - on SQ it is SFO-ICN-SIN-ICN-SFO.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
No, that would be an Open Jaw, which is not permitted for this fare ("SINGLE/DOUBLE OPEN JAWS/CIRCLE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.")
Thanks, KVS but then what does this part of the rule allow? Can you provide an example?

ROUND TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH UA FARES -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE IN RULE Z1ND IN TARIFF IPRP - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA PAC.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:08 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, KVS but then what does this part of the rule allow? Can you provide an example?

ROUND TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS WITH UA FARES -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS. PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE IN RULE Z1ND IN TARIFF IPRP - BETWEEN THE USA/CANADA-AREA 2/3 VIA PAC.
Not much -- it only allows simple R/T trips with 2 different Z-class fares in each direction.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Z Fare and Upgrade with SWU

I searched United Mileage Plus and the FAQ, so my apologies if this is in the forum somewhere.

Something happened to me for the first time yesterday. My C class ticket on United to NRT, ICN and return to ORD was issued. I depart on 13 April. Went to upgrade to FC with a SWU, and .bomb said no upgrade allowed.

I called UGS, and they said my business class ticket was a Z fare, not upgradeable. I then called Amex (travel agent). Amex said "United just brought back the Z fare, a heavily discounted business class fare."

I did not see any huge drop in the price I normally pay for this itinerary. No matter, really. But this is the first time in four years I have had the Z fare, or a C class ticket that I could not upgrade with a SWU.

Any wisdom from the FT crowd?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:15 pm

Can't use a SWU on a UA Z fare, although you "might" be able to get a GA to take one during check in / at the gate.

If it's actually a Z then it sounds like AMEX owes you some money... Check your itinerary on united.com to verify whether it's a Z or C.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: United GS 1MM, WN A-List, Marriott LTPPE, CLEAR
UG Problems with SWU

I am trying to upgrade a "Z" fare from IAD-FRA on a 777 from Business to First. I called the 1K line and was told that "Z" fares are not eligible for SWU UG. I called twice and got the same answer. Is this true? I can't find anything anywhere about this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:14 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:26 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's true, sorry!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
It's true, sorry!
Thanks for the quick answer. I couldn't find it anywhere and wasn't sure what the case was. I guess I can't complain for a $2300 R/T ticket from IAD-FRA-XXX-MUC-IAD. Maybe they'll offer a paid upsell the day of.

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA CK, BA Gold, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by bwicoplat
Thanks for the quick answer. I couldn't find it anywhere and wasn't sure what the case was. I guess I can't complain for a $2300 R/T ticket from IAD-FRA-XXX-MUC-IAD. Maybe they'll offer a paid upsell the day of.

Thanks!
Also, remember "Z" fares do not grant you access to any UA arrivals lounges (if applicable).
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by ORDGuy79
Also, remember "Z" fares do not grant you access to any UA arrivals lounges (if applicable).
Mercifully I've never had that problem accessing the SEN lounges at FRA on any United Business fare. I'm in C-class outbound from FRA, so I should be all set. Thanks for the heads up. I'll make up for it with the "C" fare two weeks before IAD-FRA-MXP-FRA-IAD.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:38 pm

From the website: http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,50027,00.html

Upgradeable Booking Classes fares: This upgrade may be used on United Business booking classes (C, D) and United Economy booking classes (Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K, L) for travel in Region 1. This upgrade may be used on United Business booking classes (C, D) and United Economy booking classes fares (Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W) for travel in Region 2.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bwicoplat
Maybe they'll offer a paid upsell the day of.
Very likely.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 9:58 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
I'm in the same boat with an upcoming z-fare ORD-MUC-ORD run. I'd heard rumors here of success at the gate with having a SWU applied. If I wanted to try this, would the gate be the best location to try, the front desk, or perhaps the RCC?
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gof
I'd heard rumors here of success at the gate with having a SWU applied. If I wanted to try this, would the gate be the best location to try, the front desk, or perhaps the RCC?
Probably a gate agent. They're usually the most willing to break the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.