Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA 'Z' Fare (Discounted Business Class)" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.14 MM ALASKA MVPG
Not necessarily, it is giving you fares that are available. Try booking far into the future, others have said >60 days.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
What route are you most interested in? Looking at ExpertFlyer I see there are Z fares SFO-HKG in January for $4,750. They have a 3 day advance purchase and no minimum stay. But a lot of Z fares do have 50-60 day or more (I saw a 90 day one the other day) advance purchase requirement and some require stays as long as 10 days. The lowest Y fare for the dates I chose was $4,774. Just slightly more.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ptspellman
Not necessarily, it is giving you fares that are available. Try booking far into the future, others have said >60 days.
Some Z fares are 90 days, some 60 days, some 50 days, some 30 days, .... the cheapest went offered are the ones with the longest advance fare. Usually one one or two Z fares are in any particular market (and sometimes none)

Y fares are likely to be refundable, change fee free. Z fares are not and usually require min stay 7, 10, ... days (but your sitting in business).

Added: SFO-FRA, 50 day ZNC50E is $3,069 and Y1 is $5,942 / B1FE is $3,888

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm Reason: added some fares SFO-FRA
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Booking Z fares - where are the fare rules published?

I'm trying to book a SFO-BKK-PEK-SFO itinerary the last week of February. I've gotten the SFO-BKK (via NRT) leg to price out with a Z fare, but can't get PEK-SFO on March 6 to price out with anything other than D/C. Company rules say Z fares only, so it's no-go.

The flights show Z9, so I suspect I'm not meeting the fare rules rather than there being no seats available. Question: How can I find all the published Z fares applicable to a city pair, along with the fare rules? If I can find the fare rules I might be able to adjust my travel so I fit within them.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I was thinking it had something to do with the Open Jaw and not being picked up as an RT, but I just did a dummy booking PEK-SFO-PEK with the first leg being March 6. Both legs show Z9, but it is booking in C. .bomb worn out from the big weekend? (I asked for "business lowest".

You might need to call on this.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Most Z fares (that I know of) are for round-trip or open jaw. Looks like you are doing a circle trip. That might be the issue.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I got a dummy Z fare to come up for SFO-PEK... the first line is travel must be Mon-Thur.

Also seems to require 10 day stay, and 50 day advance purchase.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You could join ExpertFlyer, www.expertflyer.com. It's a pay site but has a wealth of info about fares and you can find all the published fares for city pairs/dates. You might be able to sign up for a free trial.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I got a dummy Z fare to come up for SFO-PEK... the first line is travel must be Mon-Thur.

Also seems to require 10 day stay, and 50 day advance purchase.
So, if Z fares aren't good on Saturday, why did my Saturday flight show "Z9"?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
The buckets themselves show up on all flights.. not just on flights where there's a published fare. There are also L, S, and T buckets on all flights but it doesn't mean any of those fares are actually available.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:43 pm

i have a Z fare leaving out of west coast, international, on a Saturday
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Plus IIRC, some places they are good on other days of the week, some have different minimum purchase, some have different minimum stays.

Not all Z fares are alike.

I was just citing the Z fare rules of a random dates I plugged into for SFO-PEK.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You could join ExpertFlyer, www.expertflyer.com. It's a pay site but has a wealth of info about fares and you can find all the published fares for city pairs/dates. You might be able to sign up for a free trial.
+1 on this. You can plug in where you want to go, and look at the rules for the published Z fares available.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
look at some Z fares for SFO-PEK-SFO, ZWR50, for early february

STOPOVERS : STOPOVERS ARE NOT PERMITTED AT INTERMEDIATE POINTS.
COMBINATIONS : CIRCLE TRIPS NOT PERMITTED.
note for the same timeframe, did not see Z fares for PEK-SFO-PEK
Old Dec 21, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Thanks all for the info. I did sign up for ExpertFlyer and it had exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I struck out on availability, so I booked the return in H and will try to upgrade with a SWU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.