Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I successfully upgraded using SWU on my Z fare from C to F on August 27. (SFO-PEK)

Gate agent told me Z fare is not upgradable, but granted me the exception because I am a GS. SWU was deducted from my account.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Flew LAX-IAD-FRA-TLV-FRA-SFO-LAX last April via FRA on a Z fare. (About $3200!).

LAX-IAD was on the 777 that was downgraded to a 3 class 767. I was put into F on that one.

At the IAD RCC, I asked about an upgrade C to F. "Not on a Z fare!" she said. Fare enough.

I asked again at the gate. the agent said, "We have an extra F meal loaded, and I hate to see it go to waste. He upgraded me with deducting an SWU.

On the return, asked about an SWU upgrade at the FRA RCC. Denied. I asked again at a service counter, and it was processed by deducting the SWU.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by izzik
ilable.

How about paying the fare difference to reach a SWU-friendly fare class?
What's the process for paying the fare difference when the employer's travel agency uses the employer's credit card to buy the fare?

Originally Posted by zrs70

LAX-IAD was on the 777 that was downgraded to a 3 class 767.

Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765
What's the process for paying the fare difference when the employer's travel agency uses the employer's credit card to buy the fare?

Old configuration!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
The agent looked on the screen and told me F was full, but made a remark that next time I should approach her before boarding starts....not sure what she meant?
Since boarding had begun it was probably already past the time that she processed the rest of the upgrade list and possibly even NRSA's... I think she probably meant you would have had a chance if you had asked earlier.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by zrs70
Old configuration!
Er, wait, there's a 3-class 767 with old config still flying? I thought all 767's currently flying for United are either 2-class domestic, or 3-class new international config.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Er, wait, there's a 3-class 767 with old config still flying? I thought all 767's currently flying for United are either 2-class domestic, or 3-class new international config.
This was in April. To add to my luck, the personal video wasn't working. Got a $250 voucher for that. Same thing happened on my return. Another $250 voucher!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Anyone manage to upgrade domestic Z?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but the search tool won't accept "Z" as a keyword ...

Btw, I meant upgrade with CR-1s or e500s, not op-ups.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Officially it's not allowed. But yes, there have been reports of success at the airport if you find an agent willing to break the rules or they make a mistake and don't notice it's a Z fare.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Thanks. Sounds like ual.com won't allow it then.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Thanks. Sounds like ual.com won't allow it then.
defintely a no for united.com or any way in advance
but as SEA1K4EVR reported, some have been successful at the gate -- similar those who have also upgraded K, L, S, ... (international) fares

UFC, if offered, can be used with a Z fare and Z fares will be upgradeable in the new mileage upgrade with co-pay option in 2010.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2009 at 10:23 pm Reason: clarified was referring to international fares
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
defintely a no for united.com or any way in advance
but as SEA1K4EVR reported, some have been successful at the gate -- similiar those who have also upgraded K, L, S, ... fares
Since when did K, L, S cannot upgrade domestically ? Z cannot upgrade no matter domestic or international period.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
I have not succeeded when I have asked.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Since when did K, L, S cannot upgrade domestically ? Z cannot upgrade no matter domestic or international period.
was referring to K,L,S, ... international with SWU which has been discussed/debated extensively -- will edit post to make clear
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
was referring to K,L,S, ... international with SWU which has been discussed/debated extensively
I think OP was asking domestic not international.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.