Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORD2World
I've tried to upgrade an international Z fare for my past four flights. GS checkin at ORD, Narita RCC, Narita gate, ICN gate, etc.
I got op-uped TPAC from a Z-fare a few months ago, turned out to be new config 744 - a good flight indeed. ^
Old May 14, 2009, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JetAway
Does UA make Z fares non-upgradable to discourage business travelers from buying them?
Probably the same reason they don't allow upgrades from KLST. They don't want to give the product away too cheaply.
Old May 15, 2009, 2:21 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There are no more well-priced RTW fares. They jacked them all up 40-60% this year. And CPAC fares are up even more than that.
This fare is still going - note the travel period is incorrect it should be 2009 not 2008 it is a typo error, I booked this fare in Jan for travel in Sept 09 Syd-Lax-Fra-Bud-Fra-Lax-Syd it cost AUD $7,000.00 inclusive of taxes approx US $5,250.00

It is a Z fare.( Note Australian Departures only)

http://www.travel.com.au/flights/luf....../s10732,eur

Last edited by robertr; May 15, 2009 at 2:42 am Reason: To Add Australian Departures Only
Old May 15, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
You knew the rules when you booked the Z fare. If you want to use your SWUs, book an eligible fare.
Well, not really. My company has been using D fare tickets for past 15 years. Corportate made the switch to Z fare six weeks ago, told no one. We just tell Amex travel we want to go from City A to City B, they pick the fare basis. We have no input as to the fare basis that is used. All Z now.

I had no idea Z fares even existed until four weeks ago. Obviously, no upgrade allowed on website. Call GS desk, was informed they are Z fare. Puzzled, asked a few questions. Now I know. Same situation with the numerous other GS colleagues.

Life goes on. I guess our company got a pretty good Corporate rate on the D tickets, as the Z fares are pretty much the same price (I flew 216,000 BIS miles on United in 2008). I still think there should be some allowance for 1K/GS to use a SWU for an empty FC seat, if available on the day of travel. Am working with Mileage Plus folks.
Old May 22, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I feel your pain. Just purchased a Z fare LAX-JFK. Even though it is domestic, it isn't upgradeable with any of the usual instruments (except for $$: UFC).

I checked the price differential on a D-fare ticket, same exact flight, and the delta was $746.

Unless they offer me a reasonable UFC, I'll just tough it out in C; at least I have an exit row...
Old May 23, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
I feel your pain. Just purchased a Z fare LAX-JFK. Even though it is domestic, it isn't upgradeable with any of the usual instruments (except for $$: UFC).

I checked the price differential on a D-fare ticket, same exact flight, and the delta was $746.

Unless they offer me a reasonable UFC, I'll just tough it out in C; at least I have an exit row...
Are you on a P.S. flight? I flew both p.s. and first, and the only difference is the lie-flat (angled) seat. otherwise, C really is just as good as F.
Old May 23, 2009, 2:34 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Are you on a P.S. flight? I flew both p.s. and first, and the only difference is the lie-flat (angled) seat. otherwise, C really is just as good as F.
Yes, it is a PS flight (a red-eye); I'm connecting to it from a day flight from Maui; I have to attend a funeral in NY. I hate short red-eyes, and want to maximize sleep. I've been in ps F before, and think it about the best chance for some shut-eye on a domestic (UA, anyway) flight. I haven't experienced ps C (yet). Would folks on this board posit that the ps C seat is as good a sleeper seat as the ps F seat? I would love to hear your thoughts...
Old May 23, 2009, 2:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Yes, it is a PS flight (a red-eye); I'm connecting to it from a day flight from Maui; I have to attend a funeral in NY. I hate short red-eyes, and want to maximize sleep. I've been in ps F before, and think it about the best chance for some shut-eye on a domestic (UA, anyway) flight. I haven't experienced ps C (yet). Would folks on this board posit that the ps C seat is as good a sleeper seat as the ps F seat? I would love to hear your thoughts...
I slept like a baby in PS C. JFK-LAX 8:30 departure. Ate a little ( they dont give you much ) drank some and slept like a baby. The foot rests are good too and Im 6 feet tall
Old May 23, 2009, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I slept like a baby in PS C. JFK-LAX 8:30 departure. Ate a little ( they dont give you much ) drank some and slept like a baby. The foot rests are good too and Im 6 feet tall
I find it very difficult to sleep in PS C (I am 6'5"). I have also noticed that on the 757, the floor material is "bouncier" than many other aircraft, which transmits sound and vibration easily to seats (aisle seats especially). So, if other PAX or FAs do a lot of walking up and down the aisle, it can be difficult to sleep. This obviously also applies to PS F but the fewer number of passengers up there reduces the amount of traffic.

As you can probably tell, I am a light sleeper.

TFD
Old May 23, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
slept like a log in C. only need the lie-flat if you're a side sleeper (which I am), but I can still fall asleep in a lay-z-boy type chair. the recline in c is awesome. in some ways, I think the c leather seats are actually more comfortable than the f seats.
Old May 23, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
I agree that the C seats are just as comfortable, if not more so, than PS F. I found myself constantly adjusting the PS F seat, and every time you make one move, some other mechanism moves, requiring another adjustment... As far as the soft product goes, I was disappointed with PS F, and found the C service and meals (lunch and dinner) to be good.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UGS/1K, UA MM flyer, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Upgrading a Z (Discounted Business) Fare on United

I realize that Z fares cannot be upgraded with a SWU.

Has anyone heard of United possibly making an exception to this, perhaps to 1K or UGS, allowing a SWU to be used on a Z fare, if (as an example) there is an available seat on day of departure?

Several times, NRSA folks have taken a seat that could have been used on one of these SWU/Z fare cases (I personally knew all persons involved). Seems like a small gesture to the 1K/UGS crowd. Similar favors are done by United, such as the lack of $150 change fees for award tickets (1K) and possibility of upgrading (with a Regional or SWU) an award ticket.

My company requires Z fares for international C travel, thus I am stuck.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have not witnessed United making this exception if there is a seat available.

How about paying the fare difference to reach a SWU-friendly fare class?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ORD2World
Has anyone heard of United possibly making an exception to this
Gate agents have been known to make every possible exception.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
Gate agents have been known to make every possible exception.
And while these exceptions can, and do, occur, they often go unreported on FT, so as to protect the livelihood of the generous Gate (or RCC) Agent.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.